General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lactic threshold confusion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-04 9:58 PM

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: lactic threshold confusion
i am still a bit foggy on this topic. tomorrow i have a bike workout that says 15' warmup and the 4' at lactic threshold. how do i know that i am at lactic threshold? is this when my legs are almost at fatigue, is this when i am breathing heavy and pushing all out? if it is supposed to be near fatigue, how am i supposed to get to that point after a 15 minute warmup. sorry i know this is probably talked about all the time but i cant seem to find an article or discussion to clear up this confusion.
thank you

2006-08-05 4:12 AM
in reply to: #502867

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: lactic threshold confusion

You first need to do a test to find your HR at lactate threshold and then you ride at that HR for the designated time.  As a rough estimate your threshold will be at the point when your breathing rate suddenly increases.

2006-08-05 8:04 AM

Pro
yep,

davemadoch - 2006-08-04 10:58 PM i am still a bit foggy on this topic. tomorrow i have a bike workout that says 15' warmup and the 4' at lactic threshold. how do i know that i am at lactic threshold? is this when my legs are almost at fatigue, is this when i am breathing heavy and pushing all out? if it is supposed to be near fatigue, how am i supposed to get to that point after a 15 minute warmup. sorry i know this is probably talked about all the time but i cant seem to find an article or discussion to clear up this confusion. thank you

Okay dave if you type into the search HR-220 you should come up with a thread of past discussion.  I'll bump the thread anyways just to have it back on the top.  Anyways Latic Threshold or LTH is a point where your heart rate is where you produce latic acid in yoru muscles, causing pain.  Now to test for this there are several different ways.  You can do a 10' warm up 40' time trial going all out for that time and getting your avg heart rate.  Or you can go hard for 3 miles on flat ground and get your avg heart rate for that.  With the LT HR you can then train more effectively with it and train within certain zones.  Now for your workout tomorrow you have a 15' warm up to get the body going and the heart rate up and then 4' at latic  threshold.  So you warm up for 15' and then have your heart rate stay at that LT zone for 4' and then I assume continue with your ride or go back home.  I hope this helps out and good luck with your training.

2006-08-05 11:59 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Dave,

what type of program are you following? If you are having this much confusion with your program, then you need to spend some time getting some baseline information like the two above posters have written about.

What does the remainder of that workout entail? LT work at 4 minutes isn't really that helpful, unless there are more LT intervals after that.

You really need to spend time finding yoru appropriate training zones to get teh most for yoru current plan, or switch to a different plan.

The 220-age thread has tons of good info, as does the triathlete's training bible by Joe Friel.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lactic threshold confusion Rss Feed