General Discussion Race Reports! » Belwood Lake Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Belwood Lake Triathlon - Short Course - TriathlonShort Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fergus, Ontario
Canada
Subaru Triathlon Series
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 54m 36s
Overall Rank = 128/348
Age Group = M19-
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

Saturday: I slept in till late morning as per usual. In my defence I am a teenager on vactation! BAH! anywho at about 2:30 I got to the race site. No, not to race, to volunteer! Yes I volunteered for the try-a-tri. To start I was handing out the t-shirts. This is when I met TimmyMay. From here I help pack up the registration (taking care not to injure myself) and went the the finish line to wait for further instructions. This is when Jon (Jonow6) snuck up behind me. We chewed the fat a bit before I became part of the backup timing system (pencil and paper). Did I mention a job offer from the RD? That night I watched the encor presentation of the ITU Edmonton race and made pasta. Lots so I didn't finish it until monday night. Then I packed for tomorrowand went to bed around 11:30.

Sunday morning: Set the alarm for 6:15am but Marty (my cat) woke me up before then. Wanted to be fed. So I had a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats and loaded up the car. Left at about 7:05. Got to the race site somewhere between 7:10 and 7:15. Droped of my bag and bike, and guess what? I got a good spot on the rack, right on the end :). Then went to register. Race # lucky 13!! Oh yeah! Not only in the doulbe digits but also in the teens! then I set-up my transition spot and pumped tires. One Gu 45mins to start. Headed to the picnic area to don my wetsuit. one GU 15mins to start.
Event warmup:

Much of my warm-up was rushing aroung trying to get ready. It took me 20mins to get my freaking wetsuit on! That chewed up a lot of my warm-up time. I was only able to get about 100m of swimming in before I had to line up. Then my goggles leaked! I tightened them up a tad and no more problems.
Swim
  • 20m 2s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 EEEEERRRRRR!!!! I waited a about 10 seconds before starting off, and I was at the back. I swam the way I didin Milton for the first 100m just so that I could see what was going on. Then I settled into a face-in-the-water freestyle. You know, like the kind I do in the pool? It was awesome. But I knew if the lake got darker I'd be in trouble, like last year. No so, the whole end of the lake was a uniform "gross-green" and I tolerated. :) No panic attack. One of three goals complete for the day. Later on when I looked at my time I realized how well I swam. I expected 25mins based off my Milton time, worse-case 30mins. but 20mins?! Best possible case scenerio. Made my day.
What would you do differently?:

I think I should have gone with the pack instead of waiting a few seconds and the swimming over people. I really underestimated my ablities.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Got out of the water, goggles up and peeled of my upper suit. Appearently I got cut in the water as my cheering section said post-race that I was bleeding on my right foot. Never even noticed. Wetsuit did get stuck on my heels for about 20secs. Did jump on my bike correctly and did not do what I did in Milton (thank god).

Not get cut. Not get stuck. HA!
Bike
  • 58m 14s
  • 33 kms
  • 34.00 km/hr
Comments:

OMG I hammered on the bike! Took it relativly easy the first 5k then opened up. Started passing people. Sipped gatorade and water and at 20mins in took a gu (well 22mins as I was on a hill at 20). I used the hills to pass at the beginning and to reel in after wards just before the 20k mark I passed the motorcycle offical going the other way. Hold on, I reckognise him! Its Freeway (Richard) one of my dads riding buddies! about 30 sec later he pulls up beside me and takes a picture (which I'm still waiting on BTW). I started to feel it on the false flat near the end. But I pressed on anyway. Then I saw the Conservation Area.

Not have to pee. I really had to pee for most of the ride. Maybe go a tad easier on those last hills to save for the run....Nah.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

T2 started off really good. Until that is, my insole slid forward. DAMN! pulled it back and continued on. slipped on visor and was gone.

Fix my shoe?
Run
  • 33m 48s
  • 7 kms
  • 04m 50s  min/km
Comments:

Was dead. At the turn around I had a chest pain, but thankfully that passed quickly. Truth be told, I felt slow. Godawful slow. But results say not a slow as I thought. As I crossed the finish line I was passed by someone. Messed up my picture. Not only that the timing system picked up him first. Same AG and same hometown. Go figure.

Run lots.
Post race
Warm down:

Almost collape, water, cold shower by the hose. Appearently I looked really, really pale. Got my foot patched up and took my stuff to the picnic area where I curled up into an upright fetal position until awards were over. I felt like I was going to be sick till 6:30 that night.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running, but I'll fix that.

Event comments:

I'd do it again. This race marked my one year of tri's.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:02 | 1000 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 147/348
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Speedsuit
Course: Horseshoe
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:14 | 33 kms | 34.00 km/hr
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 104/348
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Four turn loop. Rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:48 | 07 kms | 04m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 174/348
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. Like a number seven.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-08 11:32 PM

Master
Subject: Belwood Lake Triathlon - Short Course

2006-08-09 7:01 AM
in reply to: #506197

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Belwood Lake Triathlon - Short Course

Wow!  gReat race.  And a huge congrats on the swimming!  I remember how much that worried you before.  You did it!  You overcame.  Hopefully you can build on this and be confident in ANY water, under any conditions.  Congrats again.

2006-08-09 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Great job!!  The distances of this race are pretty intimidating to me, but you just ate 'em up.  Very impressive.   Take some time and think about how much you have accomplished this past year. New bike, new wet suit, fearless OWS!  Lots to be proud of.  Whats next GLII? 
2006-08-09 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Nice race results! You have to be happy with that.

Geoff
2006-08-10 4:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrie, Ontario
Great race man! Good time on the run, looks like your improving all over, including the dreaded swim Wink
2006-08-10 9:32 PM
in reply to: #506409

Master

geoffs - 2006-08-09 9:48 AM Nice race results! You have to be happy with that. Geoff

Awww man... Do I really have to? Wink

Thanks guys. Next on the plate is GLII, the sprint.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belwood Lake Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed