80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 22s
Overall Rank = 19/48
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/16
Pre-race routine:

Race times now available!

Left the house at 6 a.m. working on coffee and a bagel. My husband drove, bless him. Got to the race site and checked in around 7:30. Totally forgot my USAT card and left my photo ID in the car (early morning fuzzy head), but luckily this is Iowa. I was able to remember my own address so they gave me my packet. Set up transition. This time I attached my bike shoes to the frame of my bike with twist ties and rubber bands so my shoes wouldn't bang around while I ran to mount. Decided to skip the gloves but put socks on for the run. I did the whole thing without socks once and it wasn't pretty.
Event warmup:

Once I'd gotten my whole fabulous shoe-attaching thing done on the bike I didn't want to mess it up, so I just ran a half mile or so to warm up. It was very humid and easy to break a sweat. Drank some more sport juice. Put on my wetsuit (water temp was 75) and went down to the beach. Swam maybe 100 yards to warm up and by that point they were lining up.
Swim
  • 11m 2s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Doing better every time at the swim, probably by calming down. The wetsuit helps tremendously. Caught a few people from the wave before us and came out of the water at least mid-wave if not better. Now that I have the results, it turned out I ranked highest in the swim (in the overall rankings) this time. This is unprecedented, folks! If my swim is now my strongest event, I suspect that the earth is not spinning properly on its axis. Or something. Oddly, I rank less well at swimming among the women than in the overall rankings. Are women better swimmers than men?
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. REAL happy with this one.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I'm not sure what that helmet on/suit off at same time one means. Are you supposed to be kicking off your wetsuit with your feet while attaching your helmet? I always need both hands to yank off my wetsuit. This was a pretty fast transition though. Popped on glasses and helmet, yanked off wetsuit, grabbed bike, ran for the mounting line.

Having my shoes attached to the frame worked really nicely, but it took more time than I wanted to get my feet properly snugged up in my shoes so that I could take off. The problem is that I'm using mountain biking shoes that are ordinarily lace-ups, and I take out the laces and just use the velcro closure at the ankle. They fit a little looser than they should and it's all a little awkward. Maybe Santa will bring me better shoes....
Bike
  • 47m 20s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.75 mile/hr
Comments:

The cycling is usually my strongest event. I ought to enter some cycling races.

Really starting to long for aerobars, not quite ready for that level of commitment to this whole thing. Disappointed at my pace, really. I was trying to get closer to 20 mph.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

No problem with this transition. Put socks on here but it went pretty fast.
Run
  • 27m 12s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 26s  min/km
Comments:

Started out sluggish and felt pretty good through the middle. Got a sideache midway, probably from eating a Gu on the bike in an attempt not to get so wasted in the run. That went away after a while, but I didn't feel as strong as I'd hoped toward the end. There were several people I should've caught and didn't.

I probably need more long brick training, working on speed at the end of the workout. This is a way slower pace than I do even on my long runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Came over the line and immediately had to stand still for nearly a minute while a woman struggled to get the timing chip band off my leg and someone else had similar difficulties tearing the strip off my number. It was like being the Straw Man in the Emerald City. Then I immediately found myself chasing and carrying my 3-yr-old, which is less like a warmdown than another workout.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wasn't really trying for a full race effort today, more of a workout to prepare for Iowa Games next week where I'm competing with a friend. Considering that, I was very happy with how it went. Events have gotten in the way of my training a lot lately, so I was glad to see that I don't seem to have lost any fitness since the Pigman.

Event comments:

The post race activities were severely compromised by the onslaught of a massive thunderstorm and then tornadoes. The main tent nearly blew away! My little boy was scared to death and clinging to my neck, rain was bucketing down, and in the end we all had to run for the nearest building through the rain because of the tornado warning. It's hard to judge what the organizers had done because everything went so haywire, but up to that point it had all been great, really professional. We even acquired a nice folding chair that someone abandoned in the chaos, so if someone is looking for the one they lost, drop me a PM and I'll get it to you!

Last updated: 2004-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:02 | 500 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 26/48
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless longjohn
Course: out and back in a quiet lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:20 | 14 miles | 17.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 19/48
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back, tailwind going out, pretty serious headwind coming back. Got passed by a couple of women from the (younger) wave after me, but other than that I was pretty much only passing men from the wave in front.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80s
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:12 | 05 kms | 05m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 23/48
Performance: Average
Course: Around the lake, a few good hills, nice cool breeze coming in as prologue to the tornado that would come within 5 miles an hour later. Still, nasty humid.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-07-11 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Subject: Cornman Triathlon

2004-07-11 6:35 PM
in reply to: #36671

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
Subject: RE: Cornman Triathlon

Great job Carrie!  Glad you were finished before the storm.  Hope you get your results soon.

Jen

2004-07-16 5:55 PM
in reply to: #36686

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Okay, results are up. I was exactly mid-pack in my age group, and I've managed to convince myself that this means I need a tri bike, especially since I've achieved some real improvement on my swim.

Anyone to second the motion?

Anyone?
2004-07-17 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
I'm here and we have a quorum - I'll second that motion. Spending approved! A great job Carrie. And your telling of it is an entertaining read! Thanks and good luck at Iowa Games. Please post that too.

Kevin
2004-07-17 11:14 PM
in reply to: #38303

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I wanted to clarify that when I said I ranked highest in the swim, I meant higher than I ranked in the bike or the run, not higher than everyone else. The day I beat everyone out of the water, the earth will indeed cease to turn on its axis. You are warned.
2004-07-18 8:49 AM

Really nice race Carrie -- your tri bike purchase is approved! You have made and are making great improvements for yourself.. Way to go.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cornman Triathlon Rss Feed