Tempe, Arizona
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 30m 16s
Overall Rank = 678/23298
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 185/
Pre-race routine:

Pat’s Run, the race honoring Pat Tillman, was April 26th in Tempe, Az. This was the 10th year, and like always, they had a huge turnout! I woke up about 5 and grabbed some coffee as I headed towards downtown Tempe. Walking to the start area you are in a sea of the yellow race shirts! I found my start corral pretty easily and met up with some friends in the next corral behind me. It was great to have some people to joke around with while we waited to start.
The national anthem, played by a trumpet, really got the attention of the crowd. Considering we’re honoring someone who gave his life for our freedoms it is a pretty solemn moment. After that the race got going pretty quickly.
Run
  • 30m 16s
  • 4.2 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I was in corral 2, so I didn’t have to wait too long to start running. It was very crowded and bunched up in the first 1/2 mile, it loosened up quite a bit after the first little hill. There were a few turns that it got bunched back up, but not too bad. I feel like I ran a relativity consistent pace, pretty much cranked out mid to low 7 min miles. I need to work on my speed a little more to sustain this pace, but didn’t really have to start fighting to stay at pace until the last mile. Once you make the turn back onto the ASU campus you’re almost done. After that the course goes past that start/expo area and into the final stretch, you get to run past all the cheering spectators, gives you a good kick to the finish. One of the coolest parts of the race is running down the tunnel, out onto the Sun Devil football field and finishing on the 42 yard line! Found a nice place in the south endzone to sit and chill for a bit. the grass was soooo nice!
Post race
Warm down:

After the finish I met up with my friend Bill and we cruised over to Rula Bula Irish Pub for a beer or two. The people I had been hanging out with in the corral had scored a patio table and we found a nice seat with them. It was pretty funny to see that bar totally packed by 9am! We had blast laughing it up with these guys, and then, when the Emerald Society Bagpipe band showed up a friend of my had them right over by our table and got to play the drum!

A good time was had by all, and there was much rejoicing!

Event comments:

Always a cool experience!

Last updated: 2014-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:16 | 04.2 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/23298
Performance: Average
Course: Loop around Tempe finishing in Sun Devil Stadium
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-04-28 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Pat's Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat's Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pat's Run

Started by sistinas
Views: 1690 Posts: 3

2007-04-08 9:48 PM sistinas

Pat's Run

Started by chile7473
Views: 1673 Posts: 5

2007-04-08 9:54 PM lobo

Pat's Run

Started by triguyfitz
Views: 1244 Posts: 1

2007-04-07 12:48 PM triguyfitz

Pat's Run

Started by travesty
Views: 1586 Posts: 1

2006-04-20 1:15 PM travesty

Pat's Run

Started by chile7473
Views: 2114 Posts: 3

2006-04-16 1:35 AM chile7473
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.

date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries
date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation