General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How snug for shorts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-25 12:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Subject: How snug for shorts?
Question: How snug should bib shorts be? Should they feel like compression shorts or be looser? The suspender part fits fine and isn't restrictive at all. I'm just curious about the leg gripper area since it's a bit snug. If it matters they are DeSoto 400 milers and don't have those silicone gripper thingies for the legs just a compressed fabric. Am I to assume that's why the bottom of the shorts is snug compared to the rest? Due to the cost I want to make sure they are supposed to be snug before I take the tags off. It seems the "junk" area isn't too tight either. My old shorts were to big so I really don't know how a proper pair should feel.

Sorry for the novel I wrote just trying to be super specific.

P.S. Are they also supposed to make my belly look enormous?

2013-12-25 1:12 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: How snug for shorts?
Sounds like they fit right to me. DeSoto shorts do fit like compression wear in the legs.

FWIW I started out buying DeSoto shorts in size medium and thought they were really tight....... Until I 'talked' to Emilio DeSoto who suggested that I should be wearing smalls. Smalls feel very snug when I put them on but feel great for training and racing.

If you really want the definitive answer, email the man himself: [email protected] (pretty sure that is right). He is well known for personally answering his emails and is a great resource.
2013-12-25 6:29 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lenexa, KS
I use the 400 mile bibs as well and mine are pretty tight in the legs. I like the way they fit and the compression part feels good on the long rides. Sounds like yours are probably about right if they're tight.

2013-12-25 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Agreed that it sounds like they fit right.  It took me a while to get used to the "right" fit when I started road riding again (I, too, initially bought too big a pair, then sized right - which is much more comfortable on longer efforts).

I still find some of them a little uncomfortable for the boys, depending on the brand - even with the rest of the fit right.  So, sometimes you need a brand or model that is best suited to you (literally), but sounds like yours are there.  Castelli, for instance, are nutcrackers (hey, had to use the seasonal reference) for me - even when sized perfectly.

Ride for a bit and you'll love them.  MUCH better than too big a pair, IME, especially if they're not compressing in the more "sensitive" areas.  Now get out there and ride!  Ride like the wind!!  

Matt

2013-12-26 9:40 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I prefer them to be rather snug around the legs so I would agree with the others that they sound like they fit just fine.

Regardless, as long as the twig and berries aren't bouncing around, you probably have a good fit.

2013-12-27 1:31 AM

User image

The 951
Desotos fight pretty tight. Almost sausage leg inducing. But, you can ask Mrs Desoto who is a member here if you have any fit concerns.

2014-01-25 10:40 PM
in reply to: BikesOfALesserGod

User image

San Diego
I sure am! Thanks for the introduction! But you are all correct, it sounds to me like this is the proper size. They will (& should) feel the tightest they will ever feel the first time you put them on. If you try them on and they're loose, they're too big. So good job on the sizing - if you have more specific questions you can always email me personally at: [email protected].
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How snug for shorts? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri shorts vs bike shorts for 1/2 IM

Started by tmason
Views: 1632 Posts: 17

2007-06-18 9:11 PM maura9900

bike shorts over tri shorts?

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1624 Posts: 10

2007-06-12 6:59 AM BCYoder

Bike shorts over tri shorts for HIM???

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2070 Posts: 22

2007-04-01 3:07 PM ChrisM

Running shorts under bike shorts

Started by NewburghBrett
Views: 1369 Posts: 9

2006-11-21 8:20 AM KSH

bike shorts/tri shorts

Started by l0wnsl0
Views: 1568 Posts: 15

2006-02-20 11:40 AM cbost2678
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 7, 2013
author : GaryRM
comments : 1
Underwater Audio short-cord swim bud review.

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : December 10, 2009
author : stubberoo
comments : 0
The first time out and 50 meters in my oxygen was in very short supply. I realized that all that running didn't do much for this sport.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on further swim improvements, spicing up endurance swims, kicking for triathlon, pull buoy usage, not moving while kicking and rest intervals for fast/short sets.
date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.

date : May 30, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day butterflies, long Ironman training bricks, training in the heat, hydration, going hard in a short race, and hammering the swim.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle