Other Resources The Political Joe » Hobby Lobby claiming religious freedom and the ACA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-03-27 2:26 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Hobby Lobby claiming religious freedom and the ACA

Originally posted by Hook'em

My problem is with having a general rule that government may require us to act as it dictates and liberty, religious in this case, is at best an exception to that rule.

As an individual, I no longer have the freedom to contract for my own health coverage.  The coverage in my policy is dictated by the Federal government and if I want a policy that does not qualify under the ACA, then I have to pay a penalty.  If my objection is because of my religious view, I will in essence pay a religious liberty tax.   

i think possibly an individual having a religious exemption makes sense.

but i think it is dangerous territory to allow an employer/provider to have religious exemptions.  there are religions that don't believe in ANY medical intervention at all.  

2014-03-27 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

My problem is with having a general rule that government may require us to act as it dictates and liberty, religious in this case, is at best an exception to that rule.

As an individual, I no longer have the freedom to contract for my own health coverage.  The coverage in my policy is dictated by the Federal government and if I want a policy that does not qualify under the ACA, then I have to pay a penalty.  If my objection is because of my religious view, I will in essence pay a religious liberty tax.   

No religion says you don't have to pay into health insurance. No one is making YOU take birth control.

2014-03-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by dmiller5

No religion says you don't have to pay into health insurance. No one is making YOU take birth control.

No religion says that, but ACA says he must carry a plan that meets certain requirements even if he doesn't agree with them, or be fined.

2014-03-27 2:30 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

So take religion out of it all together.  I shouldn't have to pay a tax to exercise my own liberty to (or to not) enter into a contract

2014-03-27 2:31 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by mehaner

No religion says that, but ACA says he must carry a plan that meets certain requirements even if he doesn't agree with them, or be fined.

Yes, and my taxes go to farm subsidies that pay for the growing of GMO corn which I am vehemently against. I don't get an exemption from my taxes towards the farm subsidies because of that, why should he get exempted from the healthcare.

2014-03-27 2:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

So take religion out of it all together.  I shouldn't have to pay a tax to exercise my own liberty to (or to not) enter into a contract

Why are you stuck on this healthcare thing then? Why aren't you trying to take down housing contracts or bank loans. The banks are being forced to make you pay mortgage insurance at certain rates.

2014-03-27 2:33 PM

User image

Elite

like LB said - maybe men should stick out of it.  hormonal birth control is prescribed for MANY MANY reasons besides "sluttiness" which is insulting to every woman out there that has ever taken a pill.

Then by all means take care of it. Get together and start a fund.  

I have zero problems with contraceptives or hormonal therapy. I have zero problems with it being a medical issue, or a responsibility issue, or it being covered under plans. ZERO. All I'm curious of is why is that it is the only thing mandated at NO COST? I mean seriously.... antibiotics for children, pediatric care, emergency surgeries... why is it that out of all things health care... that has to be mandated at ZERO cost? Male contraceptives are not included. Why? 

2014-03-27 2:35 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by powerman

like LB said - maybe men should stick out of it.  hormonal birth control is prescribed for MANY MANY reasons besides "sluttiness" which is insulting to every woman out there that has ever taken a pill.

I have zero problems with contraceptives or hormonal therapy. I have zero problems with it being a medical issue, or a responsibility issue, or it being covered under plans. ZERO. All I'm curious of is why is that it is the only thing mandated at NO COST? I mean seriously.... antibiotics for children, pediatric care, emergency surgeries... why is it that out of all things health care... that has to be mandated at ZERO cost? Male contraceptives are not included. Why? 

LOTS of things are mandated at no cost to the consumer under ACA - particularly if they are preventative things.

https://www.healthcare.gov/what-are-my-preventive-care-benefits/

2014-03-27 2:37 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by velocomp

This is where the ACA is a joke and doesn't work.  

1.  If the government wants everyone to have healthcare, then they should provide healthcare to all (via taxes, single payer system).

2.  If the government wants private companies to provide healthcare, then they can not mandate what the private company should cover.

3.  If a person works for a company that doesn't cover something that you fundamentally feel should be covered, then either you can 1.  Suck it up. 2. Get a different job or 3.  Go get your own insurance coverage for that thing.

Just my opinion...

not everyone can afford options 2 or 3

And why is that my responsibility. I can't afford a lot of the stuff I want.

because as a nation we have decided that we value taking care of the sick more than we value the rich having more money, or so I had thought until recently.

Oh so now contraceptives are for "sick" people. Ya, OK. 

And we never decided as a country to take care of sick people. doctors did. We decided to take care of elderly and disabled so far... well, and indigent too. But nobody decided that "we" were going to take care of sick people. 

And when I get sick, I take care of myself. you have not done a single thing for me. If you would like to take care of my max out of pocket last year, I will be happy to give you an address you can send the check to. 

if you make claims against your health insurance, dmiller having health insurance IS doing something for you.  he spreads the risk and cash flow around, as does everyone else.

as for your comments about hormonal BC being for sick people - until you have had fibroids or dysmenorrhea - you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

And you are not getting it. This has NOTHING to do with medical use of hormones. 

2014-03-27 2:37 PM

User image

Pro

Because we hate them?

2014-03-27 2:38 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

Because we hate them?

hear hear

2014-03-27 2:39 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by switch

Nah, that insinuates that "sluttiness" is a bad thing, which still allows men to put a judgement on it. I don't even want to give them that  

"sluttiness" should be celebrated by men. I never understood why men would ever "slutshame".
2014-03-27 2:40 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by chirunner134
Originally posted by switch Nah, that insinuates that "sluttiness" is a bad thing, which still allows men to put a judgement on it. I don't even want to give them that  
"sluttiness" should be celebrated by men. I never understood why men would ever "slutshame".

because women are only sluts if they won't sleep with you.

2014-03-27 2:47 PM

User image

Elite

LOTS of things are mandated at no cost to the consumer under ACA - particularly if they are preventative things.

Thanks, I have been looking, but have not been able to find a list. And those would seem reasonable. All screenings, and immunizations.... oh ya, and contraceptives.... oh ya, and any contraceptives... not just hormonal therapy to to help medical issues. I find that odd. If there is more stuff on the list, I would be interested to see one. 

I'm sure this is only getting all the press. But this in particular breaches social issues... of which I have zero problems... but to tuck this into health care law... it's suspect for other reasons besides health.... unless they can show they take the same stance on all the other "health issues" that are important to everyone not just women and contraception. 

2014-03-27 2:48 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by chirunner134
Originally posted by switch Nah, that insinuates that "sluttiness" is a bad thing, which still allows men to put a judgement on it. I don't even want to give them that :

because women are only sluts if they won't sleep with you.

Dave, you are filled with so much awesome in this thread!  Love it all, especially sluts and anti-GMOs. 

2014-03-27 2:49 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by Left Brain

Because we hate them?

hear hear

You too, LB. Crying laughing. 

2014-03-27 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Thanks, I have been looking, but have not been able to find a list. And those would seem reasonable. All screenings, and immunizations.... oh ya, and contraceptives.... oh ya, and any contraceptives... not just hormonal therapy to to help medical issues. I find that odd. If there is more stuff on the list, I would be interested to see one. 

I'm sure this is only getting all the press. But this in particular breaches social issues... of which I have zero problems... but to tuck this into health care law... it's suspect for other reasons besides health.... unless they can show they take the same stance on all the other "health issues" that are important to everyone not just women and contraception. 

insurance is all about assigning a $-value to risk, and someone much smarter than you or i did the math and decided that birth control is cheaper than pregnancy, birth, and unwanted children burdening an already loaded system.  there are no values taken into consideration, it is truly a massive math game.

2014-03-27 3:07 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

insurance is all about assigning a $-value to risk, and someone much smarter than you or i did the math and decided that birth control is cheaper than pregnancy, birth, and unwanted children burdening an already loaded system.  there are no values taken into consideration, it is truly a massive math game.

