2014-01-15 9:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Longest long run in IM prep

Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by TheClaaaw
Originally posted by DanielG But during the course I did run/walk the whole way and was actually doing 9 minute miles the last two miles of the run. I was bluntly shocked.

You think it was adrenaline of being so close to the finish?

I'll give you that on the last 1/2 mile but that last two miles was over a couple bridges that were serious hills as well as climbing out of the river bottom where the road we ran on was. So, not really. I'm sure "Damn, this steep bloody hill and two bridges from hell and it's over" helped but that only keeps me going for 100 yards or so before reality kicks in. I just was able to run. I ran about 2:00-2:30 long run and about 4 hours or so total every week for the last two months until taper and I'm positive that was what did it for me.

I had similar run/walk strategy to Daniel and my last 5 miles were the fastest part of my run.

In preparation,  I ran a marathon in March for an end of June IM. (CDA)  It tied my PR although I hadn't really prepared for it and didn't "leave it all out there".

After the March Marathon, my longest run was 14 miles.  I ran over 10 almost every week, though.

I don't think that running more in place of cycling and or rest days would have helped my performance significantly.  I would have mixed in some more tempo work though.

Edited by pga_mike 2014-01-15 9:45 AM

2014-01-15 11:02 AM
in reply to: bgeyeguy

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Longest long run in IM prep

Originally posted by bgeyeguy

For those of us who plan on utilizing the run/walk for the IM. When we practice it, do we practice it only on long runs? Or even on the "mid" runs once they get up to a certain time/distance?  If the main goal is to stay injury free and make it to race day.

I use the run/walk method all the time in training, mostly because I'm trying to manage some chronic over-use injuries.   I also think it falls into the "nothing new on race day" category as my body has become accustomed to taking walk breaks at certain intervals.  I'm currently training for a half marathon and the strategy I've used in the past is to stick to my run/walk schedule for the first 10 miles, and then hopefully drop or reduce the walk intervals from there to the end.

Mark         

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Longest long run in IM prep Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Long run tomorrow - fuel prep

Started by ironbaby
Views: 1537 Posts: 9

2013-06-24 9:21 AM Hot Runner

Longest Run in IM prep

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1938 Posts: 23

2013-03-22 10:26 AM jcnipper

long run and long bike back to back?

Started by kellc09
Views: 1632 Posts: 10

2006-02-26 8:32 AM amiine

How much longer is a long run?

Started by Schlag611
Views: 1085 Posts: 5

2005-03-23 7:41 PM webguy

LONG BIKE / LONG RUN

Started by COP2TRI
Views: 1413 Posts: 9

2005-01-07 5:54 PM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 26, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming with no pool, IM long bike and run scheduling, the importance of base, finding motivation, Zoot shoes and running gait analysis.

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.

date : September 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.