General Discussion Race Reports! » Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Hartford, Connecticut
United States
Hartford Marathon Foundation
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 12s
Overall Rank = 10/107
Age Group = M2529
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00, had bagel and coffe, left at 5:30 and arrived at the race site 6:40ish. I got set up, walked down to the water to fill my bucket, walked back, got suited up and went back down to the water.
Event warmup:

The three walks between transition and the water was .6 miles, and I swam a little before the start. I had a GU with some water ten minutes before race start.
Swim
  • 31m 29s
  • 1584 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had some trouble staying with everyone during most of the swim. When I started to draft, I didn't trust that they were swimming straight, stop to sight and then would lose them. I seemed to take the course wider than everyone else, and was having pains in my left hip and shoulder towards the end. I wonder if the pains are the cause or result of my crooked swimming.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure why I was so off today and what I did wrong. Maybe I need to swim more than once or twice a week, although it didn't feel like a lack of fitness issue, but more of a lack of swimming straight skills.
Transition 1
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

Put my sandals on my the water and ran the quarter mile on the road to transition. I remembered to pick up my GUes this time and got biking.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 33s
  • 23.8 miles
  • 21.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I had some trouble with my chocolate GU. When I was putting the top back in my jersey pocket, I squeezed the packet and it got all on my hands. I licked most of it off, but my shifter was sticky for the first several miles until it dried. I almost got clipped my an Expedition, I yelled and smacked his fender with my laft hand as I passed his dumb ass. Idiot SUV drivers. Besides that, I had a good ride and passed a lot of people. One guy on a road bike passed me in the hilly section and I thought that his bike probably gave him an advantage in this race. If I win the lottery, I'll buy a road bike to use at this race.

Be more careful with my Gu.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Dismount on road, run over gravel and grass to transition.
Run
  • 44m 56s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Uneventful run, passed one guy and saw no one else. I used a couple of the water stops, but felt as if I had too much to drink as the water was sloshing around in my stomach.
Post race
Warm down:

I got a massage for the first time after a race, that was nice. Farmington River Brewery was there and I had some beer while packing up and during the awards. Mmm...free beer.

Event comments:

Much better run race now that HMF took it over from CATS. The swim is nice and the bike and run courses are challenging.

Last updated: 2006-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:29 | 1584 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 35/107
Performance: Below average
Suit: Performance
Course: Triangular marked with 8 white circle buoys, which I thought were hard to see.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:33 | 23.8 miles | 21.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 7/107
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The first 18 or 19 miles are either downhill or mostly flat. I should have looked at my average speed at that point, I'll bet it was 25 or 25 mph. You pay for that in the last few miles where there are several climbs, a couple of which were quite steep.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:56 | 06.2 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 7/107
Performance: Average
Course: A crazy run through Brodie park, following flags and arrows painted on the ground. The rest was over rolling hills on the roads around town.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes