Other Resources The Political Joe » Unemployment and Participation Rate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-10 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Unemployment and Participation Rate

So read an interesting article on Money.com (http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/10/news/economy/jobless-job-market-dropouts/index.html?hpt=hp_t2).  It describes the fact that we are seeing many people dropping out of the workforce due to unemployment.  

"In December, 347,000 people dropped out of the workforce. That pushed the participation rate, which is the percentage of the population in the labor force, down to 62.8%. That's the lowest it's been since early 1978."

This is amazing to me, as I'm not sure how you live at all without a job.  It is also concerning to hear the Government applaud the economy getting stronger and low unemployment numbers when the root reason for the number looking good is people giving up.

I wonder (as a conservative) how this impacts the "47%" since if you don't work, you don't pay taxes.  And are these people simply living off welfare, or is there something else I'm missing? How do we get these people to recognize they have an obligation to be accountable for themselves and get a job.  That may mean learning a new skill or doing something different then their original career.  I definitely don't feel that we as taxpayers should be responsible for them if they "choose to" give up.

Thoughts.  I'm sure some will flame me for this, and that is not the intent.  I am truly curious what others think.  

2014-01-10 2:36 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Unemployment and Participation Rate

I'd be interested to know how many of that 347,000 just decided to retire instead of look for more work.  Our workforce and population in general is certainly aging as the baby boomers are well into retirement age, with all of them getting there in the next 5-10 years.

2014-01-10 2:43 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by Left Brain

I'd be interested to know how many of that 347,000 just decided to retire instead of look for more work.  Our workforce and population in general is certainly aging as the baby boomers are well into retirement age, with all of them getting there in the next 5-10 years.

They do address that question though without specific numbers.  

"Some of the decline in the participation rate can be attributed to changing demographics, since many baby boomers are retiring and dropping out of the work force.

But most of the low participation rate is due to the weakness in the job market. For instance, only a third of teenagers are either working or looking for work, putting the participation rate for that age group at one of the lowest levels on record."

2014-01-10 2:50 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Originally posted by velocomp

"Some of the decline in the participation rate can be attributed to changing demographics, since many baby boomers are retiring and dropping out of the work force.

But most of the low participation rate is due to the weakness in the job market. For instance, only a third of teenagers are either working or looking for work, putting the participation rate for that age group at one of the lowest levels on record."

There is another possible explanation. My wife will not be working after this school year is over. She is going to be home watching our two kids. If you'll notice the last time the participation rate was this low, women had just started to enter the workforce. I'm sure that it is a combination of that plus people dropping onto welfare or disability and people retiring. As LB would say though, "buy more stocks"
2014-01-10 3:14 PM

User image

Pro

Yeah, that report is definately lacking some numbers that could have a bearing on how bad the problem really is.  Now way I buy the idea that teenagers can't find work....my 16 year old has his pick of 4 jobs this summer, and each prospective employer is offering incentives if you can refer a friend.  Personally, I have noticed that a lot of teenagers don't work and have no plans to work, unlike my generation when it seemed we all had summer and after school jobs.  If you're a teenager and you can't find a job you're not looking, or you just think it's below you to take the jobs that are available.

2014-01-10 3:16 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoshR

There is another possible explanation. My wife will not be working after this school year is over. She is going to be home watching our two kids. If you'll notice the last time the participation rate was this low, women had just started to enter the workforce. I'm sure that it is a combination of that plus people dropping onto welfare or disability and people retiring. As LB would say though, "buy more stocks"

Oh Josh......you missed ~ 30% gain on your investment last year if you stayed out of the stock market......just a reminder.

2014-01-10 5:05 PM

User image

Elite

You have to know the make up of the people that gave up to understand. It does not mean all those folks are on welfare. I'm sure many many two income households are now down to one. I'm sure many many of those are now living at a standard much much lower than what they used to be at. Many also bump into the age old problem of work vs. day care. If lower income jobs are all they can find, and it does not pay for both parents to be working, then one stays home.

So you just can't say unless you know who those folks are that gave up.

One thing for certain is that our country shed jobs to overseas labor forces that were cheaper than ours and we are not getting them back. Companies relocated overseas to get away from taxes, regulations, and labor costs. We are not the manufacturing giant of yesterday, and the rest of the world can get plenty of stuff elsewhere. That is a major problem. We are shifting to a consumer based economy and have been for a while.

2014-01-10 6:55 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by powerman

You have to know the make up of the people that gave up to understand. It does not mean all those folks are on welfare. I'm sure many many two income households are now down to one. I'm sure many many of those are now living at a standard much much lower than what they used to be at. Many also bump into the age old problem of work vs. day care. If lower income jobs are all they can find, and it does not pay for both parents to be working, then one stays home.

One thing for certain is that our country shed jobs to overseas labor forces that were cheaper than ours and we are not getting them back. Companies relocated overseas to get away from taxes, regulations, and labor costs. We are not the manufacturing giant of yesterday, and the rest of the world can get plenty of stuff elsewhere. That is a major problem. We are shifting to a consumer based economy and have been for a while.

Sorry, I'm not buying it.  If what you are saying is true, and what they are saying is true (that the number of people in the workforce is now below levels seen in 1978, wouldn't that correlate to a drop in population (which definitely hasn't happened)?  If the percentage is down to what it was in 1978, then what you suggest could easily be true.  

2014-01-11 7:50 PM

Park Ridge
So here is the thing, I am sure some of the drop in participation rate are due to benign causes(retirement, people drop out due to a baby etc..) but remember these numbers that you hear of in the press are almost always generated by the commerce department. The Secretary of Commerce is an appointed position beholden to the president. How do you think those numbers are going to be skewed? The bigger problem aside from political opportunists is this; how many Americans can state the Unemployment Rate within 2% points? My guess is less than 5%, of those who know the rate how many know what the definition of participation rate is, my guess is less 1%. Given that amount of disinterest, as Americans we get what we deserve, a political class that is collectively screwing 99% of the country. We need to start sucking less as a country.
2014-01-11 8:07 PM
in reply to: pumpkin31

User image

Pro

Originally posted by pumpkin31 We need to start sucking less as a country.

Yeah?  Compared to who?  The last I checked, people were still coming here from other countries.....but nobody is leaving.  Maybe you could start a trend.

2014-01-11 8:21 PM

Park Ridge

Yeah?  Compared to who?  The last I checked, people were still coming here from other countries.....but nobody is leaving.  Maybe you could start a trend.

One has nothing to do with the other, if you want to suck more go ahead.

2014-01-12 4:15 PM
in reply to: pumpkin31

User image

Pro

Originally posted by pumpkin31

We're not sucking at all here.......in fact, life if pretty damn good.....and so is this country.

2014-01-12 11:57 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by powerman

Sorry, I'm not buying it.  If what you are saying is true, and what they are saying is true (that the number of people in the workforce is now below levels seen in 1978, wouldn't that correlate to a drop in population (which definitely hasn't happened)?  If the percentage is down to what it was in 1978, then what you suggest could easily be true.  

I'm not getting 1978. Bottom line is that post industrial revolution and WWII, we will never see the expansion of our economy as it was then. The only real thing we can do is contract from being the sole country supplying 75% of the worlds goods post WWII. We now have competition. And our leisurly lifestyle and awsome standard of living has given way to entertainment and consumer based economy. Hard to bring dollars into the country when nobody is buying as they once did.

2014-01-13 2:51 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

We're not sucking at all here.......in fact, life if pretty damn good.....and so is this country.

LB I'm curious on what basis you make these claims ? Have you lived overseas or travelled extensively ? Do you read a lot of statistical analysis and study demographioc trends ? I haven't lived in the US for 20+ years. Every time I travel back I notice less and less of the 'this is better in the US than anyplace else'. The rest of the world is getting better or already a lot better in a lot of areas.

On a net basis its true, more poeple are entering the US than leaving, both legally and illegally. However on a trending basis, in absolute numbers fewer people are entering while people giving up their US passports and green cards is at an all time high.

As for how we're doing clearly it depends on category and perspective. Consumption and defense spending (outright not per captita) the US is number 1 by a lot. In a different light, murders per capita the US ranks number 1 (the highest) amongst G20 countries. Educationally the US ranks 36th in math reading and science, thats below average compared to all OECD countries. A 10 year old study by the WHO ranks US health care 37th. A more recent Bloomberg study ranks the US 46th on the basis of having the highest cost as a percentage of gdp and per capita basis.

