Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-01-28 8:30 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Anchorman 2

Acting on behalf of yourself does not necessarily negate your moral obligations to not harm your fellow man.  Those that due are ignoring the laws that society has set up to protect others.  And that is not bad.  It is when laws negatively impact the innocent.  Like (can't believe I'm bringing it up) gun laws, then we have a problem.

And example of how my civil liberties are being affected are the gun laws of Colorado.  And I don't even own a gun. Or the fact that now that pot is legal here, you really do smell it all over the place.  (I know the law prohibits smoking in public, but tell that to the stoners.  I don't smell alcohol everywhere...

2014-01-28 8:30 AM

User image

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by Jackemy1

Originally posted by Left Brain

I would probably agree with that.....but wouldn't that be the natural evolution of any society where the population continues to expand?  At least uhntil something happens to lessen the population.....which also has a tipping point, right?

Why would that be? I think I would have to disagree with you that population growth requires the removal of individual right and civil liberties. While it does seem like a fairly consistent human pattern that people who live in urban are more willing to trade individual liberties for collectivism, I don't think is a requirement or a just evolution of our society. I mean there is no social contract that says I owe you anything because you merely exist.

That's right, but at some point there really is "for the good of society" to think about.....at least there is for me.  In my mind,if more people had that attitude there'd be less need for govt. instrusion at all.....but the majority of people are pretty self-centered.

Anyway, nothing you've givenme here has me changing my mind regarding the idea that the "erosion of liberties" is all just a bunchy of made up whatever that doesn't affect my life in the least bit.....and I have to say I don't see it affecting many others either....but it sounds good.

What is so bad with everyone looking out for their best interest? I mean isn't that the most efficient way to maximize the "good of society". Millions of people using their own resources to do what is best for them which by no intention of their own improve the general welfare. "Every individual necessarily labours to render the annual revenue of the society as great as he can. He generally neither intends to promote the public interest, nor knows how much he is promoting it ... He intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention. Nor is it always the worse for society that it was no part of his intention. By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it. I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the public good." - Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations. I have no intention of changing your view on this subject. That would be an impossible challenge. Some people think their political habits have no consequence on their liberty or they don't care as long as the Superbowl commercials are funny so they'll continue to vote for Democrats or big- government Republican. And then there are other folks like me that thinks something will get us well before climate change does and we love to drive our Chevy Tahoes to our weekend ski condos. We all got our pile of trash that we will leave for others to clean up after we are gone.

...ummm because everyone looking out for themselves is generally bad for those around them. I can make a billion dollars mining but it destroys all of the rivers around my mine. Those rivers are fished by men trying to make a living. Now I have destroyed that. How is that the most efficient way to maximize the good of society? In fast, it is the worst way to.

I don't understand how your example is valid. Dumping toxins in rivers is illegal.

Which is why we need regulation. If people simply acted in their own best interest it would not be good for society.

So are you advocating more regulation then?

In real application limited regulation that promotes and protects free markets are fine. That is one the mandated duties of the federal government.

But lets suppose that there was no regulation and the markets were absolutely unfettered meaning dumping toxins in rivers was and option for the mining company.

In this situation the cost of dumping into the river would far exceed the benefit to the mining company making it cost prohibited to pollute. The mining company would be required to pay fisherman, property owners, water users, environmental trusts, and so on the actual market cost of the economic loss and not some far below market government fine. The mining company, out of market necessity, would be require to find an alternative disposal solution for their toxins.

A real world but greatly flawed example of this is Cap and Trade. Polluters pay to pollute.
2014-01-28 8:46 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I would probably agree with that.....but wouldn't that be the natural evolution of any society where the population continues to expand?  At least uhntil something happens to lessen the population.....which also has a tipping point, right?

Why would that be? I think I would have to disagree with you that population growth requires the removal of individual right and civil liberties. While it does seem like a fairly consistent human pattern that people who live in urban are more willing to trade individual liberties for collectivism, I don't think is a requirement or a just evolution of our society. I mean there is no social contract that says I owe you anything because you merely exist.

That's right, but at some point there really is "for the good of society" to think about.....at least there is for me.  In my mind,if more people had that attitude there'd be less need for govt. instrusion at all.....but the majority of people are pretty self-centered.

Anyway, nothing you've givenme here has me changing my mind regarding the idea that the "erosion of liberties" is all just a bunchy of made up whatever that doesn't affect my life in the least bit.....and I have to say I don't see it affecting many others either....but it sounds good.

What is so bad with everyone looking out for their best interest? I mean isn't that the most efficient way to maximize the "good of society". Millions of people using their own resources to do what is best for them which by no intention of their own improve the general welfare. "Every individual necessarily labours to render the annual revenue of the society as great as he can. He generally neither intends to promote the public interest, nor knows how much he is promoting it ... He intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention. Nor is it always the worse for society that it was no part of his intention. By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it. I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the public good." - Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations. I have no intention of changing your view on this subject. That would be an impossible challenge. Some people think their political habits have no consequence on their liberty or they don't care as long as the Superbowl commercials are funny so they'll continue to vote for Democrats or big- government Republican. And then there are other folks like me that thinks something will get us well before climate change does and we love to drive our Chevy Tahoes to our weekend ski condos. We all got our pile of trash that we will leave for others to clean up after we are gone.

...ummm because everyone looking out for themselves is generally bad for those around them. I can make a billion dollars mining but it destroys all of the rivers around my mine. Those rivers are fished by men trying to make a living. Now I have destroyed that. How is that the most efficient way to maximize the good of society? In fast, it is the worst way to.

I don't understand how your example is valid. Dumping toxins in rivers is illegal.

Which is why we need regulation. If people simply acted in their own best interest it would not be good for society.

In real application limited regulation that promotes and protects free markets are fine. That is one the mandated duties of the federal government. But lets suppose that there was no regulation and the markets were absolutely unfettered meaning dumping toxins in rivers was and option for the mining company. In this situation the cost of dumping into the river would far exceed the benefit to the mining company making it cost prohibited to pollute. The mining company would be required to pay fisherman, property owners, water users, environmental trusts, and so on the actual market cost of the economic loss and not some far below market government fine. The mining company, out of market necessity, would be require to find an alternative disposal solution for their toxins. A real world but greatly flawed example of this is Cap and Trade. Polluters pay to pollute.

Well looking at the recent chemical spills into the water table in West Virginia, I would assert that polluters are not paying to pollute, and that we do need more regulation. Specifically because people looking out for their own interests is NOT the best thing for everyone else. It is in fact, bad for everyone else.

2014-01-28 12:06 PM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by velocomp

Acting on behalf of yourself does not necessarily negate your moral obligations to not harm your fellow man.  Those that due are ignoring the laws that society has set up to protect others.  And that is not bad.  It is when laws negatively impact the innocent.  Like (can't believe I'm bringing it up) gun laws, then we have a problem.

And example of how my civil liberties are being affected are the gun laws of Colorado.  And I don't even own a gun. Or the fact that now that pot is legal here, you really do smell it all over the place.  (I know the law prohibits smoking in public, but tell that to the stoners.  I don't smell alcohol everywhere...

Given that morality is very much a relative thing, I would argue that your idea of what my moral obligation towards you is might be very different from what I think my moral obligation towards you is.

Most people would say that there is a moral obligation to try to help someone who is hurt or in trouble, but there are many, many examples where people willingly choose to stand by and do nothing because they feel it's not their problem. You are arguing morality vs law and the two aren't necessarily the same thing. I may not be legally obligated to call the police if I suspect someone is being mugged outside, but I would say that I'm morally obligated to do so.

Likewise, a company or corporation might not be in violation of any laws if their buisiness practices are detrimental to the local environment or the community. You can't really hold a company to a moral standard, can you? That's why there are laws and regulations.

Regarding the civil liberties thing, couldn't you, based on your statement above, make the argument that every law is a violation of the civil liberty of the "innocent"? IOW, if I'm a responsible gun owner, and have no kids in my house, and never take my guns out when there are guests in my house, it would seem like an infringement on my civil liberties to, for example, require that I use a trigger lock or a gun safe, since it's curtailing my right to use my property in the way I want. But, if you believe that, couldn't one also say that speed limits do the same thing? I'm a safe driver. My late-model car is impeccably maintained, I'm an awesome driver with no tickets or prior arrests and I would never drive drunk. Why shouldn't I be able to drive as fast as I want, whereever I want? The answer is, because not everyone is as responsible I am and, in a civilized society, sadly, sometimes, protecting the population as a whole from irresponsible and stupid people requires that we all be inconvenienced in some way, from time to time.

2014-01-29 8:09 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by velocomp

Given that morality is very much a relative thing, I would argue that your idea of what my moral obligation towards you is might be very different from what I think my moral obligation towards you is. Most people would say that there is a moral obligation to try to help someone who is hurt or in trouble, but there are many, many examples where people willingly choose to stand by and do nothing because they feel it's not their problem. You are arguing morality vs law and the two aren't necessarily the same thing. I may not be legally obligated to call the police if I suspect someone is being mugged outside, but I would say that I'm morally obligated to do so. Likewise, a company or corporation might not be in violation of any laws if their buisiness practices are detrimental to the local environment or the community. You can't really hold a company to a moral standard, can you? That's why there are laws and regulations. Regarding the civil liberties thing, couldn't you, based on your statement above, make the argument that every law is a violation of the civil liberty of the "innocent"? IOW, if I'm a responsible gun owner, and have no kids in my house, and never take my guns out when there are guests in my house, it would seem like an infringement on my civil liberties to, for example, require that I use a trigger lock or a gun safe, since it's curtailing my right to use my property in the way I want. But, if you believe that, couldn't one also say that speed limits do the same thing? I'm a safe driver. My late-model car is impeccably maintained, I'm an awesome driver with no tickets or prior arrests and I would never drive drunk. Why shouldn't I be able to drive as fast as I want, whereever I want? The answer is, because not everyone is as responsible I am and, in a civilized society, sadly, sometimes, protecting the population as a whole from irresponsible and stupid people requires that we all be inconvenienced in some way, from time to time.

A moral obligation is not to another.  It is your own knowing what is right and wrong.  We may disagree on some things, but doing something that would hurt others (say pouring toxic chemicals into an aquafir is easily recognized as bad.  Accidents happen, but when you do something that you know will hurt someone else, that is being immoral.  Yes there are gray areas, and I'm not going to argue those as people tend to like to nitpick things and try to put words in your mouth.  You know what is right and wrong.  Take a side and believe in it.

2014-01-29 8:10 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

In real application limited regulation that promotes and protects free markets are fine. That is one the mandated duties of the federal government. But lets suppose that there was no regulation and the markets were absolutely unfettered meaning dumping toxins in rivers was and option for the mining company. In this situation the cost of dumping into the river would far exceed the benefit to the mining company making it cost prohibited to pollute. The mining company would be required to pay fisherman, property owners, water users, environmental trusts, and so on the actual market cost of the economic loss and not some far below market government fine. The mining company, out of market necessity, would be require to find an alternative disposal solution for their toxins. A real world but greatly flawed example of this is Cap and Trade. Polluters pay to pollute.

Well looking at the recent chemical spills into the water table in West Virginia, I would assert that polluters are not paying to pollute, and that we do need more regulation. Specifically because people looking out for their own interests is NOT the best thing for everyone else. It is in fact, bad for everyone else.

So if acting in our best interest is bad for everyone else, then we should remove the ability of anyone to act in their best interest to maximize the general welfare of the country. The more self interest we remove the better we all will be?

Am I correct in stating your opinion?

Edited by Jackemy1 2014-01-29 8:12 AM

2014-01-29 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Well yes, if EVERYONE acted in a way that was good for EVERYONE, we would probably all be better or in the long run. However, this is not practical. Therefore we have to employ a system where people can act in their own interest, as long as it does not have too negative an impact on others. We especially need to regulate big businesses and heavy industry because they have a larger ability to negatively impact others. I.e. the WV chemical spills that polluted the drinking water of (not sure on the number) tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of innocent bystanders.

2014-01-29 9:27 AM

User image

Well yes, if EVERYONE acted in a way that was good for EVERYONE, we would probably all be better or in the long run. However, this is not practical. Therefore we have to employ a system where people can act in their own interest, as long as it does not have too negative an impact on others. We especially need to regulate big businesses and heavy industry because they have a larger ability to negatively impact others. I.e. the WV chemical spills that polluted the drinking water of (not sure on the number) tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of innocent bystanders.

Do you believe that the company that was responsible for the spill acted in their self interest? Did the employees and shareholders really decide that spilling chemicals in the river was in the best interest of the company?

