Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Sport Senior
Age Group Rank = 0/
Bike
  • 00m
  • 28 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

I hung onto a good pace line in the flat section and was well positioned at the beginning of the climbs. When the uphill began, my chain started skipping really badly. I had replaced it on Wednesday and tested it out on pavement, but the kind of force exerted on dirt is entirely different, much more mashing, so the chain skipped on the two top cogs with every pedal stroke.

Frustrated, I was forced to drop to granny gear and spin my way up on a climb I usually do in the middle ring. When we got to a semiflat area, I put on the big ring and stood on the pedals....big mistake. My chain dropped to the middle ring immediately and I was lunged forward, hitting my privates on the stem. Ouch. This incident would keep me from sprinting out of corners and stuff like that.

I kept riding until a series of steep, technical climbs began, and much to my surprise I cleared them even with the chain skipping. Because of the difficulty of that section, I had no choice but to do them in my lowest gear, where the chain issues were at their worst. I was just waiting for it to break any moment. Sometimes I had to go at a much lower gear than usual and just spin and on other ocassions I had to push a harder gear. I wanted to drop out, but I was just amazed I kept passing one rider after another and wasn't getting passed too much. And it was still faster to ride up, even under such circumstance, than to walk.

Prior to starting, I really wanted to have a good race. July had been possibly my worst training month ever. Now, finally feeling OK, I was having mechanical issues. I really felt like getting off the bike and calling it quits, thinking I didn't need this crap.

But just passing riders who usually beat me in these races kept me going. And I figured it was too late to turn back, so I'd wait till the end of the first lap and then decide.

When we reached the long downhill section, I let go of my brakes and had a smooth run down the mountain, and before I knew it I was on to the second and final lap!

I found some guy to work with on the flats. Apparently, he just wanted a pull, but I told him we should switch every 20 or so seconds and he hesitantly agreed. It worked and we flew on the flats.

Once the climbs started again, I calmly played with my gearing to try to have it skip less. Then I just focused on picking off riders one by one. A lot of people were walking up the technical climbs, probably having run out of juice after the first lap. It was odd not being able to ride in my usual gearing, but it also made me spin more than usual and keep my legs fresher throughout the first lap. I managed to find and push a bigger gear than usual on the second lap because of that.

I tore it up on the downhill, a bit faster this time around and then finished the whole race about 13 minutes faster than expected!
What would you do differently?:

Even though I tested the new chain for three straight days prior to the race, I did so on pavement and not on dirt. If I had known, I would have placed the old chain back on just for the race.

However, I'm sure that having to scale back on some of the climbs, especially during the first lap, left me with some power for a strong second lap.

I'm not really in contention in this age group, so my goal is usually to put in a good effort and not get passed too badly.

In this race, I FINALLY felt good physically and beat a lot of the people who usually finish a few minutes ahead of me.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wornout drivetrain with new chain, not a good match on a MTB. Must replace cassette and big chainring.

Need to continue doing these races and improving. More MTB-specific training would also help. ;)

I know I put in a good, consistent effort because my AVG HR throughout the race was a bit higher than usual, but I felt fine and strong and managed to quiet the mind, shut out frustration and get the job done.

Event comments:

Next MTB race on September 10th!

Last updated: 2006-08-06 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 28 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-07 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Gatorade MTB series race III

2006-08-07 9:20 AM
in reply to: #503899

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Gatorade MTB series race III
Interesting learning experience. Your mental fortitude to keep going was impressive and maybe the first lap gearing lesson can be applied in other races. I like your attitude and drive. Congrats on finishing well.
2006-08-07 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Nice race Felix - Buen Hecho!

-Frank
2006-08-07 5:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Awesome race Felix.

As frustrated as you were by the mechanical issues you stuck with it and placed better than you usually would have. This is a testament to your racing mentality.

There must something in spinning up those hills to save your legs too. Perhaps you'll approach your next race in a similar fashion, but with fully functional equipment??

Edited to say: Oops I didn't read ME's post. I could have just posted "Yeah, right on, what he said!"

Edited by Casie 2006-08-07 5:58 PM
2006-08-08 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Good race, it is funny how we actually do better when things are not working out the way we want them too. You have been sick, you probably cursed your chain for not gripping then yourself for putting the chain on. And still you did better then normal !!

It takes great pride and determination not to quit when things don’t go according to plan. Way to hang in there.

On another note, maybe you have been riding to high a gear before. Earlier when I came to a hill I liked to use “brute force” simply just power myself up and over. I don’t know if it is because I don’t have the strength anymore, but I have turned around completely and now I usually spin up the hills. It dose not feel as good as when you can power over, but it is not necessarily that much slower and more important your legs will last longer. Then again, you should do what you are comfortable with, not what other people are comfortable with

2006-08-08 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
sounds great.  Even when you were having problems, you had a great ride.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade MTB series race III Rss Feed