General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Dallas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-04-04 8:42 PM

Subject: Moving to Dallas
Hi (Howdy?) folks! My husband, daughter (3.5) and I will be moving to the Dallas area within the next few months and I'm looking for any and all suggestions re: everything tri related. Best tri clubs, bike shops, YMCA's, even suggestions about neighborhoods and preschools. I know this is a VERY broad post, but we're relocating from CT and I am quite unfamiliar with the area aside form what we saw on a brief visit. My husband will be working in downtown Dallas, and we're going to be looking at homes in the North Dallas/Plano/Richardson areas as well as in Dallas near White Rock Lake. Thank you for any help you can provide!

2014-04-07 3:14 PM
in reply to: oneskineejosie

User image

Subject: RE: Moving to Dallas
There are a ton of options in all the listed areas. Playtri has stores in Dallas and Mckinney, Tri Shop is in Plano, Dallas Bike Works is by the lake and RBM (Richardson Bike Mart) has a couple of stores. The DFW Tri Club, http://www.dfwtriclub.com/,has workouts all over the metroplex and is a really good group (Most swims at LA Fitness and you get a discounted gym membership with the club). Playtri (playtri.com) also offers training groups at both locations. It's really hard to go wrong with either (I am a part of DFW Tri Club - there calendar shows all their workouts if youre curious).

Happy to help!
2014-04-13 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4976925

Thanks for the info! I hoping to join a club as soon as we move so I can meet some new people in Dallas. It seems like there are lots of clubs and races down there! Question: where do you ride around there? Anywhere other than White Rock Lake?
2014-04-14 7:50 AM

New user
I live up in Plano and like the area. Public schools are something to consider if you decide to move near White Rock Lake. Dallas public schools are horrible and even parts of Richardson are questionable at best once you hit middle school. Check out schooldigger.com unless that is of no concern to you. Plano, Frisco, Allen, McKinney are all top notch, but it leaves you with a less than desirable commute if you work in or near downtown. If you can private school, the homes around the lake are fantastic; lots of charm/character and a great community. If you live north, it is not far to get out of the city and ride on more rural roads, which are pretty empty Saturday mornings. RBM's rides are north and east of the city. City riding isn't much fun, especially with stop lights.
2014-04-14 9:37 AM

User image

I have found riding up north to be much better than riding around White Rock. Once the weather gets nice it's just too crowded and I have had issues with people making potentially dangerous and definitely stupid decisions when riding around there. Riding around Lake Grapevine is really good. Normally riding anywhere around West Plano, Frisco, Mckinney, Allen, Richardson is not too shabby. I have a few loops ranging anywhere from 35 to 60 miles that I can ride on the weekends without much worry. RBM and Trishop have there morning rides if you prefer group rides.
2014-04-14 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4981014

Thanks again! I'm glad to hear that once you get out of the city and head north that there's some good places to ride. The thought of being stuck only doing loops of the lake was frightening! Schools are a big concern, so I have been working with a realtor with that and the commute as two of our big priorities. I did notice that most Dallas schools with the exception of a couple of elementary schools in Lakewood were pretty awful. My husband is already down there, and started his new job, and kiddo and I are headed down for a long weekend on Wed. I have a bunch of houses to look at and hopefully we'll get one under contract before I head back to CT. Thanks again for your help, folks. It's tough organizing this and trying to figure these things out from so far away!

2014-04-22 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Some other tri clubs and bike clubs not mentioned: 

• Tri club: Triple Threat Tough
  • Bike clubs: Greater Dallas Bicyclists and Plano Bicycle Association 

If you ride with a group it can be better than riding alone, on city streets. 

Good luck! 

2014-04-22 3:57 PM

User image

Regular
If you end up living in one of the northern burbs (Allen, McKinney, Frisco, Fairview, or even north Plano) check out North Texas Multisport (NTM). Big club, friendly people, lots of training and social activities.
2014-04-22 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4981315

Thanks again, all. I've been down here house hunting almost a week and it looks like we're going to end up in west Plano. I'm glad to see that there's such a big tri community down here!
2014-04-24 3:06 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by oneskineejosie Thanks again, all. I've been down here house hunting almost a week and it looks like we're going to end up in west Plano. I'm glad to see that there's such a big tri community down here!

Welcome to Texas! I live in far West Plano myself. 

Absolutely check out Texas Triple Though, Tri Shop (group rides, etc.), Play Tri (has a huge store in McKinney), and the Plano Bicycle Association. 

2014-04-27 6:49 PM
in reply to: KSH

Thanks again everyone! We just signed a contract on a house in West Plano, and I can't wait to get down there! I usually do a lot of training solo since I'm a SAHM and have odd hours, but I definitely want to get in with some groups so I can meet new people. I'm looking into the Plano Wetcats for swim training. Anyone a member? The cost for a rec center membership really can't be beat, it seems. If only they had childcare...

2014-04-28 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by oneskineejosie Thanks again everyone! We just signed a contract on a house in West Plano, and I can't wait to get down there! I usually do a lot of training solo since I'm a SAHM and have odd hours, but I definitely want to get in with some groups so I can meet new people. I'm looking into the Plano Wetcats for swim training. Anyone a member? The cost for a rec center membership really can't be beat, it seems. If only they had childcare...

If it is the rec center off Parker, it is a very nice facility. Although I found it near impossible to swim laps in the evening (labeled "fast lane" with people breast stroking slowly, etc.). If I went back there to swim I'd sign up for the Plano Wetcats just to ensure I'd have a lane to swim in. 

Check into Lifetime Fitness off Ohio (pretty sure that's it). It's an amazing facility, and I'm pretty sure they offer childcare. That or check into 24 Hour Fitness. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Dallas Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Moving to Plano/Dallas

Started by bananatoes
Views: 1238 Posts: 8

2012-05-22 7:44 PM timf79

Dallas Athletes/ Dallas Sports University - Customer Service Problems

Started by OldAg92
Views: 1008 Posts: 8

2008-04-21 2:47 PM Jazon71

Potential move from Austin to Dallas.... :(

Started by MommyBelly
Views: 1086 Posts: 19

2007-07-14 10:37 PM mom23

Intown Dallas Baylot Tom Landry Fitness Center

Started by sebjamesm
Views: 858 Posts: 5

2006-02-19 2:01 PM sebjamesm

Looking for an Evolution running coach in Dallas

Started by kme
Views: 780 Posts: 1

2006-01-13 1:44 PM kme
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.