Now getting back to the evils of self interest.

A group of investors decides to provide funds to develop a drug in the self interest to get a return on their investment. Scientist apply for jobs to research and develop the drug in the self interest to earn a wage. salesmen sell the drug to pharmacies in the self interest to earn a commission. Pharmacies fill the prescription in the self interest to make a profit. patients buy the drug in the self interest to be healthy.

Now in this simple market example every single individual in the step from investment in product to delivery of product was in it for selfish motives. Yet the public benefited from a drug that makes people healthier.......how is that so?
2014-01-29 9:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Do you believe that the company that was responsible for the spill acted in their self interest? Did the employees and shareholders really decide that spilling chemicals in the river was in the best interest of the company? Now getting back to the evils of self interest. A group of investors decides to provide funds to develop a drug in the self interest to get a return on their investment. Scientist apply for jobs to research and develop the drug in the self interest to earn a wage. salesmen sell the drug to pharmacies in the self interest to earn a commission. Pharmacies fill the prescription in the self interest to make a profit. patients buy the drug in the self interest to be healthy. Now in this simple market example every single individual in the step from investment in product to delivery of product was in it for selfish motives. Yet the public benefited from a drug that makes people healthier.......how is that so?

They only do this if it makes money. Boner pills and T-patches are gold mines, is that really the best pharm research for everyone? They pressure/bribe the doctors to prescribe, and overprescribe their drugs. Is that in the best interest of everyone? Do you really think that all these kids really need medication for ADD? Do you think that the Pharm companies have something to do with the overprescribing?

Also, if acting in your own self interest is good for everyone, what do we need guns for? surely not to protect ourselves.

2014-01-29 10:54 AM

User image

Do you believe that the company that was responsible for the spill acted in their self interest? Did the employees and shareholders really decide that spilling chemicals in the river was in the best interest of the company? Now getting back to the evils of self interest. A group of investors decides to provide funds to develop a drug in the self interest to get a return on their investment. Scientist apply for jobs to research and develop the drug in the self interest to earn a wage. salesmen sell the drug to pharmacies in the self interest to earn a commission. Pharmacies fill the prescription in the self interest to make a profit. patients buy the drug in the self interest to be healthy. Now in this simple market example every single individual in the step from investment in product to delivery of product was in it for selfish motives. Yet the public benefited from a drug that makes people healthier.......how is that so?

They only do this if it makes money. Boner pills and T-patches are gold mines, is that really the best pharm research for everyone? They pressure/bribe the doctors to prescribe, and overprescribe their drugs. Is that in the best interest of everyone? Do you really think that all these kids really need medication for ADD? Do you think that the Pharm companies have something to do with the overprescribing?

Also, if acting in your own self interest is good for everyone, what do we need guns for? surely not to protect ourselves.

What authority do you have to decide what phrama research should be done? Help me understand what is it in your make up that believes that you are more qualified to able to determine was is best for everyone than anyone can determine what is best for them on their own? What make you smarter on the subject than the collective millions of consumers out there?

Millions of couples have decided that sexual intercourse is a very important quality of life issue and are willing to pay lots of money to preserve and enhance that quality of life. Who are you to say otherwise?

And for guns......In a gunfight the most important rule is...HAVE A GUN!

2014-01-29 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

finding a cure for a rare disease doesn't make money. in that case, the free market has decided that someone's life isn't that important. Capitalism should not be our moral compass.

2014-01-29 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Denver

I think you guys are just arguing past each other because it's not a good/evil, black/white, either/or situation.  Sometimes rational self interest is a good thing and sometimes it's a destructive thing.  Its great for allocating resources efficiently in markets for private goods like consumer products.  It's terrible for allocation of common-pool resources such as fisheries, the atmosphere or national defense where it not only encourages but requires unsustainable use (tragedy of the commons) and free-riding.  But some blanket statement that people acting in their self-interest is always good/right or bad/wrong is missing context and the bigger picture.

ETA - Heh, yeah, that clip makes Anchorman look like a documentary.

Edited by drewb8 2014-01-29 12:15 PM
2014-01-29 12:20 PM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I never said it was always a bad thing, just that it is not always for the common good.

2014-01-29 12:43 PM

User image

You still have answered where you derive your authority form.

But, lets look at that capitalism as not a moral compass statement.

