of 3

2014-01-02 10:17 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: Another definition of irony

Originally posted by crusevegas

No, I'm asking why I should believe someone can predict the future climate and that polar icecaps are deteriorating when they can't even tell how thick the ice is that they are trying to navigate through today. 

How thick the ice is today isn't a prediction of weather is it? 

Well for one thing it isn't like ice just formed around the boat because it was so cold and they got stuck.  They got stuck because pieces of an iceberg that broke apart three years ago (likely in part because of the warming of the ocean) got blown across the ocean and blocked it in, so in that respect yes, weather had a lot to do with the boat getting stuck in the ice. The failure to predict how thick ice that blew across an ocean and piled up would be has nothing at all to do with how good a prediction of the future climate is, which is being done by completely different people with a completely different goal at a completely different time scale.

There's no need to predict the polar icecaps are deteriorating.  We know that from direct measurements, it's happening right now.  But predicting ice thickness from year to year IS highly dependent on weather and natural variation. In the antarctic all of the sea ice melts and re-forms every year and so it's highly dependent on the short-term temperature and winds - in other words, weather. 

2014-01-02 10:25 PM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Pro

I swear, if ONE more baby seal dies........I'll lose it!!

2014-01-02 10:27 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Hey Drew, I know Al is a whacko and doesn't represent the science in any way.  Sometimes I like to poke fun at him, but obviously he's not a scientist and I think we can agree that many (if not most) of his claims are not based in science.

You mention that "Marc Marano who's a political scientist who heads a climate change denial website getting funding from Exxon and Chevron.  His testimony is complete bunk - sentence after sentence of misinterpretation, cherry picking and selective omission".  I don't know where his funding comes from, or what all he does but if you're claiming that his source of funding results in his scientific conclusions being "bunk", then I think you would be in agreement with my major issue of the Government being the monopolistic source of funding for the AGW scientific community.  The US Government has a monopoly on both the technology and research that goes into climate science and they have a vested interest (more tax revenue) in the outcome so therefore all of their science must be "bunk". (kidding of course, but that's a two way street)

http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/originals/climate_money.html

2014-01-02 10:30 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

Hey Drew, I know Al is a whacko and doesn't represent the science in any way.  Sometimes I like to poke fun at him, but obviously he's not a scientist and I think we can agree that many (if not most) of his claims are not based in science.

You mention that "Marc Marano who's a political scientist who heads a climate change denial website getting funding from Exxon and Chevron.  His testimony is complete bunk - sentence after sentence of misinterpretation, cherry picking and selective omission".  I don't know where his funding comes from, or what all he does but if you're claiming that his source of funding results in his scientific conclusions being "bunk", then I think you would be in agreement with my major issue of the Government being the monopolistic source of funding for the AGW scientific community.  The US Government has a monopoly on both the technology and research that goes into climate science and they have a vested interest (more tax revenue) in the outcome so therefore all of their science must be "bunk". (kidding of course, but that's a two way street)

Tony, I can't bear to look......please tell me that the dark blue is not dead baby seals!!

2014-01-02 10:31 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

btw, on the premise of this thread I agree with Drew that the boat being stuck has nothing to do with AGW or not.  It's simply a weather event that they got caught in.  I do agree there's always some "irony" with things like this or things like global warming conferences getting snowed in, but it's mostly for humor value as far as I'm concerned.

I'm glad the crew had some fun with it and everyone looks to be able to safely get out.

2014-01-02 10:57 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

Tony, I can't bear to look......please tell me that the dark blue is not dead baby seals!!

Unfortunately I think it falls under the light blue technology field.  I read on the internet that most of the funding is towards machines to kill baby seals.  

2014-01-03 11:09 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by drewb8

Propaganda:
"the entire North 'polarized' cap will disappear in 5 years" - Al Gore 2008

Reality:
Antarctic sea ice hit 35-year record high - Sep 2013
Arctic Ice Area Highest In Seven Years – Blows Away The Record For Ice Growth - Sep 2013

"The scientific reality is that on virtually every claim — from A-Z — the claims of the promoters of man-made climate fears are failing, and in many instances the claims are moving in the opposite direction. The global warming movement is suffering the scientific death of a thousand cuts." - Marc Morano testimony to the US Congress 5/13

(If you're into this sort of thing, I'd recommend reading Morano's written testimony)
http://www.climatedepot.com/2013/05/31/submitted-written-testimony-of-climate-depots-marc-morano-at-congressional-hearing-on-climate-change-the-origins-and-response-to-climate-change/

If you're into this sort of thing, I'd recommend you not listen to Al Gore who's on the dire end of things or Marc Marano who's a political scientist who heads a climate change denial website getting funding from Exxon and Chevron.  His testimony is complete bunk - sentence after sentence of misinterpretation, cherry picking and selective omission - he makes Al Gore look like neutral and level headed. 

As for your so-called 'reality', it's nothing but more cherry picking and incorrect interpretations:

Antarctic sea ice hit 35-year record high - Sep 2013

"Antarctic sea ice has shown long term growth since satellites began measurements in 1979. This is an observation that has been often cited as proof against global warming. However, rarely is the question raised: why is Antarctic sea ice increasing? The implicit assumption is it must be cooling around Antarctica. This is decidedly not the case. In fact, the Southern Ocean has been warming faster than the rest of the world's oceans. Globally from 1955 to 1995, oceans have been warming at 0.1°C per decade. In contrast, the Southern Ocean has been warming at 0.17°C per decade. Not only is the Southern Ocean warming, it is warming faster than the global trend. (from here)

Figure 3: Surface air temperature over the ice-covered areas of the Southern Ocean (top).Sea ice extent, observed by satellite (bottom). (Zhang 2007)

If the Southern Ocean is warming, why is Antarctic sea ice increasing? There are several contributing factors. One is the drop in ozone levels over Antarctica. The hole in the ozone layer above the South Pole has caused cooling in the stratosphere (Gillet 2003). This strengthens the cyclonic winds that circle the Antarctic continent (Thompson 2002). The wind pushes sea ice around, creating areas of open water known as polynyas. More polynyas lead to increased sea ice production (Turner 2009).

Another contributor is changes in ocean circulation. The Southern Ocean consists of a layer of cold water near the surface and a layer of warmer water below. Water from the warmer layer rises up to the surface, melting sea ice. However, as air temperatures warm, the amount of rain and snowfall also increases. This freshens the surface waters, leading to a surface layer less dense than the saltier, warmer water below. The layers become more stratified and mix less. Less heat is transported upwards from the deeper, warmer layer. Hence less sea ice is melted (Zhang 2007). An increase in melting of Antarctic land ice will also contribute to the increased sea ice production (Bintanga et al. 2013).

In summary, Antarctic sea ice is a complex and unique phenomenon. The simplistic interpretation that it must be cooling around Antarctica is decidedly not the case. Warming is happening - how it affects specific regions is complicated."

And if you look at Antarctic land ice, it's decreasing to the tune of about 70 giga-tons per year (70,000,000,000 tons).  That's a lot, although somehow Marano forgot to mention it in his testimony.

Arctic Ice Area Highest In Seven Years – Blows Away The Record For Ice Growth - Sep 2013

The reason there was a record for ice growth is that last year blew away the record for smallest amount of ice extent ever - a return anywhere close to the overall trend of a decrease of 13% per year was going to be an 'improvement'.  But if you look at the overall trend, not some cherry picked and misinterpreted claims, arctic ice extent is unmistakably decreasing.

And not only that, if you actually care about what's happening instead of misrepresenting facts, the important metric for the arctic is ice volume, not ice extent.  Multi-year ice is much thicker and locks up much more water and most importantly hangs around much longer.  You can have a huge extent of ice area, but if it's all thin, single year ice that just froze that winter (low in volume), it will all melt away much more easily too next summer when it gets warm again.  And guess what, multi-year ice is disappearing and volume is decreasing at a high rate too.  If you think 'record ice growth' and the 'highest extent in 7 years' means everything is hunky dory Al Gore has an internet he'd like to sell you.

On the note of cherry picking and selective omissions I have an issue with how you present what's going on in Antarctica.  Your statements are very matter of fact as to the cause of the ice growth and that it's caused by AGW.  However, I present the following:

In an interview just a few months ago Zhang (whose chart you cite) doesn't sound near as certain as you do to the cause.

What Zhang doesn’t know is why the vortex has gotten stronger. It could simply be a result of natural climate variations, with no connection to human activity. It could also be related to the ozone hole that still persists over the southern continent. That manmade gap in the planet’s protective ozone layer isn’t a result of global warming; its cause is manmade ozone-destroying chlorofluorocarbons, whose use has been phased out, but which still linger in the polar stratosphere.

But the loss of ozone above Antarctica has altered the local energy balance in the atmosphere, and could, in principle, make the polar vortex stronger.

It’s plausible, Zhang said, but the dynamics of the polar atmosphere are “very, very complicated. I haven’t seen a clear explanation yet of why the winds have gotten stronger.

Then if you read another study just published in June by Lorenzo Polvani and Karen Smith of Columbia University they conclude that the model-defying sea ice increase may just reflect natural variability.  http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/grl.50578/abstract

Finally, in this study released just a few months back on the effects of the ozone layer on the Antarctic ice layer suggest that the effects of the ozone layer are causing the ice layer to shrink, not get bigger.  "This modeled Antarctic sea ice decrease in the last three decades is at odds with observations, which show a small yet statistically significant increase in sea ice extent,”"
http://www.columbia.edu/~lmp/paps/barnes+barnes+polvani-JCLIM-2013-revised.pdf

Nobody predicted the sea ice growth in Antarctica, the models were obviously wrong because what has been observed is ad odds with what the models predicted.  There is certainly a viable theory as to why the ice is increasing such as the wind patterns being a contributing factor, but as Zhang suggested, there's no clear explanation as to why they've increased and it could simply be natural variability.

2014-01-03 11:11 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Unfortunately I think it falls under the light blue technology field.  I read on the internet that most of the funding is towards machines to kill baby seals.  

Machines don't kill baby seals. People kill baby seals.
2014-01-03 11:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Denver

I think that Al Gore's claims are based on science, he's not making stuff up, but he cherry picks the extreme side of things to play up the worst case scenario instead of representing the consensus views.  That just my impression though, I don't really pay attention to what he says.

I'm not saying Morano's funding makes his claims bunk.  His claims being bunk makes them bunk.  The question of where he gets his money just should make you question his claims really really carefully because he obviously has a huge financial stake in being biased towards one side.  And when you do examine his data and analysis, sure enough, there are gaping inaccuracies and misrepresentations.  I have a really hard time taking that graph seriously because the rest of the report it came from is full of myths that have been proven false over and over for years, misrepresented data and just general misinformation.  But even if we take it at face value and say the federal government funded $79 billion of climate research over the 12 years since 1989 that's actually pretty pitiful.  It's 0.005% of the federal budget and it's about the same as two companies, Exxon and Shell made in profits (not revenue) in just last year alone. If the government really was out to 'prove' climate change just so they could increase tax revenue I'm sure the fossil fuel industry has more than enough politicians on their payroll that they could steer the research in some other direction if the science wasn't so strong.

I think questioning the motivations of researchers is a good thing, but this thing that the entire climate change research community is just doing what they do so the government can get more tax revenues is off the deep end.  For one thing, politicians aren't the ones deciding which research to fund, boards of scientists are the ones weighing the merit of each proposal.  If the whole goal was to justify increased tax revenues it seems like your chart should have huge decreases in the years that republicans were in control since as far as I can tell, that's something they oppose.  For another thing, I don't buy this notion that the 'government' has a vested interest in 'proving' climate change.  I have no idea where this tax revenue they would be getting would come from since almost all of the mitigation proposals I've seen don't do much for the national treasury.  Proposals for a carbon tax that I've seen are revenue neutral (the revenue would be used to offset lower income tax rates for example) and cap and trade schemes are private markets, the govm't doesn't get any revenue out of them.  But maybe there's some other ways that I'm just not thinking of that repubs and dems are joining together to work towards?

I'm not saying there aren't problems with the system of federal funding, I think you do have a point that there is a tendency to of funding agencies to mainly fund research in established areas and you can get a kind of bandwagoning in proposals.  This isn't just in climate change, but I think it's a problem in funding of all federal research.  But I don't think this conservatism (or I guess skeptics would say stifling of contrary theories) is driven by politicians driving research directions, I think it's mostly due to the fact that since these are federal funds there is enormous pressure not to waste them.  In my experience anyway, when I've seen review boards evaluating projects, the overwhelming factor in whether or not something gets funded is whether it's a scientifically valid idea.  When public money is being spent, there is enormous pressure and care taken not to spend it on research that has no scientific basis or things that could be perceived as wasteful.  If all the research is showing that we're warming the planet and you have a theory that it's some other cause like baby seal spitup, you need to have an especially strong scientific justification for why your theory is right and all the other scientific research is wrong.  I do think there is value in funding those types of risky studies but I can also see how funding agencies don't want to be seen as wasteful, funding projects that are unlikely to be successful.  It goes a long way to preventing waste, but I think it can also stifle innovative ideas so it's a balancing act

Federal funding for this research is critical though since the effects of climate change have such profound national safety, economic and security implications.  And no matter what the motivations behind the funding, whether it's funded by a government agency or Exxon, in the end, the data and conclusions from these studies still have to be made available for scrutiny by everyone - denier and proponent alike.  Federal funding isn't a monopoly but it is a large source and I'm all for saying we should scrutinize the research findings because of it's dominance.  But what happens when you do actually scrutinize the research is that you find most if it is good and valid data and it overwhelmingly points to the fact that we have a problem on our hands.  FWIW - since you seem interested in this stuff, a paper just came out in Nature finding that the lower bound for sensitivity to doubling CO2 is likely at 3* or above which would go against the lower estimates.  And it was done by non-US researchers who received no federal funding to justify increased taxes, so we know it's believable .

Edited by drewb8 2014-01-03 11:19 AM
2014-01-03 11:34 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I think that Al Gore's claims are based on science, he's not making stuff up, but he cherry picks the extreme side of things to play up the worst case scenario instead of representing the consensus views.  That just my impression though, I don't really pay attention to what he says.

I'm not saying Morano's funding makes his claims bunk.  His claims being bunk makes them bunk.  The question of where he gets his money just should make you question his claims really really carefully because he obviously has a huge financial stake in being biased towards one side.  And when you do examine his data and analysis, sure enough, there are gaping inaccuracies and misrepresentations.  I have a really hard time taking that graph seriously because the rest of the report it came from is full of myths that have been proven false over and over for years, misrepresented data and just general misinformation.  But even if we take it at face value and say the federal government funded $79 billion of climate research over the 12 years since 1989 that's actually pretty pitiful.  It's 0.005% of the federal budget and it's about the same as two companies, Exxon and Shell made in profits (not revenue) in just last year alone. If the government really was out to 'prove' climate change just so they could increase tax revenue I'm sure the fossil fuel industry has more than enough politicians on their payroll that they could steer the research in some other direction if the science wasn't so strong.

I think questioning the motivations of researchers is a good thing, but this thing that the entire climate change research community is just doing what they do so the government can get more tax revenues is off the deep end.  For one thing, politicians aren't the ones deciding which research to fund, boards of scientists are the ones weighing the merit of each proposal.  If the whole goal was to justify increased tax revenues it seems like your chart should have huge decreases in the years that republicans were in control since as far as I can tell, that's something they oppose.  For another thing, I don't buy this notion that the 'government' has a vested interest in 'proving' climate change.  I have no idea where this tax revenue they would be getting would come from since almost all of the mitigation proposals I've seen don't do much for the national treasury.  Proposals for a carbon tax that I've seen are revenue neutral (the revenue would be used to offset lower income tax rates for example) and cap and trade schemes are private markets, the govm't doesn't get any revenue out of them.  But maybe there's some other ways that I'm just not thinking of that repubs and dems are joining together to work towards?

I'm not saying there aren't problems with the system of federal funding, I think you do have a point that there is a tendency to of funding agencies to mainly fund research in established areas and you can get a kind of bandwagoning in proposals.  This isn't just in climate change, but I think it's a problem in funding of all federal research.  But I don't think this conservatism (or I guess skeptics would say stifling of contrary theories) is driven by politicians driving research directions, I think it's mostly due to the fact that since these are federal funds there is enormous pressure not to waste them.  In my experience anyway, when I've seen review boards evaluating projects, the overwhelming factor in whether or not something gets funded is whether it's a scientifically valid idea.  When public money is being spent, there is enormous pressure and care taken not to spend it on research that has no scientific basis or things that could be perceived as wasteful.  If all the research is showing that we're warming the planet and you have a theory that it's some other cause like baby seal spitup, you need to have an especially strong scientific justification for why your theory is right and all the other scientific research is wrong.  I do think there is value in funding those types of risky studies but I can also see how funding agencies don't want to be seen as wasteful, funding projects that are unlikely to be successful.  It goes a long way to preventing waste, but I think it can also stifle innovative ideas so it's a balancing act

Federal funding for this research is critical though since the effects of climate change have such profound national safety, economic and security implications.  And no matter what the motivations behind the funding, whether it's funded by a government agency or Exxon, in the end, the data and conclusions from these studies still have to be made available for scrutiny by everyone - denier and proponent alike.  Federal funding isn't a monopoly but it is a large source and I'm all for saying we should scrutinize the research findings because of it's dominance.  But what happens when you do actually scrutinize the research is that you find most if it is good and valid data and it overwhelmingly points to the fact that we have a problem on our hands.  FWIW - since you seem interested in this stuff, a paper just came out in Nature finding that the lower bound for sensitivity to doubling CO2 is likely at 3* or above which would go against the lower estimates.  And it was done by non-US researchers who received no federal funding to justify increased taxes, so we know it's believable .

One thing I often read is that there is virtually zero funding for the natural variation type studies and I think you give a compelling argument as to why that is.  I'm not sure if it's right or not, but it does make sense.

My official stance (if I can call it that) on the whole AGW stuff is that there's no question the planet has been warming in past decades and there's also no question that the earth has warmed and cooled throughout history.  CO2 being a primary cause of the recent global warming was a valid theory, but IMHO the models tied to CO2 have been consistently lagging, so I'm not convinced that it is the primary driver and surpassed natural variation (through the sun and other non man-made type stuff).  I do agree that CO2 is a contributing factor, but I'm just not sold on it being the primary factor or even a significant factor yet.  
I'm still a big proponent of alternative energy and a clean environment, so I do support financially viable products that achieve these goals.  However, I do not support the government subsidizing non viable industries in the name of alternative power.

I'll read through that Nature article tonight, I'll admit that I may already be a little skeptical because observed temperatures have consistently lagged the lower estimates, but I promise I'll read it with an open mind.  

2014-01-03 12:00 PM

User image

Master
Denver

One thing I often read is that there is virtually zero funding for the natural variation type studies and I think you give a compelling argument as to why that is.  I'm not sure if it's right or not, but it does make sense.

My official stance (if I can call it that) on the whole AGW stuff is that there's no question the planet has been warming in past decades and there's also no question that the earth has warmed and cooled throughout history.  CO2 being a primary cause of the recent global warming was a valid theory, but IMHO the models tied to CO2 have been consistently lagging, so I'm not convinced that it is the primary driver and surpassed natural variation (through the sun and other non man-made type stuff).  I do agree that CO2 is a contributing factor, but I'm just not sold on it being the primary factor or even a significant factor yet.  
I'm still a big proponent of alternative energy and a clean environment, so I do support financially viable products that achieve these goals.  However, I do not support the government subsidizing non viable industries in the name of alternative power.

I'll read through that Nature article tonight, I'll admit that I may already be a little skeptical because observed temperatures have consistently lagged the lower estimates, but I promise I'll read it with an open mind.  

Actually there's been enormous funding for studies looking at factors influencing natural variability, especially ENSO.  I won't go over stuff we've talked about before, but I'll just note that natural variability by definition should have no long term trend it's simply a range around the average.  Any trend (changein the average) must be caused by forcings and no other forcings have been found which can explain the extra heat the planet's retaining (the sun for example is in a low phase, so if anything is causing a cooling effect right now).  There's a great, though technical summary of how all the pieces fit together here, but here's the conclusion:

"Global temperature has in recent years increased more slowly than before, but this is within the normal natural variability that always exists, and also within the range of predictions by climate models – even despite some cool forcing factors such as the deep solar minimum not included in the models. There is therefore no reason to find the models faulty. There is also no reason to expect less warming in the future – in fact, perhaps rather the opposite as the climate system will catch up again due its natural oscillations, e.g. when the Pacific decadal oscillation swings back to its warm phase. Even now global temperatures are very high again – in the GISS data, with an anomaly of + 0.77 °C November was warmer than the previous record year of 2010 (+ 0.67 °, and it was the warmest November on record since 1880."

The Nature paper except for the abstract is probably protected behind a firewall, but there's a good summary of it here.

2014-01-05 6:24 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
'Stranded' polar bear on melting ice - GW wins!

(polar bear.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
polar bear.jpg (7KB - 0 downloads)
2014-01-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: joestop74

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

global warming doesn't always mean it will feel warmer in the exact spot you are standing in right now.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-polar-vortex-thats-hitting-180509394.html

2014-01-06 10:12 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

global warming doesn't always mean it will feel warmer in the exact spot you are standing in right now.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-polar-vortex-thats-hitting-180509394.html

Agree, what's interesting (to me anyways) is even the disparity in how various entities calculate "global temperatures".  I read this post last month and thought it laid out some of the disparities pretty well.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/12/19/claim-november-2013-is-the-warmest-ever-but-will-the-real-november-2013-temperature-please-stand-up/

(it's a skeptic site, but I don't think there's anything too objectionable about what they're saying in this post)

2014-01-06 10:25 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Elite

Originally posted by 

Machines don't kill baby seals. People kill baby seals.

So much win. 

2014-01-07 10:52 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

One of my friends posted this on facebook and I thought it was funny.  Don't know if if the picture is accurate or not, but I do know that Douglas Mawson reached an ice free Commonwealth Bay in January of 1912. 

2014-01-07 2:48 PM

New user
I think it is funny that for the most part water vapor, the primary greenhouse gas, is virtually ignored.
2014-01-07 4:08 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by NXS I think it is funny that for the most part water vapor, the primary greenhouse gas, is virtually ignored.

because we aren't really controlling the water vapor levels in the atmosphere?

2014-01-07 4:22 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
Denver

Originally posted by NXS I think it is funny that for the most part water vapor, the primary greenhouse gas, is virtually ignored.

Sure we are - through our emissions of CO2 and other GHGs which raise the temperature of the earth.  There's about 4% more water vapor in the atmosphere now because the atmosphere is warmer & can hold more water.  That's why we're seeing more intense rain & snow storms.

Water vapor is far from ignored - lots of scientists are looking at changes in precip, how cloud formation and RH affect climate, and on and on.  Water vapor as a GHG is ignored because it isn't causing any warming, it's a symptom.  It's like asking why heart attack scientists are ignoring research on why tingling arms cause heart attacks.  It's because it's not the reason for the heart attack, it's a symptom.

