Fayetteville, North Carolina
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 20s
Overall Rank = 237/867
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 18/69
Pre-race routine:

Found my coworker, Brad, who is also the FTCC videographer, and he took this great snap.

photo 09eedca3-2134-4447-9332-ceaa34cfe33d.jpg
Run
  • 2h 07m 20s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a very FUN event! I had a HUGE grin across my face the entire way! I think this was so fun for me because it was a combination of my teammates AND my coworkers! Plus it was great to have a race right here in my hometown and not have to travel or book a hotel!

My employer, Fayetteville Technical Community College, was a big supporter of this race. They manned a water stop at the 5 mile marker as well as had a booth at the parade grounds. I was excited to get to the 5 mile mark because I knew the College President would be there and Brad would be filming. Brad filmed me as I ran up and gave the President a big sweaty hug. He said the clip will be use on the State of the College video that will be shown at the end-of-year campus-wide faculty and staff meeting.

I saw a few of my teammates during this first part of the race, Marsha, Al, Steve, Orca, Bonnie, Shelly, and Jamila. Also saw the Rich and Heather cheering from the sideline on "heartbreak hill" and a former coworker from the Fitness Center, Will.

After the FTCC water stop, it was not long before we got onto the All American Freeway. At this point I put on my headphones for my MP3 player because I thought it might get monotonous. It was fun to run right on the freeway! I stopped and took a few photos along the way. There was "Remember the Blue" row with photos of fallen soldiers. After that was a row of supporters holding out flags to us (photo below). After that I saw a former coworker who was filming for Fort Bragg and he made me stop until he could get his camera ready to roll on me. It was amazing to see such a long of runners up the freeway as far as the eye could see. I bet it was a sight to behold for the people watching us on the bridges above. The final turn towards the finish line on Fort Bragg took us directly into the sun. Next thing I knew, there was the Finish Line! It seemed to go by so fast that it didn't even feel like 13.1 miles.

At the Finish line there were young ladies wearing crowns and soldiers in full dress uniforms putting medals on the finishers. I grabbed a bottle of water, then waited for Pete. He was only a few minutes behind me. We found our teammates, then went to get our Finisher shirts. Right beside the shirts was the FTCC booth, so I chatted with coworkers there. After that was chicken fingers and beer! There was a live band playing on a stage. They also had some military vehicles displayed and a blow up ride play area for kids. Then we went back to the finish line to cheer in my coworker, DeSandra. And after that was a paratrooper drop! A plane flew overhead and three paratroopers jumped. We watched them come down and down until it looked like they were going to overshoot the spot designated for their landing. I thought, "It's too windy, they aren't going to make it!" But they DID make it; they knew how to make those chutes circle back around and land SPOT ON! Then, as if that weren't enough, we looked up and another paratrooper was falling with a fancy black parachute that was leaving a trail of red smoke behind! As he was falling, the song, "I'm Proud to Be an American" was playing and the song finished just as the paratrooper hit the ground!

After all that, it was time to find the shuttle buses back to Festival Park in Fayetteville. We found Gus who had just finished the full marathon just as we were leaving. There was a shuttle loading up as were arrived. We got right on and headed out without even waiting. It seemed they thought of about everything for this race, right down to using clear bags for gear drop so that nothing could be hidden from view. Fayetteville and Fort Bragg did an awesome job. I hope to do this race every year!

We ran right up the All American Highway to Fort Bragg!
 photo 20cad0f9-d788-4607-bc35-6b9ecdc6a667.jpg

photo 4f4a83ab-386c-48a9-b2be-1b17a1f376b7.jpg
What would you do differently?:

Lose a few pounds and train harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Found some teammates at the Finish Line!
 photo b10f03b5-e84f-4caa-8aa3-ab5351cc67ac.jpg

And OF COURSE I had to get a photo with Iron Mike!
 photo 06ac5a46-bd9d-4310-b810-ce7ec3a189bd.jpg

photo c1a36ee2-5655-4f04-8556-b1b0e25e39c3.jpg

Event comments:

EPIC AWESOME FUN race! Most definitely at the top of the list of best run races. What a day! I'm so happy and proud that Fayetteville/Fort Bragg were able to pull this off so flawlessly, and it will surely grow exponentially in the coming years.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:20 | 13.1 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/69
Overall: 237/867
Performance: Average
Course: All American Freeway!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-05-06 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Mike to Mike Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mike to Mike Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mike Collingwood Memorial Triathlon (Meech Lake Tri)

Started by TriGuyOttawa
Views: 814 Posts: 1

2011-07-21 7:49 AM TriGuyOttawa

Mike Collingwood Memorial Triathlon (Meech Lake Tri)

Started by herridge
Views: 1605 Posts: 1

2010-07-06 9:46 AM herridge

Mike Caruana Father's Day 5K Fun Run

Started by mrs.cusetri
Views: 962 Posts: 1

2009-06-21 7:47 PM mrs.cusetri

Mike Collingwood Memorial Triathlon

Started by TriGuyOttawa
Views: 1193 Posts: 1

2007-07-08 12:25 AM TriGuyOttawa

The Mike Burwell Sprint Triathlon - 2005

Started by scuba-punk
Views: 1738 Posts: 24

2005-07-05 8:09 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 24, 2012
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 3
I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : February 21, 2008
author : mikericci
Discussions on 1/2 Ironman race placement 3 weeks from a first IM, treadmill to outside run transition, 4 days on/5 off workday training schedule, trainer workouts and 30 days of swimming to get fast.
date : March 21, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
March BeginnerTriathlete of the Month Interview with Mike Ricci

date : June 4, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 2
One year ago I weighed 238 lbs. and got winded walking up one flight of stairs - literally. I ran across a brochure for a triathlon...hmm. It seemed like an impossible task, but I was intrigued.
date : May 16, 2005
author : infosteward
"After accepting the job, I asked Bill to put on my desk the entire major concerns that needed to be addressed immediately upon my arrival. I wanted the toughest challenges he could give me."

date : April 17, 2005
author : Team BT
How to be a BOPer or MOPer in a FOPer world. As a middle of the pack athlete, I have adopted some things I do to assure a victorious feeling at every event I finish.