United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 29m 11s
Overall Rank = 15400/19191
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1380/1590
Pre-race routine:

Did not get to sleep the night before i was nervous. Wakeup time is 2 am since traffic builds up at 3am in the am towards the parking lot. i at 2 power bars and banana plus bottle of gatorade.
Event warmup:

me and my family had a vacation so my last days of training is mainly walking all day around the theme parks. and am before the race typical stretching and its a 20 min walk to the corrals.The waiting is my most hated part we are the last corral so we started one hour after the first one.
Run
  • 6h 29m 11s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

First 4 miles is pain right under my left shin i know when i warm up it will go away.i was steady until halfway .i noticed every mile is 1.1 mi away instead of 1 mi. my real problem started to occur on mile 16 were right side of my of my right knee started aching i never had this before , but i believe its a product of lack of recovery i never had this pains before. I am already doing 1min walk 6min jog , but still the pains were there. i am glad i am using calf compression and knee compression, they significantly help me bear the pain. After mile 21 i know im losing legs i am not about to give up at 6 mi away so i just closed my eyes and take it mile after mile. To add to my problem its showing in my Garmin i should have passed the 26.2 mark ,but the volunteer yelled only a mile away. He must be joking i gave everything i can and one more mile of torture. I just closed my eyes and gave everylast of me and i am glad i met the official cutoff 50 secs slower and i would have missed it. The organizers should also be at fault my Garmin have it at 27.11 mi to be off at .2 mi or even .3 mi is understandable, but for a whole mile theres something wrong.

i am just glad everything is over and my Boy and Wife is waiting at the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

i should have picked my race carefully if its too close to major events i should have not signed for it. i just finish a Half Iron on November and did a Full Iron Relay bike on Dec. I overdid myself there without recovering yet. January came the Marathon. My last 17/19/20/21 mi long runs was four months ago. Although i am consistently running 10 to 13 mi long runs every week ,i only did 13/16/19 mi long runs before the race. If i am consistently running i would say I should have allowed atleast 4 months for a Mary i will not let this happen again.

Post race
Warm down:

We went home right away.i am bedridden the whole day. Took some pain killers and applied liniment to my legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Proper training for a full mary

Event comments:

i would not give a good rating on this race since they are off in their mileage.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-10-20 12:00 AM
Running
06:29:11 | 26.2 miles | 14m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 1380/1590
Overall: 15400/19191
Performance: Bad
Course: mostly flat , but some uphill gradient.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-01-12 4:46 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: Disney Marathon

2014-01-14 10:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Disney Marathon
Congrats on your race! My hubby and I did Goofy, but took it pretty slow with both races in order to enjoy the experience. I even stopped to ride Expedition Everest! There were a few stretches where the surface was slanted that I didn't enjoy, but overall it wasn't too bad. Our watches showed 26.7 miles, so the course was definitely a bit off. Hope you're recovering well.

Edited by aggiegrad96 2014-01-14 10:53 AM
2014-01-14 11:04 AM
in reply to: aggiegrad96

User image

Pearland,Tx
Thanks Christy

You really made me feel alot easier, ateast i know i am not the only one who did Oilman and at the same time did Disney FullMary. IF i only knew that Disney is very forgiving when it comes to cut off times. I would have slowed down more. I thought the cut off is 16min/mi pace which is close to 7 hours, but there are finisher walkers around 8 hours that have official times. I should have slowed down and took pics .

Anyway glad you and your family had fun after , We went home the following day.

Cheers see you around the races this year.

2014-01-14 6:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by aggiegrad96

Congrats on your race! My hubby and I did Goofy, but took it pretty slow with both races in order to enjoy the experience. I even stopped to ride Expedition Everest! There were a few stretches where the surface was slanted that I didn't enjoy, but overall it wasn't too bad. Our watches showed 26.7 miles, so the course was definitely a bit off. Hope you're recovering well.

Nah, my Garmin said like 26.5 or so. Foot race distances are based on runners taking the perfect line through all the turns. By the time you factor in all the weaving in and out of the 25k people and not taking perfect lines through curves you'll almost always come out showing .3-.5 miles longer on your Garmin than the advertised distance for any marathon. Especially one with as many tight turns as this one had.

Anyway, I ran it too and don't feel it was worth the premium price. They made it absolute HELL getting to and from the race for anyone who wasn't staying at a Disney hotel. It took almost an hour and a half to get the 5 mi to the hotel after the race, monorail from Epcot to MK (no vehicles allowed at Epcot) and then a 45min bus ride to go 5 miles to the hotel, which was advertised as a Disney affiliate and on Disney property. Took me 45 minutes to go 5 miles at 4am to get to the race start. Nightmare.

Also, the race schwag was super weak for the price paid. Namely there was NO schwag other than the medal and shirt. The medal is nice and big and my 3 year old loves it. The marathon shirt color (sky blue) was weak. Would have rather had any other color.

Otherwise the route was well laid out.

Edited by aliddle9876 2014-01-14 6:07 PM
2014-01-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: aliddle9876

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I also did Oilman (my first 70.3). I have to admit, I didn't have motivation to continue training for Goofy after that.

We stayed a Disney resort and it still took almost an hour to get to our hotel. We loaded onto a bus, then sat right outside the athlete's area for about 30 minutes without moving at all. We almost missed our meal reservations that afternoon.

My DH and I both agree that it's a fun race, but not worth the price. We love Disney, but sorry, not "every mile is magic"! You definitely spend more time on random roads between parks than you do actually feeling the "magic" at the parks. As for the shirts, the colors were weak for the Goofy (black, navy blue and light blue). We spotted several shirts from previous years and had shirt envy, lol. The highlight of my race was getting to stop and ride Expedition Everest! Overall, we're glad we did the races and checked them off our list, but we won't come back to do these races again. I will admit though, I would like to do the Coast to Coast challenge. :-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disney Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Walt Disney World Marathon

Started by Betsy
Views: 2177 Posts: 6

2006-01-11 9:33 AM CptnJackSparrow

Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon

Started by Betsy
Views: 2961 Posts: 6

2006-01-10 9:42 PM betsybromley

Walt Disney World Marathon

Started by jwcanning
Views: 1998 Posts: 2

2006-01-09 2:42 PM Comet

Disney Marathon

Started by clflgrl
Views: 1249 Posts: 5

2005-02-23 8:18 PM clflgrl

Disney Half Marathon

Started by cameronw
Views: 1158 Posts: 9

2005-01-18 12:06 PM cameronw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Cinci41
My thinking was that with three events, I could vary my training enough so it wouldn't grow stale prior to seeing positive results and finding the additional motivation I needed to continue training.
date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"
date : September 19, 2004
author : adumey
I am not tough. I cried during the Lion King stampede, during Armageddon when Liv Tyler collapsed on the TV as her dad wished her farewell and, most embarrassingly, E.T.

date : September 4, 2004
author : adumey
To help you extract the most from my account, I will highlight the specific take-aways that will not only improve your race time, but reduce unecessary bloodshed.