2014-01-07 5:47 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Sure we are - through our emissions of CO2 and other GHGs which raise the temperature of the earth.  There's about 4% more water vapor in the atmosphere now because the atmosphere is warmer & can hold more water.  That's why we're seeing more intense rain & snow storms.

Water vapor is far from ignored - lots of scientists are looking at changes in precip, how cloud formation and RH affect climate, and on and on.  Water vapor as a GHG is ignored because it isn't causing any warming, it's a symptom.  It's like asking why heart attack scientists are ignoring research on why tingling arms cause heart attacks.  It's because it's not the reason for the heart attack, it's a symptom.

I see the bolded quoted a lot, but my understanding is that the observable data isn't showing the same.  I watched the Congressional climate hearings and scientists on both sides of the issue were pretty much agreeing that there is no connection between temperature increases and intense storms.  If anything it's showed to have a calming effect on the storms with less frequency.

Here's a quote from NOAA in the context of Atlantic Hurricane activity.  (http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes)

• It is premature to conclude that human activities--and particularly greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming--have already had a detectable impact on Atlantic hurricane activity. That said, human activities may have already caused changes that are not yet detectable due to the small magnitude of the changes or observational limitations, or are not yet properly modeled (e.g., aerosol effects).

I'm not saying it doesn't have an effect, I just don't think you can say that it "is why we're seeing more intense rain & snow storms".
2013 had the lowest hurricane activity in 30 years.  I need to find the source, but I believe the last 5 years were the lowest hurricane activity in the Atlantic in history as well.
We're currently in the longest stretch in history without a Cat 3 or higher hurricane striking the US. 
The global number of tropical storms and hurricanes has been in a steady decline since 1970 (http://policlimate.com/tropical/frequency_12months.png)
Frequency of severe tornado's EF2+ as well as EF3+ have been on a downward trend for the last 40 years.

Now there are papers which link warming to the calming effect on storms such as wind sheer in the Atlantic by higher upper atmosphere temperatures and less temperature disparity between upper and lower latitudes leading to less tornadic activity so I'm not saying the earths temperature has no effect on storms.  I just feel the "alarmists" seem to try and use every severe weather activity as "proof" of man made global warming.  I know you're not doing that, but I wanted to throw out my thoughts on it.

2014-01-07 8:57 PM

User image

Master
Denver

I see the bolded quoted a lot, but my understanding is that the observable data isn't showing the same.  I watched the Congressional climate hearings and scientists on both sides of the issue were pretty much agreeing that there is no connection between temperature increases and intense storms.  If anything it's showed to have a calming effect on the storms with less frequency.

Here's a quote from NOAA in the context of Atlantic Hurricane activity.  (http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-warming-and-hurricanes)

• It is premature to conclude that human activities--and particularly greenhouse gas emissions that cause global warming--have already had a detectable impact on Atlantic hurricane activity. That said, human activities may have already caused changes that are not yet detectable due to the small magnitude of the changes or observational limitations, or are not yet properly modeled (e.g., aerosol effects).

I'm not saying it doesn't have an effect, I just don't think you can say that it "is why we're seeing more intense rain & snow storms".
2013 had the lowest hurricane activity in 30 years.  I need to find the source, but I believe the last 5 years were the lowest hurricane activity in the Atlantic in history as well.
We're currently in the longest stretch in history without a Cat 3 or higher hurricane striking the US. 
The global number of tropical storms and hurricanes has been in a steady decline since 1970 (http://policlimate.com/tropical/frequency_12months.png)
Frequency of severe tornado's EF2+ as well as EF3+ have been on a downward trend for the last 40 years.

Now there are papers which link warming to the calming effect on storms such as wind sheer in the Atlantic by higher upper atmosphere temperatures and less temperature disparity between upper and lower latitudes leading to less tornadic activity so I'm not saying the earths temperature has no effect on storms.  I just feel the "alarmists" seem to try and use every severe weather activity as "proof" of man made global warming.  I know you're not doing that, but I wanted to throw out my thoughts on it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that.  I wasn't talking about hurricanes, I was talking about precipitation events in general.  Extreme events are becoming more common and they're becoming more intense because of the warmer climate. See here and here for example.