You got two diseases and one is rare an one is not so rare. The rare disease afflicts 100 people and the not so rare one afflicts 1000.

Say the potential revenue stream to a drug manufacturer is $100,000 per individual.

The cost to bring the drug to market is $50 million.

So developing a drug for the rare disease brings an investor a return of $50 million while the rare disease brings the investor a loss of $40 million

So from a self interest capitalism view it is obvious that the not so rare drug is the one that should receive the investment.

And the side benefit is that the investment created a public benefit that was 10 times greater that an investment into the rare disease. The investors could have had not a care in the world other than maximizing his return. But in maximizing his return, the investor maximize public benefit.

What is more moral? saving 10 lives for 1 or saving 1 life for 10?

Last night in Obama's speech he pointed out a lady in the crowd that got insurance and two days later had surgery. That is great. But he failed to mention the millions that lost their insurance because of a centralized decision. Is her life worth the life of millions?

What is a better compass of morality? The "invisible hand" of capitalism or the top down authority of centralized control. The clear answer in these examples and in history is capitalism.

If you are interested in this stuff and want to get a better understanding in economics and enlightenment period philosophy, I really suggest to take a look a writing by philosophers like Adam Smith and John Locke. It is good stuff to know even if you reject the premise of it.

Edited by Jackemy1 2014-01-29 12:44 PM
2014-01-29 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Your analogies would be true in an either or situation. In real life, there is money to develop the drug, but no company would ever develop a drug to help people and lose money doing it. Is that your moral? I only help people if it pays for me?

Our government funds research into things that are not profitable, and many times private industry benefits from this research. Yet, the GOP decries public funding and says no, the free market should do it.

I don't understand your question about where I derive my authority from.

Which millions lost insurance? Not sure where you are getting this.

Maybe you should read Hobbes.

X

2014-01-29 3:49 PM

User image

No civil society can help people and continue to lose money and resources. Neither money nor resources are unlimited. All charity whether it is force or free given is derived from excess wealth. This is a good reason why America is the most charitable nation in the world and not Haiti.

We'll....unless your Mother Theresa and none of us are Mother Theresa.

So yes, We can only help people if it "pays for me".

I've read Hobbes. He is wrong about human nature. But, now I understand your very low opinion of humanity.

As for my question on authority. I am glad you brought up Hobbes because the answer is in his book Leviathan.

2014-01-29 11:04 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

finding a cure for a rare disease doesn't make money. in that case, the free market has decided that someone's life isn't that important.

Do you need to borrow one of my tinfoil hats? :-) (can't sarc font on my phone)
2014-01-30 8:22 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

if you have my size I'll take one. but really, when does a for profit pharm company release a drug for a rare disease?

2014-01-30 8:39 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

if you have my size I'll take one. but really, when does a for profit pharm company release a drug for a rare disease?

In all seriousness I do agree with you on this one.  Purely from a business standpoint and taking the human side out of it, it wouldn't really be possible for a company to do this.  I don't know the numbers, but I'm going to WAG and say that it costs tens of millions of dollars to build a lab, hire scientists, and get through all of the regulation hurdles necessary to get a drug on the market for any disease (rare or common).  If the disease happens to be rare then you have to cover your costs somewhere so the drug would have to cost 100's of thousands of dollars per pill which of course wouldn't fly.

To get a little more into the tinfoil hat realm I've also wondered about drug companies being incented to truly cure diseases.  A company making a billion dollars a year selling a drug to treat disease X wouldn't exactly be incentivized to cure disease X permanently would they?  Especially if they have a patent protecting their "market".

2014-01-30 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

yes! also why most of our medications control/treat symptoms, and we don't address the root problem. (which I believe should be through diet and lifestyle)

2014-01-30 8:54 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by SevenZulu

In the good old days, you might be able to egg Justin Bieber's house and get away with it, but now with all the drones, cctv cameras, cell phone signal tracking, and license plate scanning going on, there's no way you could pull it off.  See, our civil liberties are severely restricted now !!!

Oh......so now you have to be a bit creative and because of that our civil liberties are being eroded?   

Probably the most significant, but not necessarily obvious one is the erosion of our 4th amendment rights.

With the new digital age the government has been effectively busting into everyone's house and rummaging through all their stuff without warrant.  However, they haven't been doing it in the traditional sense of going into somebodies house they've done it at the digital level.

