General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Man where to start ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-01 3:00 PM

User image

Subject: Man where to start ...
Hello!

So I'm kind of digging deep here. I'm about the most motivated person I know.

I want to be an Ironman.

I'm going to school full-time for my masters, I'm an accountant, I'm also co-studying on my CPA reviews, I recently (2.5 years ago) moved home after spending five years in the United States Navy. I was stationed in Washington state where I developed a love for the outdoors and cycling and running and swimming, if we were in port and I was off work I was outside somewhere trying to set PR's.

Ohio ... Doesn't have the stunning back drop that I'm so used to cruising with with my Felt F4, and after doing a "covered bridge ride" where in 45 miles we rode across two covered bridges and mostly through flat cornfield surrounded asphalt on our 90 degree day. I almost gave up cycling, I'd learned to suffer through the mountains but I was never prepared for the level of boredom associated with a cornfield.

So I signed up here, a couple of years ago, and lurked around looking for motivation or coping techniques, I've bought a stationary bike and a treadmill for my house because being full-time and my study schedule doesn't allow for a lot of out side time, and our latest winter in Ohio was outright debilitating.

So that's me! Looking forward to meeting some strong minded people here!

As an aside my nutrition and everything is way out of whack, at racing weight in WA I was 165 lbs, I'm currently 220 lbs and I keep gaining weight ... I had no idea how much harder it is to do everything when you're heavier.

Edited by TRDacct 2014-05-01 3:01 PM

2014-05-02 7:46 PM
in reply to: TRDacct

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Man where to start ...

Fellow 'yes-it-was-(still is)-a-long-and-debilitating-winter' Ohioan here.  You will be out on the roads soon.  I can feel it...any day now.  .  The pounds will drop as the consistency improves with the warmer weather.

Is there a specific Ironman goal?  When and where?

Welcome!

2014-05-06 7:47 AM

User image

, Rheinland-Pfalz
Kind of at the other end of the spectrum from you, but wanted to chime in since the underlying requirement is internal motivation. If you want to get back in racing shape and enjoy competition (with yourself and others) no matter where you are, you will do it.
I am retiring from the military, but still just as limited on time. I have a full-time military job...which as you know, means more than 40 hours/week. I have two 8-yr-olds, and all the activities they participate in, I have to spend at least 12 hours each week on job searches and retirement prep, plus train for an Ironman 70.3 in June. I participated in a local Sprint event this past weekend. My first competitive event in 27 years. It really awakened the competitive spirit in me...rekindled the fire. I'm sure I will even reap benefits from it in my family and work lives as well. In the last 6 months of Tri training, I dropped 35 pounds.
Wish I could help you on the countryside you have to deal with. We'll see where I end up working after military retirement...still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. But currently, I'm stationed in Germany, so I have nothing but some of the world's best scenery at my fingertips. I live on the edge of the Kyll River in the Eifel (border of Luxembourg and Belgium), and often ride along the Mosel River which people travel to for cycling vacations from all over the world. However, I feel your pain since I graduated from Beavercreek, Ohio in 1988 and then went to school at Michigan State.
2014-05-06 2:19 PM
in reply to: J_Novak

User image

When I was stationed in Washington State I had the love for cycling, true love.

I thought I was going to carry it with me to Ohio and be able to help other people ... Just wasn't the case, it's so outright boring with no change in challenge. The challenge becomes not-quitting, and I strike up my own worst enemies.

I love to hear success stories and it always helps to remind me I'm not THAT busy.

I've got to start setting race goals and find events, and start small again.
2014-05-07 6:44 AM

User image

where in Ohio are you? There is a pretty good veteran's group (Team RWB) that is active and they are always doing rides/endurance running type stuff - there are several chapters there - totally worth it (or at least it was for me) and they might be able to hook you up with some non-boring training ideas
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Man where to start ... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Obese man starting this long journey!

Started by ebarton
Views: 863 Posts: 14

2006-05-09 11:20 AM CubeFarmGopher

just getting started

Started by souldigger
Views: 1149 Posts: 3

2003-10-22 8:53 AM Ron

Where do I start?!

Started by Laura
Views: 1303 Posts: 9

2003-10-25 7:08 AM dennis

Very excited to start

Started by Jenny
Views: 1355 Posts: 5

2003-09-29 9:37 AM STREM

Just starting

Started by STREM
Views: 1287 Posts: 4

2003-09-26 7:34 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 9, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 5
There are so many reasons I love this sport and extremely buff, handsome men disrobing next to me is one of them.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : May 30, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 5
All you have to do is say you’re a triathlete and you intimidate the whole world. No matter how much you bench press or what you lift or how many squats you can do.
date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.