BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2014-01-02 12:06 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN
Thanks for all of the compliments guys! Carl, I got it fitted at the LBS that I bought it from and it feels at least ten times better.

2014-01-02 12:15 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

I recently started doing sufferfest videos. If you only have an hour to do your workouts they are perfect. They throw in some brutal intervals and I am always gasping for breath by the end of each video. I highly recommend them.
2014-01-02 12:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi I am new to triathlons and beginnertri forums so I decided to look for some help.

NAME: Aaron

STORY: This is my second year of triathlons. I was in track throughout all of high school and mainly participated in the 800 and mile. After graduating I joined the Army and now I am currently attending Iowa State University. Without track or army my life felt a void, so a friend told me about the ISU triathlon team. I hesitantly joined due to my lack of swimming skills. I have participated in local 5k, 10k, half-marathons and Olympic distance triathlons. I enjoy the workouts but I still do them by myself in the wee hours of the morning before work/class.

CURRENT TRAINING: I recently hired a personal coaching for this year in hopes of being able to PR and become more competitive. Looking to get in 10-14 hour weeks of training consistently without getting injured hopefully. I am currently doing more strength work to rehab my bum hip and I plan on doing a lot of swimming over the winter time since that is my major weakness.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Dam to Dam half marathon, pigmantri 70.3, collegiate national championship in Tempe, AZ, and Hy-Vee Tri. Maybe more if I move back to richmond.

GOALS: 2:15.xx Oly, 5:30.xx 70.3, 1:30.xx half marathon

Edited by TRIal_of_miles 2014-01-02 8:11 PM
2014-01-02 1:11 PM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Mike -- love the running tips. Great info. Thanks. My favorite was the "once you can run an hour its more fun". could not agree more! When I was a healthy runner, my weekend long runs were 12 miles or so, and they were just a joy. There was some sublime peace to be found in those early AM runs. My 2014 run goal is to get back there. Will take time, but I plan on getting there. Sounds funny to say "I'd rather run 11 miles than 3" but its so true.

Aaron -- nice bike p@rn!! now ride it like you stole it!!

Snow coming down crazy right now. Fun commute ahead.....
2014-01-02 2:21 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Thanks for the advice George. I'm worried about my swim also. I really started worrying when I read about the risk of heart attacks and the accounts of panic attacks that some people experience during the swim. I was swimming here in a river up until the end of September. I'm gonna just have to bite the bullet and get my time in here. I'll take any advice you have. So far I've decided that I'm not gonna start the swim cold. I plan on doing some type of aerobic for 10 min prior to all my swims including race day. . There aren't any swim coaches near me. I'm out in the boonies. I'm just going to have to research and self diagnose myself.
2014-01-02 2:38 PM
in reply to: nxcoco

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by nxcoco

Thanks for the advice George. I'm worried about my swim also. I really started worrying when I read about the risk of heart attacks and the accounts of panic attacks that some people experience during the swim. I was swimming here in a river up until the end of September. I'm gonna just have to bite the bullet and get my time in here. I'll take any advice you have. So far I've decided that I'm not gonna start the swim cold. I plan on doing some type of aerobic for 10 min prior to all my swims including race day. . There aren't any swim coaches near me. I'm out in the boonies. I'm just going to have to research and self diagnose myself.

Panic attacks and getting out of breath are no big deal if you have a plan. For getting out of breath, plan on stopping, treading water for 30 seconds and looking around while smiling that you are doing this cool sport. For panic attacks, plan on swimming over to a kayak and holding on until things calm down. If you are still worried, you can take a look at this device http://myswimit.com/

2014-01-02 2:43 PM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles

Hi I am new to triathlons and beginnertri forums so I decided to look for some help.

NAME: Aaron

STORY: This is my second year of triathlons. I was in track throughout all of high school and mainly participated in the 800 and mile. After graduating I joined the Army and now I am currently attending Iowa State University. Without track or army my life felt a void, so a friend told me about the ISU triathlon team. I hesitantly joined due to my lack of swimming skills. I have participated in local 5k, 10k, half-marathons and Olympic distance triathlons. I enjoy the workouts but I still do them by myself in the wee hours of the morning before work/class.

CURRENT TRAINING: I recently hired a personal coaching for this year in hopes of being able to PR and become more competitive. Looking to get in 10-14 hour weeks of training consistently without getting injured hopefully. I am currently doing more strength work to rehab my bum hip and I plan on doing a lot of swimming over the winter time since that is my major weakness.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Dam to Dam half marathon, pigmantri 70.3 and Hy-Vee Tri. Maybe more if I move back to richmond.

GOALS: 2:15.xx Oly, 5:30.xx 70.3, 1:30.xx half marathon

Hey Aaron, not sure if I told you this when you introduced yourself in the last session, but I graduated from Iowa State in 1988. I loved it there.
2014-01-02 5:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

While biking outside in mid-winter I was thinking there are some things about Fresno that don't suck.  So I snapped a couple pictures on my normal bike route:

I'd be interested to see pics of where other Hashers and Mashers are training.

2014-01-02 7:37 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Wow! blue sky, warm looking weather, bike lanes. Looks great.

There's a blizzard outside my front door right now....
2014-01-02 7:45 PM

Joe, nice place you have to train! And look at the wide shoulders on the road! I don't have pics, but imagine winter wonderland. It looks better through the window than actually being outside,though, and today I chose working out in the gym's indoor track, did some speed work and drills.
Carlo, in my limited experience, in races with cold water swim, a "warm-up" swim is necessary. I had a race with water in 50s and air temps in 40s, and had no wetsuit so I went into water just for start lineup. From cold water shock, my breathing became shallow and I was not able to do bilateral breathing for half of the swim course, 5 min in the water before the start would have made difference.
Mike, thanks for posting running tips. How many miles do you average per week?
2014-01-02 8:34 PM
in reply to: tukutuku

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by tukutuku I had a race with water in 50s and air temps in 40s, and had no wetsuit so I went into water just for start lineup. From cold water shock, my breathing became shallow and I was not able to do bilateral breathing for half of the swim course, 5 min in the water before the start would have made difference.
Holy smokes!  No wetsuit!  And I'm impressed you bilateral breathe during races.  I breathe out of one side the whole time.  Or rather, I mix it up, but only one side at a time.  I am more relaxed that way.

2014-01-02 8:52 PM
in reply to: tukutuku

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by tukutuku

Joe, nice place you have to train! And look at the wide shoulders on the road! I don't have pics, but imagine winter wonderland. It looks better through the window than actually being outside,though, and today I chose working out in the gym's indoor track, did some speed work and drills.
Carlo, in my limited experience, in races with cold water swim, a "warm-up" swim is necessary. I had a race with water in 50s and air temps in 40s, and had no wetsuit so I went into water just for start lineup. From cold water shock, my breathing became shallow and I was not able to do bilateral breathing for half of the swim course, 5 min in the water before the start would have made difference.
Mike, thanks for posting running tips. How many miles do you average per week?

Jurga, I usually average 20-25 miles per week depending on what's going on. On another subject, do you log your workouts somewhere? If not, consider logging them here. It makes it easy for others in the group to follow along on your training and send encouraging notes using the inspire feature. Its also nice to be able to look back on the year and see your totals. Let me know if you have any questions about it.
2014-01-02 8:59 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Looks like a nice place to ride Joe! I put a lot of pictures on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/ransick
2014-01-03 12:27 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
What topics would everyone like to cover during this session? Here is the list I have so far:

Nutrition
Swimming
Biking
Running
Strength

I thought I would share what I've learned since getting into triathlons then everyone can add on what they've learned and ask additional questions.

