SUPERFROG
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 59s
Overall Rank = 108/344
Age Group = FMIL
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Race day started with a nice little ride from my parked car to transition. I arrived at 6:30, because transition was closing at 7, but I wasn’t racing until 9. I got there just in time to see them closing the parking lot and directing us somewhere else. Oh well.

They kept transition open later for the Olympic Distance athletes – the Sprint started at 7, and the Olympic at 8 – which was a nice surprise. It was a pretty relaxing morning, though I was getting anxious to go race!

Around 7:30, I changed into my tri kit. Around 8, I grabbed my wetsuit and headed through the tunnel to the start.
Event warmup:

I finally got suited up and in the water around 8:40 (a quick swim with some sprints), and warmed up at little. I chatted with another girl in the military division. I even found a girl with no wetsuit ready to brave the 64 degree water! She said she was afraid she’d overheat, so I pegged her as a hardcore swimmer, because who else follows that logic?
Swim
  • 22m 22s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

At 9, we were off! The bay was calm, the course had TONS of marker buoys, and the water temp was perfect in a wetsuit. My wave was military men and women, clydsdales, athenas and relays. I took off with the front pack, but by the first buoy realzed that this was NOT their initial surge, and that I probably shouldn't swim THAT fast for the full 1500m. I looked to my side and saw non-wetsuit girl. I spent the rest of the swim hanging on to her feet. It seemed like every time I sighted, we were at the next buoy. I was super pumped about how quickly the swim was going by, and that I found feet moving at the right pace.
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I got out of the water, and realized I never put my HR monitor on, which was critical to run pacing! Luckily, I knew exactly where it was, and my bag was against the transition fence. HR monitor on, shoes on, helmet on, and off I went!
What would you do differently?:

Remember everything ahead of time
Bike
  • 1h 15m 49s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.66 km/hr
Comments:

I more-or-less hit my numbers well. On the first loop, I passed a guy in nothing but a speedo on a hybrid. He decided to draft me because he said he liked my pace, and actually kept up with me for a solid 3 miles. He honked his bike horn and cheered the whole time. It was awesome. I was in good spirits, and I felt like a caged animal. I wanted to ride faster, but I stuck to the plan because, you know, I still had a 10k to run.

As I started the last ¼ of the bike course, I finished my water. I usually don’t do that. I had a 24oz bottle! It was warm. They had an aid station at the last turn around where I tossed my bottle and grabbed a new one. Hadn’t planned on it, but luckily I have a stash of PowerBar water bottles, so I’m sure I won’t miss the one I tossed!

Racing with a power meter really, really helped me stay “in the moment”. Speed wasn’t on my main screen. I just had certain #’s to hit, and I hit them. So simple. Not thinking about pace, effort level (am I going to fast? too slow?), or time… awesome.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Into transition I ran to the wrong rack, looked around, and then found mine – my bright orange lining of my Blueseventy wetsuit was like a beacon of hope to a confused triathlete. After that mishap, this went smoothly, and I took the time to put on socks. Still a little worried about my shin, I ran in regular shoes, not my fancy-pants tri racing shoes.
Run
  • 52m 40s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 16s  min/km
Comments:

The plan was to do the first 5k at the high end of my tempo run HR, and then take off for the last 5k. Well, my HR never really got low enough. I toughed it out (DANG it felt like AZ weather, not beautiful SoCal weather!) and at mile 3, after dumping water on myself, I went for it… and I didn’t seem to get much faster. I had a really stressful week and just didn’t have the mental fortitude to push the last two miles. I still finished right around my standalone 10k PR – which speaks volumes about my improvement on the run, but I can’t shake the disappointment in letting myself slow down.

I had no idea where I was for my total time when I crossed that line. I saw 3:33 and hoped beyond hope that our wave had taken off exactly an hour after the first wave – and it HAD!
What would you do differently?:

Mental toughness needs to be built up. I let life interfere with my racing.
Post race

Last updated: 2014-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:22 | 1500 meters | 01m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 0/344
Performance: Good
Suit: Blueseventy Reaction
Course: Sort of P-shaped
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:49 | 40 kms | 31.66 km/hr
Age Group: 4/5
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: The course is two “loops” which are really out and backs with transition right smack in the middle. We divided it up into 4 sections, and had target power numbers for each. This is a fantastic course – fast, flat, smooth, and naturally broken down into pretty even sections!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:40 | 10 kms | 05m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 3/5
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat out-and-back, on sand in the first 1.5 miles
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-04-01 10:22 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: SuperSeal Triathlon

2014-04-01 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4974762

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: SuperSeal Triathlon

Great race! Geeze, especially for it being early in the season.

So, it sounds like you didn't really need that HRM anyhoo, eh?

What's next?

2014-04-02 6:46 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

You planned the race and then raced the plan - perfect!

Smartly executed and well done.  

Sounds to me like you hit the run right on.  Close to your open PR?  That rocks!  As for having to push the second half and not going faster, that happens to me in most of my tri's (at least the ones where my overall time is something I liked).  Sounds more like you emptied the tank at the perfect rate over the race that you had to push to hold your speed, which you did!

Congrats on a great race!

Matt

2014-04-02 3:09 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Well done Elaine, kickass swim time especially!
2014-04-03 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4974762

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Great job - you kicked butt out there!!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SuperSeal Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

SuperSeal Triathlon