Iron Pig Festival
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4 a.m. to make the 2 1/2 hour drive to Fayetteville. After packet pick up, put bike in transition with one bottle filled with RedBull and water. Drank 1 1/2 scoops of GenUcan 30 min. prior to race start.
Event warmup:

Dynamic leg warm up exercises with about a half mile run to warm up. Cool morning (upper 40's), wore arm warmers and gloves with race kit.
Run
  • 20m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Started about 3rd row back. After race start I settled into the rear of the lead pack. I felt it was a little faster than what I had planned, but I felt OK with the pace.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure given the final result, but I would like to see how my overall time might have changed had I taken it easier on the first run.
Transition 1
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Terrible T1. I didn't take into account that I'd be running with gloves. I couldn't feel my helmet buckle in order to connect it properly. Cost me some time.

Practice putting on helmet with gloves, or not wear gloves.
Bike
  • 52m 58s
  • 18 miles
  • 20.39 mile/hr
Comments:

I could tell immediately I took the first run a little too quick. Legs were heavy on the bike. I knew my bike leg would be weak. Went 12 days without any cycling due to taking a vacation just prior to race. I did get in a couple of trainer rides race week though. Did start getting cramp in right calf on the inbound leg. Hoped it would work itself out prior to run #2. Was able to stretch it out a little while on the bike.

Not take a long vacation without any way of cycling prior to race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Much better T2, Felt smooth.

Nada
Run
  • 21m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Still was having mild cramping issues on the right calf coming out of T2. I could feel it trying to bind up, but I knew the jarring/vibration of running on the pavement would kind of help it. Went away after the first half mile. I was able to settle into a pretty good rhythm. Cardio felt great. I passed a guy in my age group at mile 1 that had passed me on the bike. I knew at the turn around I had it in the bag and picked up the pace a little to try to stay ahead of a fellow team mate (female), but she ended up passing me on the last mile. She's fast! But she did push me to run faster and try to keep up.

I don't think anything. I felt really pretty good coming out of T2 (except for the calf thing), and I felt confident that I could catch and pass my fellow age grouper.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finishing area for a bit before walking back up the run course to cheer for my wife.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two things: 1. I think I went out too fast on run #1.
2. Limited cycling 2 weeks prior to race.

Event comments:

Excellent early season race. It is very organized and run very well. A ton of giveaways. Gels, bars, beer, food, etc. However, I must say that the airport personnel (the race takes place at an airport), are rude and you get the feeling very bluntly that they don't want us there. It definitely takes away from a great race venue.

Last updated: 2014-03-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:32 | 03.1 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and fast out and back. Well marked with mile markers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:51
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:52:58 | 18 miles | 20.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back with winds beginning to pick up. Mostly tailwind on the out leg with crosswinds.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:34 | 03.1 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Performance: Good
Course: Same route as run #1
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-03-24 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Subject: Iron Pig Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Pig Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Iron Pig Duathlon

Started by geomac1
Views: 670 Posts: 1

2013-04-01 4:00 PM geomac1

Iron Pig Duathlon

Started by mroger82
Views: 1001 Posts: 1

2013-04-01 1:39 PM mroger82

Iron Pig Duathlon

Started by nicklittle
Views: 801 Posts: 1

2010-08-04 12:32 PM nicklittle

RYKA Iron Girl Bloomington Women's Duathlon

Started by BikerGrrrl
Views: 1758 Posts: 5

2006-09-25 10:10 PM crea0029

RYKA Iron Girl Bloomington Women's Duathlon

Started by autumn
Views: 2712 Posts: 22

2006-09-30 6:12 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 20, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 0
This is part three of a five part series on how to train for an Iron distance race. In this article I would like to try to offer up some information about how to get through the bike unscathed.

date : March 12, 2014
author : AMSSM
I strained by lower back last week. I know that I need to rest in order for it to heal fully, but I am concerned that I am going to lose needed fitness for the race. Will this affect my performance?
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.