FWIW, that's my understanding too on hurricanes - that's it's still pretty uncertain what to expect.   Last I heard the expectation is for fewer number but more intense storms.  Don't know if that's the most up-to-date though. 

2014-01-07 9:04 PM

User image

Pro

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that.  I wasn't talking about hurricanes, I was talking about precipitation events in general.  Extreme events are becoming more common and they're becoming more intense because of the warmer climate. See here and here for example.

FWIW, that's my understanding too on hurricanes - that's it's still pretty uncertain what to expect.   Last I heard the expectation is for fewer number but more intense storms.  Don't know if that's the most up-to-date though. 

Why does the Polar Vortex hate us?

2014-01-07 9:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Denver

Well my understanding is the evidence points to the studies that show it's because of the statue of satan they're trying to put up at the capital in OK.

Edited by drewb8 2014-01-07 10:02 PM
2014-01-08 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Well my understanding is the evidence points to the studies that show it's because of the statue of satan they're trying to put up at the capital in OK.

I thought it had to do with automatic weapons and large magazines.  Or maybe Obamacare is just raining on our parade.

2014-01-08 8:30 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Hasn't there been some recent controversy with the CEI and how they're "cooking" the numbers of late?  I remember reading an article on it, but I don't have time to dig it up now.

Here's some snippets from the IPCC AR4 that was recently released regarding weather intensity.  I tried to grab things in context so I wasn't "cherry picking".

http://www.climatechange2013.org/images/uploads/WGIAR5_WGI-12Doc2b_FinalDraft_All.pdf

There is low confidence of large-scale trends in storminess over the last century and there is still
insufficient evidence to determine whether robust trends exist in small-scale severe weather events such as
hail or thunder storms.

In land regions where observational coverage is sufficient for assessment, there is medium confidence that anthropogenic
forcing has contributed to a global-scale intensification of heavy precipitation over the second half of the
20th century.

Globally, there is low confidence in attribution of changes in tropical cyclone activity to human influence.
This is due to insufficient observational evidence, lack of physical understanding of the links between
anthropogenic drivers of climate and tropical cyclone activity, and the low level of agreement between
studies as to the relative importance of internal variability, and anthropogenic and natural forcings.

While the AR4 concluded that it is more likely than not that anthropogenic influence has contributed to an
increased risk of drought in the second half of the 20th century, an updated assessment of the observational
evidence indicates that the AR4 conclusions regarding global increasing trends in hydrological droughts
since the 1970s are no longer supported. Owing to the low confidence in observed large-scale trends in
dryness combined with difficulties in distinguishing decadal-scale variability in drought from long-term
climate change, there is now low confidence in the attribution of changes in drought over global land since
the mid-20th century to human influence.

While projections indicate that it is likely that the global frequency of tropical cyclones will either decrease
or remain essentially unchanged, concurrent with a likely increase in both global mean tropical cyclone
maximum wind speed and rainfall rates, there is lower confidence in region-specific projections of frequency
and intensity. However, due to improvements in model resolution and downscaling techniques, it is more likely
than not that the frequency of the most intense storms will increase substantially in some basins under
projected 21st century warming.

In the same report they list under TFE9 Table 1 that:
Heavy precipitation events. Increase in the frequency, intensity, and/or amount of heavy precipitation.
- Assessment that changes occurred (typically since 1950 unless otherwise indicated)
- Likely more land areas with increases than decreases, Very likely in central North America
- Assessment of a human contribution to observed changes
- Medium Confidence
- Likelyhood of further Changes
- Early 21st Century - Likely over many land areas
- Late 21st Century - Very likely in some areas.

The one think I find interesting about the last piece is the IPCC has "medium confidence" that humans contributed to an increase in these events, but it is very likely that intensity will increase in the future?

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Another definition of irony Rss Feed  

of 3