That said, are there any questions anyone wants to ask now?
2014-01-03 3:09 PM

User image

Here's mine: This off-season, I've been enjoying the luxury of running more (and swimming more) than I could while training all three disciplines. I expect to start the season with much more run and swim fitness than last season. Once I get on a three-sport training plan, I'm concerned about losing fitness and not being able to maintain the gains that I've accrued, unless I significantly increase my training time (which was about 4-5 hours/week during my last 4-5 month season's training plan). I had a BT introductory sprint swim-focused training plan (2 runs, 2 bikes, 3 swims). Also, I want to fit in my strength training. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
2014-01-03 4:00 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by PsyTri Here's mine: This off-season, I've been enjoying the luxury of running more (and swimming more) than I could while training all three disciplines. I expect to start the season with much more run and swim fitness than last season. Once I get on a three-sport training plan, I'm concerned about losing fitness and not being able to maintain the gains that I've accrued, unless I significantly increase my training time (which was about 4-5 hours/week during my last 4-5 month season's training plan). I had a BT introductory sprint swim-focused training plan (2 runs, 2 bikes, 3 swims). Also, I want to fit in my strength training. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As always, I preface anything I say with "I'm no expert" but I have a couple thoughts.  First, if you are following a plan, by all means follow the plan.  But if I were you I'd avoid the swim focused plans at this point.  Once you are comfortable with the distance you have to go, you don't really *need* to focus on the swim.  Which is to say, if you only have time for 7 workouts in a week, I'd only devote a max of 2 of those to swim, honestly if it were me and I only had time for 7 workouts I'd only swim once per week.  Once you are comfortable enough with the swim that actually finishing it is not a concern, the swim becomes the least important part of the triathlon by far.  The difference in time between the FOP and MOP or BOMOP swimmers is not nearly as significant as same for biking and running.  Also, after doing Masters for a few years at varying degrees of committment, I've found that once I'm at my normal swim fitness I can maintain by only swimming on average 1.5 times/week (once one week and twice the next, on average).  Swimming two or three times per week doesn't make enough of a better swimming than swimming 1.5 times per week to justify the time at that point.  To become a better swimmer I've got to get in the pool at least 5 times/week, which isn't going to happen.  Granted this is only relevant once I'm in proper swim condition.  If I don't get in a pool for a few weeks it takes a few weeks of swimming at least 3 times/week to get back into condition.

That's long winded, but I think it's an important point.  YMMV though.

Is 4-5 hours/week the most you can fit in your schedule?  I'd assumed you were doing more than that, though I haven't looked at people's logs in awhile.  If you can I'd really encourage you to work up to more time.  I'd really encourage you to run at least 3 times/week, 4 if you can fit it in, and bike basically as much possible.  Like, seriously.  And swim enough so that you stay comfortable in the water.  Unless you really want to be a FOP swimmer in which case why aren't you in a pool right now.

2014-01-03 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

My week was going so well and then I had to cancel my swim tonight because of out of town visitors. But hopefully I'll be able to get it in tomorrow morning followed by long run, then kids birthday parties, then bbq, then sleep.  Then hopefully a bike ride Sunday (fingers crossed).  What's everyone else got on the docket this weekend?

Is anyone doing any early season races?  I may not have a race until July.  I'm hoping to squeeze in a training sprint or oly in the spring, but we'll see.

2014-01-03 8:13 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
I agree with Joe on minimal swimming once you are comfortable doing the distance unless you really need the work. If you look at the time spent doing each discipline at a tri, it's roughly 3:2:1 bike:run:swim so for a balanced plan, I would bike three hours for every two running for every one swimming.
2014-01-03 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
This will be a catch-up post:

PsyTri - Thanks for posting the stats. I was looking forward to them. Like Joe I really slacked off after my last race in September. As for training - what levels are you planning to race at? I found I was training at 12hrs/wk avg for my HIM. You're younger and faster than me so you likely wouldn't have to train as hard.
FWIW - I swim 3X/wk (M/W/F) mainly because I like it. I could easily cut back to one or two/week. I also like to run on the days I swim and then bike onT/Th/Sat. I'm slow at everything but if I work hard at swimming I'll save 3 minutes in a HIM. If I train hard on the bike I can save 30 minutes. And, if I train hard on the run I can save up to 40 minutes. So I know I need to focus on the bike and run and just maintain my swim. This year I intend to add a 4th run on Sat as a brick to my bike ride. There seems to be a lot of controversy on bricks but I know for me they are important to improve my run off the bike.

Trial of Miles - I ride a FELT as well but your black beauty makes my bike look like a tricycle. I'm envious. My wife called my first bike, "My Precious." I haven't named my new bike yet either.

Ransick - I really enjoyed the running tips. Someday, I hope to run over an hour regularly. I ran again today and mostly felt good but I've definitely lost some of my fitness since last Sept. I'm thinking my run week will be: Mon 1:00/Wed 1:00/Fri 1:30/Sat :30. I wanted to run 1:30 today in Zn2 but quickly realized it was more than I could handle so I'll have to build up to it.
While I'm on the topic, I think for me running has to be my main focus for this year. I should include some strength training as well.

Nick - Out of curiosity, how deep is your river for swimming? In terms of advice I still consider myself a beginner in swimming. I've only been swimming 2 yrs (as of yesterday). I have found some books helpful. Look for Swim Speed Secrets by S. Taormina and of course lots of websites and Youtube. If you can travel to a pool and get even just a couple private coaching lessons it will greatly help you.
For your first Sprint, think of it as a learning experience rather than a race. And, practice calming yourself - especially for the swim - just start slow and don't let yourself get excited (easier said than done). Just ask questions as you progress.

Joe - Nice pics. Surprisingly, not so different from our area. I'll try to get some pics to show everyone.
I'm still lazy this weekend - just a short run tomorrow. I'll get back at it on Monday with a 9+ hr week.
Early season is May for me and starts with a Du. I will be looking for some run races in March or April to give me something to train for but I'm not yet aware of any.
2014-01-03 10:58 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Hi all... I just joined this site tonight, and I think this is a good group for me to join. Hoping you have room for one more!

My name is Denny, from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I decided a few months ago that 2014 would be the year I do my first Tri. I actually had no idea that there were Sprint Tri's. I always thought you had to do a full length Tri. So I started training on my own, and it's going fairly well, but I need the additional help.

Current times:

1k swim - just under 30 minutes (this needs to get better)
20k bike - around 45 minutes (but to be clear, this is on an indoor spin bike with a computer, haven't yet done a real ride outside... oh and I need a bike too!)
5 k run - averaging 27 minutes

I did my own first "fake" tri at the gym yesterday and it took approx. 1h 35 (transition from pool to bike is not optimal at the gym)

Goals for 2014 -> 3 or 4 sprint tri's in the Calgary / Southern Alberta area.

Other cross training sports: orienteering, lacrosse, canoeing

My biggest questions:
- what gear do I need to invest in?
- what's the best way to prep just before an event (day before / morning)?
- what is the best way to eat during / before an event?
- how do I choose a bike to buy?

Looking forward to learning lots!

Thanks
Denny
2014-01-03 11:30 PM
in reply to: DPoulin

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by DPoulinMy name is Denny, from Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Welcome, Denny!  Holy smokes do we have a lot of Canadians in this group.  [insert Canadian stereotype joke here.  Probably something of maple syrup or something ] How old are you?  Just curious.

Originally posted by DPoulinMy biggest questions: - what gear do I need to invest in? - what's the best way to prep just before an event (day before / morning)? - what is the best way to eat during / before an event? - how do I choose a bike to buy? Looking forward to learning lots! Thanks Denny
What's your budget like and what do you already have?  What you really should get is a bike, at least one or two pairs of tri shorts, and a good pair of running shoes.  You could also get a watch, tri jerseys, and tons of other things.  Really depends on you.  I'm on my fourth year doing tris and I'm still not even close to happy with my collection.  Bike is the most important thing though.

