General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Longest long run in IM prep Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-01-14 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Longest long run in IM prep
I know there is a whole forum for the custom plan creator, but the question I have is not about the mechanics of the plan, more the philosophy.

Since the longest plan generated is 28 weeks, I'm trying mowto get one started for Feb 2 in a lead up to IMMT in August. When I put in my run times, I see the limit is always 2.5 hours for the run, which is a built in filter in the generator. I understand the principle behind that. But even if I "lie" and say I can run a 10 minute mile, the plan still maxes out at a 15 mile run.

If I'm a slow BOP guy, is that sane to go into an IM with 15 mile max run? I realize that running hammers the body harder that anything else, but I have a mental block on this. I certainly expect to walk some of the marathon, but that undiscovered country beyond 18 miles (my longest run to date, trail run that was really wal, crawl, fall, climb) - do I really want to find it in an IM?

2014-01-14 7:57 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Subject: RE: Longest long run in IM prep
I used the IM plan from here and my longest run was about 18 miles. I also suck at running.

I ended up "running" 12 minute miles for the IM and was feeling pretty good (considering) until after I stopped beyond the finish line. Then the shivering, freezing and wobbling set in.

But during the course I did run/walk the whole way and was actually doing 9 minute miles the last two miles of the run. I was bluntly shocked.

2014-01-14 8:04 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by DanielG

But during the course I did run/walk the whole way and was actually doing 9 minute miles the last two miles of the run. I was bluntly shocked.

You think it was adrenaline of being so close to the finish?

2014-01-14 8:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
MA

You may think your ability to run a Marathon in an IM is how long your long runs have been in training, but it isn't. Consistent run in training and if you can run 4-5x a week. Race day what is key to have your best possible run with the fitness you have is pacing your swim and bike correctly and nailing your nutrition/hydration.

Most coaches max out long runs at 2.5 hours and some even 2 hours on newer or injury risk athletes. Risks of running longer are great plus learning to run while fatigued only reinforces bad form. When you run say 3.5 hours and that is 50% or more of your run for the week, your body can not absorb the run and make gains in fitness all it does is fatigue you.

I know it can be hard to accept but trust the 2.5 hours max. If you can try to build to run 4-5x a week.

Edited by KathyG 2014-01-14 8:13 AM
2014-01-14 8:20 AM

User image

Originally posted by TheClaaaw

You think it was adrenaline of being so close to the finish?

I'll give you that on the last 1/2 mile but that last two miles was over a couple bridges that were serious hills as well as climbing out of the river bottom where the road we ran on was. So, not really. I'm sure "Damn, this steep bloody hill and two bridges from hell and it's over" helped but that only keeps me going for 100 yards or so before reality kicks in. I just was able to run.

I ran about 2:00-2:30 long run and about 4 hours or so total every week for the last two months until taper and I'm positive that was what did it for me.

Edited by DanielG 2014-01-14 8:20 AM
2014-01-14 8:53 AM

User image

Elite

Make sure you have a strong swim and bike.  That sets you up for being able to complete a 15 min per mile IM.  IM Loo in 2012 I had a decent swim of 1:16, an ok bike but suffered debilitating quad cramps at mile 95, to the point where I was praying to make it to T2, and that I think took me around 6:50.  Then I had plenty of time to walk about 22 miles of the run. I actually felt good enough to run 2 miles in, but ran into two friends that were so badly off, I didn't want to leave them, plus I figured if I pushed too hard the cramps would come back.  I finished in around 15 hours.  I made my friends march, as we did around a 14:30 walk.

The point is to tell you it certainly is doable!!  the run is my limiter, and I found that it is better to focus on the bike overall and nutrition.  Nutrition clearly is the thing that can make it all fall apart, and in my race, it almost did. 

2014-01-14 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
The marathon will be more about the amount of running you do during the whole plan than about how long your longest run was......I did the "Be Iron Fit" plan and it called for a 3hr long run for the longest run. I kept the intensity low and didn't worry about the distance. Do the majority of the runs in the plan and don't sweat the distance of those long ones and you might surprise yourself come race day.....and focus on NUTRITION, NUTRITION, NUTRITION on the bike.......oh yeah, don't forget nutrition
2014-01-14 8:56 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Elite

Originally posted by KathyG

You may think your ability to run a Marathon in an IM is how long your long runs have been in training, but it isn't. Consistent run in training and if you can run 4-5x a week. Race day what is key to have your best possible run with the fitness you have is pacing your swim and bike correctly and nailing your nutrition/hydration.