On the basis of safety, education, and healthcare (3 pretty important measurements of quality of life) if the goal is to be 'pretty good' it appears we have some work to do to get back to that level. The US used to be the best in a lot of areas. Hopefully we still are in some. Recent trends in some important areas show we are not anymore, and are even far from it. I think we need to refocus our priorities if we don't want present trends to continue even further in a negative direction.
2014-01-13 6:30 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Master
Beijing

Originally posted by gr33n  On the basis of safety, education, and healthcare (3 pretty important measurements of quality of life) if the goal is to be 'pretty good' it appears we have some work to do to get back to that level. 

I would not equate:

"murder rate per capita" and "safety."

or "healthcare cost compared to gdp" and "healthcare"

But would agree that our country could suck less.  Of course, I would agree that all countries could suck less. 

2014-01-13 7:42 AM
in reply to: moondawg14

User image

Regular
Madrid
Originally posted by moondawg14

Originally posted by gr33n  On the basis of safety, education, and healthcare (3 pretty important measurements of quality of life) if the goal is to be 'pretty good' it appears we have some work to do to get back to that level. 

I would not equate:

"murder rate per capita" and "safety."

or "healthcare cost compared to gdp" and "healthcare"

But would agree that our country could suck less.  Of course, I would agree that all countries could suck less. 

Yeah in a strict sense I know what you mean. The only reason I use those as examples is quantifiability. Quality of health care is too difficult to quantify. Cost is easy. That said obviously because its cheaper doesn't make it better. A more accurate measure would be some kind of longevity/quality of life compared to cost. Crime is a little easier for me. For me its a comfort zone thing. I have less problem walking the streets of Madrid with the risk I may get pick pocketed moreso than I do walking the streets of Baltimore knowing the risk is that I get shot. Again murder rates are black and white. Petty crime statistics are more fudgeable, ie was there an arrest, did it get reported. I'm not sying my examples were perfect but I think were more representative than not...

2014-01-13 9:49 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gr33n

LB I'm curious on what basis you make these claims ? Have you lived overseas or travelled extensively ? Do you read a lot of statistical analysis and study demographioc trends ? I haven't lived in the US for 20+ years. Every time I travel back I notice less and less of the 'this is better in the US than anyplace else'. The rest of the world is getting better or already a lot better in a lot of areas. On a net basis its true, more poeple are entering the US than leaving, both legally and illegally. However on a trending basis, in absolute numbers fewer people are entering while people giving up their US passports and green cards is at an all time high. As for how we're doing clearly it depends on category and perspective. Consumption and defense spending (outright not per captita) the US is number 1 by a lot. In a different light, murders per capita the US ranks number 1 (the highest) amongst G20 countries. Educationally the US ranks 36th in math reading and science, thats below average compared to all OECD countries. A 10 year old study by the WHO ranks US health care 37th. A more recent Bloomberg study ranks the US 46th on the basis of having the highest cost as a percentage of gdp and per capita basis. On the basis of safety, education, and healthcare (3 pretty important measurements of quality of life) if the goal is to be 'pretty good' it appears we have some work to do to get back to that level. The US used to be the best in a lot of areas. Hopefully we still are in some. Recent trends in some important areas show we are not anymore, and are even far from it. I think we need to refocus our priorities if we don't want present trends to continue even further in a negative direction.

Ah....numbers....great.  Show me all of the categories together, and each country's scores.  It's kind of like a triathlon, huh?  I can be 10th in the swim, 7th on the bike, and 8th ont he run and still win the race.  I don't care much for statistics.......I like experience. 

Here's what I know.....if Madrid gets leveled by an earthquake tomorrow, our country will come running, and will provide more aid than any country on the planet.  Not only that, the rest of the world will expect it.

I have been outside the U.S. on occasion, but really don't enjoy it that much (it's always my wife's idea)......there's alot of this country I want to see before I spend too mcuh time outside it.  What I do get is quite a a bit of time talking to people who have come here from other countries as refugees.....and I hear an overwhelming appreciation for this country and the opportunity it still affords everyone......no matter how much whining you hear.  My firends in Canada all come here for medical care.....I bet they're higher on your list.  Math scores?  Uh......we seem to be doing fine with technology.  Education?  Our Universities are filled with people from other countries....go figure.

My family if firmly middle class....we're not victims of anything, mostly because we just go about our business and figure our lot in life is mostly up to us.  It's avalue intsilled by my great grandparents on both sides, who immigrated here themselves. 

