General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tuckerton, New Jersey
United States
CityTri Racing
60F / 16C
Total Time = 5h 57m 8s
Overall Rank = 70/113
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00 am and out the door at 4:30 am. Coffee, Alleve, pretzel, powerbar and Perform on the ride to the race. Arrive at race around 6:30 and check-in and set-up. Still had plenty of time.
Event warmup:

Stretch and some water acclimation.
Swim
  • 49m 30s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was really bad for me. I started in the back of the pack to avoid contact since I am not a fast swimmer. This didn't work too well since I was catching slower half-tri swimmers. Eventually I was being passed by fast swimmers from the later starting events and passing slow swimmers from the later starting events. I was not really able to maintain a good swim tempo since I was in contact quite a bit. Anout 75% into the swim I got bumped and had to tread water for a moment and my hamstrings and calfs cramped up. The last 25% of the swim was painfully slow with my legs hanging down. I was hoping for a 40 min swim but obviously didn't come close.
What would you do differently?:

Need more experience swimming in big groups. Also, need to figure out source of the legs cramps. Hopefully it was just the cold water.
Transition 1
  • 06m 11s
Comments:

Guessing at the time here since it's not provided. Got slowed down by the leg cramps from the swim. Otherwise T1 would have been around 3 min (not fast but OK)..
Bike
  • 3h 03m 41s
  • 57.2 miles
  • 18.68 mile/hr
Comments:

No lingering leg issues. I kept to my target power range and felt good on the bike the whole time. Slowed up over the bumpy parts on laps 2 and 3. I did not take in a ton of fluids (maybe 40-45oz over the entire course) but I had to pee twice. Ate pretty good on the bike.

I need to get more speed out of my power and fine tune my hydration. I use a good road bike with aero bars. I need a real fit, and maybe a aero helmut and wheel cover before Princeton in Sept.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Again, a guestimate. T2 was fine.
Run
  • 1h 55m 26s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good off the bike. Had to try to run a little slower. Stopped to pee (again). Got sidetracked when I misread a sign and ran an additional 2/10 of a mile. Started to get heavy leags around mile 8 and my pace slowed. Finished strong though. Stopped for cup of water and cup of Heed in the last couple miles. Started to get hungry but no food needed.

Pay better attention to the route and grab a drink sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

Just some basic stretching. Grabbed a water and bagel w/cream cheese and jam. Tasted great since I was hungry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just a wrong turn. Maybe I should have eased up on the bike but I think I was pretty close to the right exertion level.

Event comments:

Overall it OK. Nice venue and the lake is very clean. Check-in was fine. Volunteers were generally good but not always attentive at intersections on open roads. Post race food (advertised as great) was sparce. Biggest real concern was lack of transition area management/security. My only other triathlons were Philly and Bethany Beach, both of which were awesome so maybe I am grading them too harshly. However, the transition area issues should be fixed.

Last updated: 2014-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:30 | 2112 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/113
Performance: Bad
Suit: Ocra Sonar and neoprene cap
Course: Two laps around the lake. Other events started after the men's half-tri so there were always people passing or getting passed resulting in allot of contact.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:11
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:03:41 | 57.2 miles | 18.68 mile/hr
Performance: Good
146 average HR
Wind: Some
Course: Course was three loops. Early on there was a mile or so with allot of big bumps. Each loop had two turn arounds. The roads were open to traffic. The wind picked up as the ride went on but it was never terribly bad. Road was a mix of rough and smooth. Pretty flat course.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:55:26 | 13.2 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Performance: Good
160 HR
Course: Course was on road and in/out of hard packed sandy trails. Lots of turns and loops. Confusing for the first timer IMO. Flat and shaded. Part of course was repeated.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-05-06 10:18 AM

User image

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Subject: Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spring Bassman Half Distance Triathlon

Started by BigPaulD
Views: 1235 Posts: 1

2013-05-16 5:37 PM BigPaulD

Started by niceguy542006
Views: 2204 Posts: 1

2013-05-08 7:45 AM niceguy542006

Started by ImSore
Views: 1161 Posts: 1

2013-05-06 9:10 PM ImSore

Started by FELTGood
Views: 1701 Posts: 4

2012-05-08 3:20 PM rscheung

Started by rscheung
Views: 1379 Posts: 2

2012-05-08 5:55 AM FELTGood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : June 17, 2009
With stroke improvements I find that when I try and swim long I have lost any speed gains that I had because my stroke count just creeps up and up. I also feel like I'm running out of air.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.