Quick little search shows that the average US prenatal visits and hospital delivery stay total $8800 on average--that's just to get baby and mom out of the hospital.  If a woman needs 30 years of birth control at $15/month or $180/year, that's $5400 for all of her childbearing years. 

I'm not an actuary, but it doesn't seem like it takes a ton of math to figure out that contraception is always going to be cheaper.

2014-03-27 3:14 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Elite
Boise

Quick little search shows that the average US prenatal visits and hospital delivery stay total $8800 on average--that's just to get baby and mom out of the hospital.  If a woman needs 30 years of birth control at $15/month or $180/year, that's $5400 for all of her childbearing years. 

I'm not an actuary, but it doesn't seem like it takes a ton of math to figure out that contraception is always going to be cheaper.

Ours was a lot more than $8800. That's why I'm getting snipped in a few weeks. That should be free under the ACA too right?
2014-03-27 3:25 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by JoshR

Ours was a lot more than $8800. That's why I'm getting snipped in a few weeks. That should be free under the ACA too right?

The only snipping we cover in that region is circumcision. because god said so.

2014-03-27 3:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Those are co-pay amounts, not the actual cost of contraceptives. 

Just think how cheap healthcare would be if we sterilized everyone. 

It is a poor argument. If people want babies, they want babies. You are telling me that those that are on contraception never will have kids... no, they are going to be on contraceptives for 30 years, and have a couple babies in between. 

And you can do a risk assessment of unwanted kids, and the burdens unwanted pregnancies place on society... but you are completely ignoring the benefits of productive people entering the work force to pay for them and the productivity they provide.... not to mention not every unwanted pregnancy grows up to be a train wreck and a burden. Not by a long shot. You have to look at all of it, not just the parts that make a particular point. 

Edited by powerman 2014-03-27 3:26 PM

2014-03-27 3:38 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Those are co-pay amounts, not the actual cost of contraceptives. 

Just think how cheap healthcare would be if we sterilized everyone. 

It is a poor argument. If people want babies, they want babies. You are telling me that those that are on contraception never will have kids... no, they are going to be on contraceptives for 30 years, and have a couple babies in between. 

And you can do a risk assessment of unwanted kids, and the burdens unwanted pregnancies place on society... but you are completely ignoring the benefits of productive people entering the work force to pay for them and the productivity they provide.... not to mention not every unwanted pregnancy grows up to be a train wreck and a burden. Not by a long shot. You have to look at all of it, not just the parts that make a particular point. 

The back of the envelope calculation was simplified to show that just the pregnancy and delivery are more expensive than BC for a long period of time.  I don't care what the co-pay is, BC is CHEAP by drug standards.  It costs those companies virtually nothing. 

Of course not every woman is going to stay on birth control for 30 years, but making it free and easily available is one of MANY steps to decrease unwanted pregnancy.

There is no way to look at all of it--just because somebody is a "burden" to society that doesn't make their life any more or less valuable.  We should, however, make BC free and available to every woman who wants it as HER life and HER choices are impacted by unwanted pregnancy.  I don't understand what we have to lose in that equation, and it is absolutely cheaper than not doing it. 

2014-03-27 3:40 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

All three of mine were too.  My most expensive one was over $30K (10 days in the NICU). 

If I had any control of the ACA, vasectomies would be covered.  Good call, btw :)

2014-03-27 3:44 PM

User image

Elite

That's just crazy talk.

2014-03-27 3:44 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

The only snipping we cover in that region is circumcision. because god said so.

I can attest to the fact that it is also not covered.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Hobby Lobby claiming religious freedom and the ACA Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

ACA Calculator Pages: 1 2

Started by dmiller5
Views: 3149 Posts: 27

2013-12-05 5:28 PM Stuartap

The ACA has revealed ignorance about...

Started by pga_mike
Views: 2387 Posts: 23

2013-10-09 9:17 AM Jackemy1

The ACA started with "Conservatives"?

Started by pga_mike