General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Practicing Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-17 10:27 AM

Subject: Practicing Nutrition
I'm curious how others here practice their nutrition.

I'm going to be training for my first IM this year. I've done several HIM's and have done my best to figure out nutrition. In my last one I think I finally figured out the problem of my stomach issues half way through the HIM run; it's what I eat the day before and the morning of. It seemed that the 24 hours before keeping my stores topped off was best done by consuming mostly liquid calories and eating lightly (lots of Ensure). I then had a good "movement" the morning of the race and all was good. In the past I had eaten normally the day before and just didn't "get rid of it all" the day of the race (sorry, try to read between the lines here, don't want to make this too gross, even though we all do it!).

So I guess the question is, how do you train on a somewhat empty GI system? As a normal AGer with a job and family most of my training is racing home from work or family event, shoving some food in my face and then heading out for a bike or run. Or I happened to have a larger meal a little bit before that can get me through a 3 hour ride with out having to consume calories on that ride.

I guess maybe I'll just have to be more disciplined about how / when I eat so that practicing nutrition will be similiar to race day.

Any experiences or suggestions would be great!

2014-01-17 10:37 AM
in reply to: burhed

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Practicing Nutrition
I think the key workouts for testing nutrition are the long rides and runs. Try to replicate your race day and pre race day routine as much as possible. In my experience, for your shorter workouts during the week, its not as critical to test each element of your plan. Its the long workouts where the issues will likely show up.
2014-01-17 11:04 AM
in reply to: burhed

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Practicing Nutrition
I'm definetly a tri newbie. When I was training for my first marathon however I wouldn't stress my every day nutrition (on my way to/from work etc.) to test nutrition but really concentrated on the long runs and how my diet the day before, of and during etc. affected me.

It seems focusing on long runs/rides for dialing in a nutrition plan would be a great start, focusing less but being aware of your everyday workout/nutrition combination.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Practicing Nutrition Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nutrition Question - 70.3 Practice Next Weekend. Help!!

Started by NeverEnough
Views: 992 Posts: 10

2012-06-24 9:44 AM NeverEnough

nutrition before practice swim

Started by trikevin
Views: 721 Posts: 5

2011-04-22 1:30 PM bradaskins

practicing HIM nutrition

Started by cathrone
Views: 945 Posts: 5

2008-04-23 10:54 AM JohnnyKay

Practice tri in the books, bring it on!

Started by DRM
Views: 730 Posts: 4

2004-04-12 12:50 PM cameronw

T0 - sleep to practice

Started by meanman
Views: 866 Posts: 6

2004-03-03 10:15 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.

date : August 17, 2007
author : mrakes1
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.

date : April 2, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
Serious athletes might also like to feast on this hard-core book that will answer all sports nutrition questions from A to Z.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was talking to this guy I work with who's son does tri's and he says that fish and sharks "NIP" at you while you are swimming." Okay so now I am freaked out.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.