Most coaches max out long runs at 2.5 hours and some even 2 hours on newer or injury risk athletes. Risks of running longer are great plus learning to run while fatigued only reinforces bad form. When you run say 3.5 hours and that is 50% or more of your run for the week, your body can not absorb the run and make gains in fitness all it does is fatigue you.

I know it can be hard to accept but trust the 2.5 hours max. If you can try to build to run 4-5x a week.

This in bold.  I maxed out at 3 hours, which for me was around 17 miles. I really really felt it when I did get to "run" my IMs, since 20 miles + was new territory, but you get in the "aint no stopping me now!" mode.  If I went PAST this, it would take me way too long to recover from long runs, so I was better off keeping them at a 15-17 mile limit.  I had friends that did 22 miles and I know it would take me over a week to recover.

2014-01-14 9:01 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by KathyG

This ^^^^^^^^

IM marathons are not like stand alone marathons. You are running on tired legs and going a lot slower than your stand alone marathon pace. I would max out at 2hrs personally. You should really worry about how many runs you get in a week and mileage. Just because you ran 20 miles a couple times before an IM doesn't mean you will have a good marathon. Plus the run is set up from what type of bike fitness you have. I would do a 3-4 hr bike at IM pace/power then run 2 hr at easy pace. This is a better workout than a long run of 3 hrs or so.
2014-01-14 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I've read many of your posts and remember some of your background, and I see on your profile that you've done a HIM. The IM is a lot different and as you know a lot of IM training and racing is mental.  You should do what you think is best for you. You don't want to be racing all day dreading the "undiscovered country" after 18 miles. So get over it, or just go run 20 miles. Or even better, train and run for an open marathon. Your schedule may have time for it if you're already doing long runs.

For IM training, I think it's a lot more about total running volume and less about the length of one long run. It's easier to run 26.2 if you've regularly done 16 - 18 mile runs.  It's a lot harder to run 26.2 if most of your runs are 10-12 miles, and one 15 mile run, and one 18 mile run.  Or worse, most of your runs are 12 mile runs, and you did one 20 mile run, and then had to take a week off to recover. Volume volume volume - KathyG is right about aiming for 4x, 3x minimum per week.  And you don't want that long run to be more than 50% of your weekly volume. I like long runs on Wednesdays and Sundays myself, with one or two shorter runs thrown in.

Personally, I've tried several different approaches (I've completed nine IMs and six marathons, etc).  I'm a BOP swimmer, MOP cyclist, and FOP runner.  I was a terrible runner in my first few triathlons, and so I took 2 years off from triathlon to learn how to run marathons. Now running is what I do best, and what I like best, so that colors my opinions toward a lot more run training that most people. My best IM time was when I did the Portland Marathon in October 2006 (3:53), then the Seattle Marathon in November (3:50), then switched back to IM training and race IMAZ in April 2007.  11:53 IM, and a 4:10 run.  

it's easy to recover from long runs if you're running long runs regularly and you build up slowly. Difficult recovery from long runs means you're not running enough. This is the same as cycling. Running shouldn't hammer the body if you have good form, good shoes, and as long as God gave you good knees. On treadmills at the gym, I hear people "bang bang bang" with each step, landing flat footed and hard, and then say their knees hurt.  Well, no sh*t Sherlock, anybody's knees would hurt running like that!  So make sure you have good form. 

Edited by brucemorgan 2014-01-14 9:50 AM
2014-01-14 9:30 AM

Arden, North Carolina
My longest run for my IM trainining was 15 miles. I did fine on the run. Granted I was slower than molasses, but I did fine. I can understand the mental block, as I had completed a marathon years before so the unknown territory wasn't an issue for me. I went into it well aware of the suck factor. However, those final six miles actually felt awesome.

2014-01-14 10:56 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by TheClaaaw I know there is a whole forum for the custom plan creator, but the question I have is not about the mechanics of the plan, more the philosophy.

Since the longest plan generated is 28 weeks, I'm trying mowto get one started for Feb 2 in a lead up to IMMT in August. When I put in my run times, I see the limit is always 2.5 hours for the run, which is a built in filter in the generator. I understand the principle behind that. But even if I "lie" and say I can run a 10 minute mile, the plan still maxes out at a 15 mile run.

If I'm a slow BOP guy, is that sane to go into an IM with 15 mile max run? I realize that running hammers the body harder that anything else, but I have a mental block on this. I certainly expect to walk some of the marathon, but that undiscovered country beyond 18 miles (my longest run to date, trail run that was really wal, crawl, fall, climb) - do I really want to find it in an IM?

I think that speaks more to your overall level of fitness as opposed to a 28 week strategy to prep for an IM.

As others have discussed, it's the overall volume of training and fitness that makes the difference.  If you're tearing your body down with  +2 hour runs in order to achieve some distance goal, then the fatigue and recovery times are going to adversely impact your ability to train effectively in the other two disciplines.

If you're that concerned about your running, then why not consider taking a year to focus on that specifically to build some level of confidence before pursuing a hard core IM program? 

Mark

2014-01-14 11:08 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My last two IMs I have done something like this for my long runs.
For me, I felt way more prepared than my first IM where I maxed out at 2.5 hours long run.

6 weeks out: 2 hours/10.1 miles
5 weeks out: 2.5 hours/14.2 miles
4 weeks out: 3 hours/15.1 miles
3 weeks out: 3 hours/16 miles
2 weeks out: 2 hours/10.1 miles

Edited by lisac957 2014-01-14 11:09 AM
2014-01-14 11:18 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
As others have said, the general rule of around 2.5 hours makes sense. Much more than that, and training will be hampered. For me, that was a little over 20 miles in my IM build this past summer. I also did a few 18 mile runs, and almost each weekend was doing a long run of 1.5-2 hours over 8-10 weeks out from the race.
2014-01-14 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin

I used the IM plan from here and my longest run was about 18 miles. I also suck at running.

I ended up "running" 12 minute miles for the IM and was feeling pretty good (considering) until after I stopped beyond the finish line. Then the shivering, freezing and wobbling set in.

Your last sentence leads me to believe that you underperformed on the run. Dropping 3 minutes per mile in your last 2 miles is a sign you left a lot on the course. Not saying this in a negative way, just that I think a lot of people make this same mistake, not as many as the opposite.

Also to the OP, if you feel that 2.25-2.5 hours is not long enough then I would consider adding in another run per week to build your volume. Long runs are overrated in the sense you need to run x amount of miles, hours in one run before IM.

For example lets say you are running 4x a week in your biggest week
2 Runs at 4-5 miles easy (8-10 miles total)
1 Race specific run 8 miles
1 Run Long 15 miles
---------------
4 Runs 33 miles MAX, you are still running almost half your miles in your longest run, I would say this is not ideal.

Now add in a 5th run
2 Runs at 4-5 miles easy (8-10 miles total)
1 Race specific run 8 miles
1 Run of tempo, build, descend, etc of 7 miles
1 Run Long 15 miles
----------------
5 Runs of 40 miles max, by adding one run you just increase your run volume by almost 20%, this is another way to build up your run.

It is not all in the long run, it is about quality over quantity, and in many cases too many athletes run too hard, far in their biggest week and it comes to bit them on race day.

The above is not a specific suggest outline of how to run, it is simply a way to show that you can increase your run volume by adding a run, not adding miles into your long run. Your long run should never be half or more then half your miles in one week.
2014-01-14 12:23 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Andy,

I am doing the same race as you know and I will be starting my plan soon as well. I am doing Fink's plan and his longest run is 3hrs about 3 weeks out from race day. Looking through the plan, most long runs in the peak phase are around 2-2.5hrs with the 3hr run being the last long run before Taper starts. I am not sure if the 3hr run is necessary or not so I will see how I feel when I get to that point but I did not plan on going over 2.5hrs due to recovery associated. For me, I plan on training and racing the Marathon portion using a Run/Walk strategy. I know some people might frown upon this but it has worked well for me in the past with Half Marathons to the point that I felt really great at the end of the race and did not hurt nearly as bad as when I ran a whole half marathon. One thing that I believe in is trusting the plan. I think you will be fine and as your base improves, your times will too.

2014-01-14 12:45 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20 Andy, I am doing the same race as you know and I will be starting my plan soon as well. I am doing Fink's plan and his longest run is 3hrs about 3 weeks out from race day. Looking through the plan, most long runs in the peak phase are around 2-2.5hrs with the 3hr run being the last long run before Taper starts. I am not sure if the 3hr run is necessary or not so I will see how I feel when I get to that point but I did not plan on going over 2.5hrs due to recovery associated. For me, I plan on training and racing the Marathon portion using a Run/Walk strategy. I know some people might frown upon this but it has worked well for me in the past with Half Marathons to the point that I felt really great at the end of the race and did not hurt nearly as bad as when I ran a whole half marathon. One thing that I believe in is trusting the plan. I think you will be fine and as your base improves, your times will too.