I believe I live in the greatest country on the planet......if I didn't I would move.  If we have a fault today it's that we listen too much to the whiners, and the people who think we should dumb ourselves down to the least common denominator because it somehow makes them feel bigger by doing it.  I don't buy it.

2014-01-13 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid

Originally posted by gr33n

LB I'm curious on what basis you make these claims ? Have you lived overseas or travelled extensively ? Do you read a lot of statistical analysis and study demographioc trends ? I haven't lived in the US for 20+ years. Every time I travel back I notice less and less of the 'this is better in the US than anyplace else'. The rest of the world is getting better or already a lot better in a lot of areas. On a net basis its true, more poeple are entering the US than leaving, both legally and illegally. However on a trending basis, in absolute numbers fewer people are entering while people giving up their US passports and green cards is at an all time high. As for how we're doing clearly it depends on category and perspective. Consumption and defense spending (outright not per captita) the US is number 1 by a lot. In a different light, murders per capita the US ranks number 1 (the highest) amongst G20 countries. Educationally the US ranks 36th in math reading and science, thats below average compared to all OECD countries. A 10 year old study by the WHO ranks US health care 37th. A more recent Bloomberg study ranks the US 46th on the basis of having the highest cost as a percentage of gdp and per capita basis. On the basis of safety, education, and healthcare (3 pretty important measurements of quality of life) if the goal is to be 'pretty good' it appears we have some work to do to get back to that level. The US used to be the best in a lot of areas. Hopefully we still are in some. Recent trends in some important areas show we are not anymore, and are even far from it. I think we need to refocus our priorities if we don't want present trends to continue even further in a negative direction.

Ah....numbers....great.  Show me all of the categories together, and each country's scores.  It's kind of like a triathlon, huh?  I can be 10th in the swim, 7th on the bike, and 8th ont he run and still win the race.  I don't care much for statistics.......I like experience. 

Here's what I know.....if Madrid gets leveled by an earthquake tomorrow, our country will come running, and will provide more aid than any country on the planet.  Not only that, the rest of the world will expect it.

I have been outside the U.S. on occasion, but really don't enjoy it that much (it's always my wife's idea)......there's alot of this country I want to see before I spend too mcuh time outside it.  What I do get is quite a a bit of time talking to people who have come here from other countries as refugees.....and I hear an overwhelming appreciation for this country and the opportunity it still affords everyone......no matter how much whining you hear.  My firends in Canada all come here for medical care.....I bet they're higher on your list.  Math scores?  Uh......we seem to be doing fine with technology.  Education?  Our Universities are filled with people from other countries....go figure.

My family if firmly middle class....we're not victims of anything, mostly because we just go about our business and figure our lot in life is mostly up to us.  It's avalue intsilled by my great grandparents on both sides, who immigrated here themselves. 

I believe I live in the greatest country on the planet......if I didn't I would move.  If we have a fault today it's that we listen too much to the whiners, and the people who think we should dumb ourselves down to the least common denominator because it somehow makes them feel bigger by doing it.  I don't buy it.

Link to test scores- http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-post.asp...

US ranks 5th in charitable aid according to the Charities Aid Foundation.

Health Care Canada was ranked 17 but as already discussed perhaps not an accurate measure (see above).

Our universities are not filled with people from other countries. Foreign students make up about 10% of US university enrollment. Foreign student enrollment in UK universities runs around 28%.

For the record I as well see the US as one of the best, if not the best countries in many ways. I wholeheartedly agree with your comment that the whiners have too loud a voice and we need to be aware of the risks of dumbing down. I know you don't like the numbers, but they are what they are. And thanks for your response.
2014-01-13 10:40 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Sorry the link to the test scores didn't copy in. its www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/dec/03/pisa-results-country-best-reading-maths-science
2014-01-13 10:43 AM

User image

Pro

Herfe's one for charitable aid..........5th huh?  Numbers, ya know......i can find them too.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_governments_by_development_aid

2014-01-13 10:49 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
I was referring to private not government.

2014-01-13 10:55 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by gr33n I was referring to private not government.

And I was talking about our govt.....because, you know, we suck as a country.

2014-02-10 12:33 PM

Park Ridge

Originally posted by gr33n I was referring to private not government.