Best way to eat before a race is however your stomach is comfortable eating.  Nothing new on race day.  There's a handful of articles on the main site on this topic, I'll see if I can find some this weekend.  In the end though it all boils down to trying things out and figuring out what works for you.  I personally like a smoothie, maybe a clif bar, and plenty of electrolyte drink.  Timed well.  There are articles about this too. 

How to choose a bike again strongly depends on your budget and your own personal preferences.  If you have the money and you don't think this is something your going to do once and forget about it, the best thing you can do is go to your local bike shop and have them help you out.  They will get you on the bike that fits you and will help you with service and everything else.  Or, you can play the safe route and find a used bike that fits you.  Do you know anyone that rides?

2014-01-04 10:01 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

My week was going so well and then I had to cancel my swim tonight because of out of town visitors. But hopefully I'll be able to get it in tomorrow morning followed by long run, then kids birthday parties, then bbq, then sleep.  Then hopefully a bike ride Sunday (fingers crossed).  What's everyone else got on the docket this weekend?

Is anyone doing any early season races?  I may not have a race until July.  I'm hoping to squeeze in a training sprint or oly in the spring, but we'll see.

I'm hoping to run both days, surprise surprise :-).
2014-01-04 10:25 AM
in reply to: DPoulin

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Denny!

My biggest questions:
- what gear do I need to invest in?
The list of what you need is pretty short, jammer swim suit, running shoes, tri shorts and top, bike and bike helmet. If the water is cold, you'll need a wetsuit. Check out XTerra suits, they are reasonable and you can get 50% off with discount code BT or wait for their specials. The list of what you'll want will be limited only by your budget.

- what's the best way to prep just before an event (day before / morning)?
The general rule of thumb is nothing new on race day. Though I've learned that if I want to avoid nervously hitting the porta potty a half a dozen times or so, I get up at 4 am, eat peanut butter toast, have a cup of coffee, do my business then go back to sleep until I have to get up and head to the race.

- what is the best way to eat during / before an event?
For a sprint, you really don't need to eat during the race but you can if you want to. Practice with different things during training to find what you like. Common race foods ar GU, cliff bars, honey waffle stingers or liquid with calories like Gatorade or maltodextrin mixes.

- how do I choose a bike to buy?
Like Joe said, go to your local bike shop and test ride some. Figure out your budget and stick to it. I went with an entry level road bike and added aero bars to it figuring I could take them off if I ever wanted to ride with roadies (they typically frown on aero bars and tri bikes) and that when I decide to do a full IM, I might by a dedicated tri bike.

Keep asking question. We all love talking about this stuff.
2014-01-04 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Denny - welcome and there is lots of great info & advice to be found here. I started looking for beginner stuff here 3 1/2 years ago when thinking about my first, and was sucked in . Hope you experience the same. No matter what comes up during training, make sure you have fun!

Survived the snowstorm, and stuck to trainer rides and snow shoveling to get some work in. will try to run tomorrow on the snowy/icy roads using my new Yak Trax. Should be interesting. never tried them before, and will report back on how they worked out.
2014-01-04 2:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

windsor, Ontario
Starting doing strength training 3 days a week on Monday focusing on my core....my flabby, flabby core lol

Edited by GregDufour 2014-01-04 2:56 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers Part 2 - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 39

RELATED POSTS

KiterChick's beginner friendly group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11

Started by KiterChick
Views: 21039 Posts: 272

2014-05-16 10:43 AM KiterChick

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37234 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19749 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24219 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16018 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
The swim is ALWAYS a cause for concern when it comes to competing in a triathlon. This is the event for which you need to concentrate on RELAXING.