Sounds like a very sensible approach. 

Good luck with your training.

Mark 

2014-01-14 1:41 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-01-14 1:51 PM

What I learned in training for my first IM is that you should structure your training so that you can maximize your overall fitness.  Every workout counts.  Every week counts.

So many times people get lulled into thinking that the longest workouts are more important...or that the big weeks are more important.  IM training is more about consistency, avoiding sickness and injuries, and not burning out.

2014-01-14 2:45 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Expert
Boise, ID

Hey OP,

I am in a similar boat with you. IMCDA in June will be my first IM, I took last year off tri so I am starting from scratch on the run and swim, luckily I did a fair amount of biking last year. I have talked to a couple IM vets and they both told me to focus on the swim and bike training and don't hammer the run too hard. It is the most likely to get you injured and as Fred D said, almost every AGer walks at some point in the IM.

Previously I was really planning on focusing the run and hammering it hard in training, these talks have caused me to back off on that strategy a bit. Also the fact that I started running in late October and managed to tear my calf in December from building too fast. Now my focus is to train the run so I can do my best at it, but to do so in a smart manner that minimizes my risk of injury as much as possible. 

I can see 2.5 hour max runs being a good thing. Long runs can be hard to recover from, not the greatest thing when you need to swim and bike train as well. Anyway, I plan to use the custom plan creator as well so I will be right there with you.

2014-01-14 2:55 PM
in reply to: bcagle25

Originally posted by bcagle25

Your last sentence leads me to believe that you underperformed on the run. Dropping 3 minutes per mile in your last 2 miles is a sign you left a lot on the course. Not saying this in a negative way, just that I think a lot of people make this same mistake, not as many as the opposite.

Then again it might be I don't give a damn about any of that. Never have, probably never will

I wanted to finish before 16:59:59. I did. Objective was well achieved.

2014-01-14 3:14 PM

Sensei
Sin City

Different strokes for different folks - but I always like to get around 18-20 miles in at least once or twice before an IM.  Nothing more than that.  Something like a 3:00 run max - maybe 3:15.

NOT like an open marathon that I would tri to get 2-3, 20 mile runs in.

2014-01-14 3:22 PM

Expert
South Windsor CT
Really good advice here. My longest run leading up to Ironman Florida was 18 miles. I had a great swim and a good bike in the lead up to the marathon, but I was reduced to a run walk strategy during the marathon. What I learned was most important in the lead up to the run was Nutrition, Nutrition, Nutrition, Nutrition. I made a rookie mistake of not practicing it enough during my training. I still had an epic day though!!
During my training, I had alot of consistency day in and day out and thats what pulled me through.

Edited by CarlG 2014-01-14 3:26 PM
2014-01-14 8:13 PM

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Thanks so much for the input everyone. I am sure this is something I could have searched and found, but i haven't been in tritalk for a long time, and I am glad to still be able to connect.

I will definitely be focusing on total volume, and time on the long runs.

Really looking forward to seeing Matt and Fred in IMmT, as well as other folks I've "met" along the way. I'll be riding the bike that Fred got into my hands. It's going to be a great race.

2014-01-15 9:28 AM

Veteran
Maryland

For those of us who plan on utilizing the run/walk for the IM. When we practice it, do we practice it only on long runs? Or even on the "mid" runs once they get up to a certain time/distance?  If the main goal is to stay injury free and make it to race day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Longest long run in IM prep Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Long run tomorrow - fuel prep

Started by ironbaby
Views: 1537 Posts: 9

2013-06-24 9:21 AM Hot Runner

Longest Run in IM prep

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1938 Posts: 23

2013-03-22 10:26 AM jcnipper

long run and long bike back to back?

Started by kellc09
Views: 1632 Posts: 10

2006-02-26 8:32 AM amiine

How much longer is a long run?

Started by Schlag611
Views: 1085 Posts: 5

2005-03-23 7:41 PM webguy

LONG BIKE / LONG RUN

Started by COP2TRI
Views: 1413 Posts: 9

2005-01-07 5:54 PM COgirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 26, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on swimming with no pool, IM long bike and run scheduling, the importance of base, finding motivation, Zoot shoes and running gait analysis.

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.

date : September 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.