And I was talking about our govt.....because, you know, we suck as a country.

Just for the record.......I said we need to start sucking less as a country, big difference from what you quote here. Are you of the opinion that we are ok so long as we are relatively better off than other countries ie. top of the dung heap? We need to do better and that need is completely independent of the United States still being the best country in the world. You know the old adage that you are either getting better or getting worse no staying the same. One more thing, I am a huge believer in American (U.S.) exceptionalism and that this is by far the best country that has ever existed. I just think we can do better IMO we have kind of sucked the past few years...
2014-02-12 7:43 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
pumpkin31, you are saying we need to suck less. How do we suck? I realize this country isn’t perfect, but can you explain how we suck? If you said, we’re good, but we could do better, I’d agree with you. But you ARE saying we suck somewhat, (not that we totally suck), but you’re saying it nonetheless. How so, and what can we do to suck less?

As for those gov’t #’s:I sincerely doubt too many people are in a position to retire with the lifestyle you are used to (except maybe those people fortunate enough to have a government pension). Everything I’ve read says the great majority of Americans have not saved enough money for retirement, so I’d say those who are retiring are likely doing so due to the aforementioned weakness in the job market.

In that old WHO study, the US is ranked 37th in HealthCare. I don’t know one person who has ever left the US to go to another country get major health care. I realize this is anecdotal, but I’m not leaving the US because of its healthcare shortcomings.

I do agree though, that our Math and Reading scores are not what they should be. But on the other hand, I feel like a lot of the world’s innovation(s) come out of this country, and we’re still a world leader in a lot of areas, so we must be doing something right. This also, is anecdotal, fwiw.

Edited by ried0428 2014-02-12 7:44 AM
2014-02-12 7:58 AM
in reply to: ried0428

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by ried0428 pumpkin31, you are saying we need to suck less. How do we suck? I realize this country isn’t perfect, but can you explain how we suck? If you said, we’re good, but we could do better, I’d agree with you. But you ARE saying we suck somewhat, (not that we totally suck), but you’re saying it nonetheless. How so, and what can we do to suck less? As for those gov’t #’s:I sincerely doubt too many people are in a position to retire with the lifestyle you are used to (except maybe those people fortunate enough to have a government pension). Everything I’ve read says the great majority of Americans have not saved enough money for retirement, so I’d say those who are retiring are likely doing so due to the aforementioned weakness in the job market. In that old WHO study, the US is ranked 37th in HealthCare. I don’t know one person who has ever left the US to go to another country get major health care. I realize this is anecdotal, but I’m not leaving the US because of its healthcare shortcomings. I do agree though, that our Math and Reading scores are not what they should be. But on the other hand, I feel like a lot of the world’s innovation(s) come out of this country, and we’re still a world leader in a lot of areas, so we must be doing something right. This also, is anecdotal, fwiw.

Just to touch on a few points here.  Yes we have been sucking.  The number of people on food stamps, wellfare and other entitlements has risen dramatically.  That sucks.

A lot of advances come out of our country true, but when fewer people are working and so many people are unemployed that means that only the best and brightest are succeeding.  That sucks.

Healthcare, while you may not know people that leave this country for healthcare, there have been many articles and even 60 minutes stories on people going elsewhere for healthcare and dental work because of costs.  That sucks.

We need to teach these people to fish.  Teach them the drive to succeed. And stop pampering the "lazy".  Yes, I know people get upset when we use the term lazy, but it is early and I didn't want to think of an alternative.  Guess I'm lazy too.  But at least I work hard, have a good job and am accountable for myself.  Wish we all could be that way...

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Unemployment and Participation Rate Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS EXTENSION SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT GO?

Started by strykergt
Views: 1590 Posts: 11

2014-01-14 8:41 PM bootygirl

Suicide Rate Rises as Economy Stresses Middle-Age America

Started by DanielG
Views: 1594 Posts: 14

2013-05-03 1:33 PM KateTri1
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : April 14, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
In this second part, AJ will show you how your training pace and heart rate training zones are setup from the results of your lactate threshold test.
date : April 10, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 1
Most of us have gone up and down in weight so often that we have lost count. What we are looking for is a steady loss of weight which often is not found.

date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.
date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 0
I started the process with clippers on my chest. Halfway through the process I realized that this shaving plan was probably not the brightest idea I have ever had in my life.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.