Virtually everything we do in society today is tracked and recorded.  Even our cellphones have full time GPS tracking with Cameras and audio recording capabilities.  Is the government tracking and monitoring my cellphone?  Of course not, but I have no 4th amendment protection anymore from them doing it if they want to because our society has deemed that it's more important to give our government the power to "keep us safe" at all costs.

When we give the government this kind of power, the power will ultimately be abused.

There's no reason for the government to pick on me individually because I'm a nobody, but the simple fact that they have the power and the ability to connect to my computer or cellphone without any legal recourse is scary.  With intent gradually being removed from more and more of our laws, it becomes easier and easier for political targeting and abuse to occur.

2014-01-30 9:15 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by SevenZulu

In the good old days, you might be able to egg Justin Bieber's house and get away with it, but now with all the drones, cctv cameras, cell phone signal tracking, and license plate scanning going on, there's no way you could pull it off.  See, our civil liberties are severely restricted now !!!

Oh......so now you have to be a bit creative and because of that our civil liberties are being eroded?   

Probably the most significant, but not necessarily obvious one is the erosion of our 4th amendment rights.

With the new digital age the government has been effectively busting into everyone's house and rummaging through all their stuff without warrant.  However, they haven't been doing it in the traditional sense of going into somebodies house they've done it at the digital level.

Virtually everything we do in society today is tracked and recorded.  Even our cellphones have full time GPS tracking with Cameras and audio recording capabilities.  Is the government tracking and monitoring my cellphone?  Of course not, but I have no 4th amendment protection anymore from them doing it if they want to because our society has deemed that it's more important to give our government the power to "keep us safe" at all costs.

When we give the government this kind of power, the power will ultimately be abused.

There's no reason for the government to pick on me individually because I'm a nobody, but the simple fact that they have the power and the ability to connect to my computer or cellphone without any legal recourse is scary.  With intent gradually being removed from more and more of our laws, it becomes easier and easier for political targeting and abuse to occur.

Then I guess I'll ultimately be upset......but so far I don't feel abused, don't feel like my freedom is being infringed upon, and don't feel like it affects my life one bit......not even a small bit.

2014-01-30 11:42 AM

User image

yes! also why most of our medications control/treat symptoms, and we don't address the root problem. (which I believe should be through diet and lifestyle)

I'll agree with you on that one.
2014-01-30 12:05 PM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Originally posted by drewb8

I think you guys are just arguing past each other because it's not a good/evil, black/white, either/or situation.  Sometimes rational self interest is a good thing and sometimes it's a destructive thing.  Its great for allocating resources efficiently in markets for private goods like consumer products.  It's terrible for allocation of common-pool resources such as fisheries, the atmosphere or national defense where it not only encourages but requires unsustainable use (tragedy of the commons) and free-riding.  But some blanket statement that people acting in their self-interest is always good/right or bad/wrong is missing context and the bigger picture.

The thing is that often times regulations subsidizes the polluter for polluting. IMHO, the government is a terrible steward of public and common property.

2014-01-30 12:39 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by drewb8

The thing is that often times regulations subsidizes the polluter for polluting. IMHO, the government is a terrible steward of public and common property.

I can attest to to throwing a lot of garbage overboard when I was in the Navy.  

One of my favorite stories of how stupid our government is:

When my ship was in the gulf around 93/94 we couldn't throw anything overboard and had to keep all of our garbage on the ship because of how shallow the gulf was.  We didn't want to hurt the environment.
So, we're stinking like no tomorrow due to weeks of garbage being stacked in rooms and in the hallway.  It was so nasty I can't even explain.
We get to port and they hire a local garbage hauler who pulls a barge up next to our ship.  We spend several hours offloading all of our nasty rancid moldy garbage onto the barge.  I am looking at the barge and wondering how they unload it and start talking to one of the workers on the barge.  He says they take it about 50 miles out into the gulf and dump it out the bottom.  /facepalm

So, in order for the US to feel good about itself and not pollute we pay what is likely a large sum of money to a foreign country to go dump our garbage in the same place we could have just dumped it.

I guess this is an example of a cap and trade style system.  We still get to pollute, but we pay somebody else to feel better about it.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Anchorman 2 Rss Feed  

of 3