Set Up Events
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 09m 18s
Overall Rank = 75/98
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00 a.m. Breakfast of Vanilla Shakeology mixed with Kefir, almond milk, chia seeds and PB2. 1 hour prior to race and 24 oz. of water. 1 hour prior to race start, 2 1/2 scoops of Ucan.
Event warmup:

Waded into the water and let the water into my wetsuit
Swim
  • 37m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

Only about 35 women participants, so swim start was pretty gentle. I started in the back of the pack and pretty much stayed there. The woman swimming to my right kept swimming into me, so I switched to her right side instead. Then she began swimming into me over there. This went on until we rounded the first buoy and I could stay to the far right of the course and get away from her. The first 350 yards felt pretty rough, but once I rounded the first buoy, it felt as though I finally had a good cadence, breathing and sighting pattern. I focused on a low head in the water and pulling all the way through my catch. By the time the last buoy arrived, I was pretty tired of being in the water. I tried to pull hard through each stroke.

My swim time was close to last year's time at this race. Considering that last year I was a mere 3 weeks from a half Ironman, I feel as though I'm starting the year on a positive note.
What would you do differently?:

Be more consistent with my swim training in the off season.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I had a couple issues in transition with getting my shoes unvelcroed and on my feet as well as dripping water onto the inside of my glasses. I should have waited to put my helmet and glasses on until after I was done bending over getting my shoes on. Otherwise, this is an improvement over last year's race at the same venue.

Not drip water inside my prescription sunglasses.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 32s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the bike. It took me a bit of time once I left transition to get my heart rate down a bit. I rode hard and passed a few people the first couple of miles. I caught up with a tri fiend, and we passed each other over and over for about 18 miles.

As I was coming towards transition, the run and bike course share the same road inside the West Dam Park. There were runners on the ride side of the road, and I was getting ready to pass a gentleman ahead of me when his wife and daughter darted from the left side of the road in front of me to be with him on the right side of the road. Why I don't know. He didn't appear to be in distress. However, their being in the road, and not paying attention to anyone but the man caused me distress. As I was getting ready to pass, the woman realized I was there. She and her daughter then attempted to run back across the street directly in my path. I was yelling, "Stop, stop, stop!" and the woman was yelling at her daughter. It was about 15 seconds of sheet chaos. I locked up my rear brake as the little girl ran directly in front of me. My bike went sideways, I yelled again for her to STOP and she finally did. I let go of the brake, put my bike in the berm/dirt on the side of the road. It fortunately righted itself and I was able to continue my forward momentum. For a moment, though, I thought both little girl and I were going to eat it pretty badly.

I feel pretty good about the bike. I will, however, ride more in my tri kit shorts before race day. The seam hits me at a weird angle on my saddle. Otherwise, I may just swap out my kit shorts with a pair of DeSoto shorts.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Got into transition and wasted a few minutes trying to fit my bike back under the rack. I did sit down to take off my cycling shoes, put on socks and put on my shoes. Grabbed my visor and my race # and off I went. This was probably my best T2 so far.

Just rack my bike by the bars if I can't get it to fit?
Run
  • 1h 03m 44s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 22s  min/km
Comments:

I felt really good for the first loop of the run. My friend, Carrie, was still directly in front of me and we kept talking. On the 2nd loop, both of us started to struggle, so we decided to run side by side. We'd make deals and then when we got to certain points, we'd renegotiate our deal. I was glad to have her run with me. We ran down the finish chute together and finished with the same time.

Just need a more solid running base. Still.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank some water...waited about 30 minutes to eat anything as my stomach was a bit upset.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training

Event comments:

The is the first time this race has been held. It's identical to the Hot Dam Oly tri in September, but the weather was so nice this time of year. I'm pleased that Set Up events made the decision to host it.

Last updated: 2014-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:26 | 1500 meters | 02m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/98
Performance: Average
Suit: Synergy Sleeveless
Course: Right hand triangle. Approx. 350 yards to first buoy, 800 yards to 2nd buoy and another 350 yards back to swim finish.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:24:32 | 24.8 miles | 17.60 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Lollipop Shape
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:44 | 10 kms | 06m 22s  min/km
Course: Out and back...2 loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-10 1:01 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: Tall Pines Olympic Triathlon

2014-05-12 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4994426

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Tall Pines Olympic Triathlon

Great early season result. Nice job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tall Pines Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pine Barrens Olympic Distance Triathlon

Started by maher025
Views: 1456 Posts: 1

2008-09-08 6:05 PM maher025

Pine Barrens Olympic Distance Triathlon

Started by chrome
Views: 1049 Posts: 1

2008-09-08 8:39 AM chrome

23 Anual Pine Barrens Olympic Distance Triathlon

Started by chrome
Views: 1034 Posts: 1

2006-09-13 9:18 AM chrome

23 Anual Pine Barrens Olympic Distance Triathlon

Started by kayakguy
Views: 1149 Posts: 2

2006-09-09 3:22 PM shawn barr

Pine Barrens Olympic Triathlon

Started by chrome
Views: 633 Posts: 1

2005-09-12 3:50 PM chrome
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.