Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 kms
  •  min/km
Post race
Event comments:

I don´t know if it was the mild hypothermia, the knee injury and inconcistent training, the rain or the wind but Ironman Germany was the hardest thing I have ever done and I have never hurt like that before. My time was 12:42 my slowest Ironman by about 20 minutes and over an hour slower than my personal best. The swim kicked my butt. The water was so cold that my goggles kept fogging up and I had to give in and take them off to keep from drowning. On the bike start they said it was 8 degrees with the wind chill. I started fast on the bike because we had a strong tail wind and I knew it would be hard going the other way. Then with the cold and going fast and climbing my hamstrings started to seize after about half an hour and I needed to slow down and just spin really slowly after every climb and had to stop and get off the bike twice. Then it started pouring rain and I got even colder. I didn´t even want to start the run. I was completely bagged. At one point on the bike I saw the clock on my bike computer and it said 5 am. I thought that it feels like 5 am and I have been up all night partying.
I got going decently on the run for a little but I felt really bad and cold so I ate a lot and then I started to have stomach problems added to my leggs seizing up every few km. So then I just decided to take it easy and talk to people and have a good time. Despite the suffering I did manage to enjoy the race but can´t help but be a little disappointed.
my results and times are here.
http://liveupdate.ironmanlive.com/ppv/athlete.php?rid=34&bib=369

Last updated: 2004-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 00 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 00 kms |  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2004-07-12 4:28 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
Subject: Ironman Germany

2004-07-12 8:21 AM
in reply to: #36784

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
Subject: RE: Ironman Germany

I am proud of you for finishing in those awful conditions!   I imagine there were many DNFs. You are one tough athlete.  I am sure you have learned a lot about pushing yourself that you can teach all of us here. 

Jen

2004-08-22 10:57 AM
in reply to: #36784

User image

Veteran
Florida!
Subject: RE: Ironman Germany
am just finding this now for some reason... i was also there, my husband did the race, i spectated. definitely a cool, dreary day - we had a frantic last-minute search for arm-warmers for a little additional warmth on the bike ... but you finished, in spite of the conditions.

my husband didn't have such a hard time with the cold - he did a few of his long rides in the rain and i think he'd gotten accustomed to dealing with adverse conditions, though getting a drafting penalty on the bike didn't help. he had some severe stomach cramping on the run, too, which really prevented him from his goal.

anyway, congrats, and it's a shame i didn't realize that someone from these boards was going to be there... did you stay at the intercontinental?

Edited by debs 2004-08-22 10:58 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Germany Rss Feed