General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri suit vs wet suit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-03-20 8:46 PM

Subject: tri suit vs wet suit
I am very new to the sport have been riding swimming and running for 9 months going to compete this summer i have been reading rules on wet suits so does a tri suit comply to water temp rules or is that just a wet suit. for a mini sprint 400m to 750m swim 12 mile bike and 3.1 run would you ware a tri suit right on through all events. input welcome thanks

2014-03-20 8:52 PM
in reply to: blaze507

User image

Master
Subject: RE: tri suit vs wet suit
A tri suit has no flotation so it is fine in any event. A wet suit offers flotation so it corrects for some swimming flaws and makes most people faster. Some people would use the floatation to their advantage so that is where the temp rule comes in. A wet suit keeps you warm, but a tri suit doesn't. For a sprint, like you described, a trisuit is fine.
2014-03-20 9:28 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

You can check out triathlon clothes at swimoutlet or trisports. Generally a trisuit (one piece) will be less expensive than two piece (shorts and top). It is individual preference (I happen to prefer one piece trisuit). They fit tight, and you will want to wear it for a few workouts prior to your first race. Wetsuit goes over the trisuit. After the swim, you just peel it off and get ready for bike. I like wearing a wetsuit if temps allow it, and swim is at least 400 m. If you don't wear a trisuit (or tri shorts and top), it gets a little more complicated at transition. You will have to pull bike shorts over a swimsuit (no changing area), and it is hard to put any kind of shirt on (especially a tight one) when your torso is wet). There are a lot of good threads here that should answer a lot of questions, and have some recommendations for you. Number belt, for example, so you don't have to deal with safety pins. Have fun!
2014-03-21 2:44 AM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

Get a tri suit, you'll need one anyway. Don't fork out hundreds of $$ on tri gear, it might not be for you. Do a season with crappy gear and see how you go.
2014-03-21 6:15 AM
in reply to: pschriver

thanks all for the great advise
2014-03-21 7:57 AM
in reply to: blaze507

User image

Melbourne, Florida

Both a trisuit and wetsuit are optional.

A trisuit (if you chose to buy one) is your race kit. You wear that through the entire event. Other options are tri shorts and a tri top, tri shorts and no top (you can slip on a jersey for the bike portion), or what feels comfortable in the swim/bike/run portions. But keep in mind that you want to wear tight clothing in the swim and bike sections. You might as well find something that will work for all three. Hence, the tri shorts/suit. They both have a chamois for cycling, but it's much thinner than cycling shorts. This will allow less water to get soaked up in the water and is also soft enough that it won't be uncomfortable during the run.

A wetsuit is for comfort in the water - both temperature and floatation. Unlike a surf wetsuit (going commando), you would wear your race kit under the swim wetsuit. Then, at T1 (transition one), you can strip off the cap, goggles, and wet suit; put on your helmet, glasses, and shoes (if they're not already attached to your bike); and grab your bike and go. In a long distance tri (IM) there are changing tents. Since you're gonna be cycling for a few hours, then running for a few more hours, you want to be extra comfortable.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » tri suit vs wet suit Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To wet suit or not to wet suit...

Started by bshehan
Views: 1472 Posts: 19

2006-07-26 4:37 PM drdi

Wet Suit vs No Wet Suit

Started by Randyn1
Views: 888 Posts: 3

2006-06-06 5:50 PM CitySky

Wet suit Vs No wet suit

Started by Ellen
Views: 1198 Posts: 5

2006-05-07 9:58 AM alehr2

Power suit, wet suit?

Started by hanzelmans
Views: 962 Posts: 7

2005-07-07 7:36 AM p4406

Wet suit vs. birthday suit

Started by max
Views: 1218 Posts: 7

2004-06-02 7:45 PM westfried
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 0
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.