General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM and Marathon Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-12 4:58 PM

, Florida
Subject: HIM and Marathon Training
Hi,

I'm doing my first HIM in July (Vineman 70.3) and I've been training with a coach for it. For economic reasons I'm planning to stop working with him after the race. I have also signed up for my first marathon in November 2014. What training would you recommend for the marathon that will allow me to maintain the base I have gained for the half ironman. I might consider to do another HIM in October.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2014-05-12 7:34 PM
in reply to: kellynda

User image

Regular
Morton IL
Subject: RE: HIM and Marathon Training
I did a 70.2 last August and ran a marathon November 2nd. Your half training builds a strong base. I just took a beginner marathon plan and started part way into it. I ran a 3:46 in what was my first marathon, felt I did pretty well considering.
2014-05-13 10:49 AM

User image

Pro

I wouldn't do an October half ironman followed by a November marathon.

Are you trying to maintain your cycling and swimming base during marathon training? A beginner plan may help you out. It's likely going to be a little exhausting trying to maintain a base in the other events while training for a marathon.

You'll likely be building your fitness through marathon training, so I wouldn't worry too much about the swim and bike. Lots of plans have day where it's a short run or cross training. Just sub in some biking/swimming on the cross training days. 

Also, there are plans that build from a half marathon to a full marathon. These might be a good place to start, just make sure the run volume at the beginning is in line with what you were doing for the half iron.

2014-05-13 11:10 AM

User image

Pro

Training for Vineman will give you a great aerobic base.  Problem with having a strong aerobic base tho', is you transfer that to running;  and your heart and lungs will write a check that your bones, joints, ligaments and tendons can't cash.  So, I'd be doing a run-focussed HIM training, that incorporates 4 days/wk of running.  So, even while you're building your cycling and swimming, you need to make sure you're building a run base of 25-30mpw.  (or more)

After Vineman, you'll need a week or two of light recovery workouts, and then start in on a full marathon training plan.  Another HIM in October is probably not a good idea- unless you already have a strong base and you don't intend to go all out.

If this is your first marathon, you'll find that the training for it (if you plan to 'rock it' and not just 'finish' it), is pretty serious.  You'll be running 5-6 days a week and doing 40-50mi weeks (or more).  There will be a couple days a week where you can cross train on the bike and the pool, which will certainly help out- but you will lose bike/swim fitness in favor of run fitness.  There's really no way around it.

Maintaining fitness is like blowing up a balloon with a hole in it.

Tri fitness, is like blowing up three balloons each with holes in them.  When you blow in the bike balloon, the air is coming out of the run balloon.  And that's life. 

2014-05-13 11:52 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Pro

Originally posted by morey000

Tri fitness, is like blowing up three balloons each with holes in them.  When you blow in the bike balloon, the air is coming out of the run balloon.  And that's life. 

I like that analogy.

Also, just wanted to add, there is nothing wrong with a single-sport focus for a while. In fact, it can be extremely beneficial! 

2014-05-13 10:38 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Originally posted by morey000

Training for Vineman will give you a great aerobic base.  Problem with having a strong aerobic base tho', is you transfer that to running;  and your heart and lungs will write a check that your bones, joints, ligaments and tendons can't cash.  So, I'd be doing a run-focussed HIM training, that incorporates 4 days/wk of running.  So, even while you're building your cycling and swimming, you need to make sure you're building a run base of 25-30mpw.  (or more)

After Vineman, you'll need a week or two of light recovery workouts, and then start in on a full marathon training plan.  Another HIM in October is probably not a good idea- unless you already have a strong base and you don't intend to go all out.

If this is your first marathon, you'll find that the training for it (if you plan to 'rock it' and not just 'finish' it), is pretty serious.  You'll be running 5-6 days a week and doing 40-50mi weeks (or more).  There will be a couple days a week where you can cross train on the bike and the pool, which will certainly help out- but you will lose bike/swim fitness in favor of run fitness.  There's really no way around it.

Maintaining fitness is like blowing up a balloon with a hole in it.

^^^ This.

In swimming and biking, it's possible to cram for the test. In running you need to build gradually. And you just need to run a lot. Don't skimp on the marathon training. If you train right, it can be a wonderful experience. If you cut corners, you could have a very miserable day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM and Marathon Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Combining Marathon Training and Tri Training

Started by runrachierun
Views: 2606 Posts: 12

2008-06-12 6:28 PM phillybarb

Combining HIM training with marathon training

Started by esnackpack
Views: 1278 Posts: 10

2008-05-13 10:46 AM JohnnyKay

Tri training & marathon training

Started by sjgauge
Views: 1584 Posts: 18

2008-02-23 11:06 AM riorio

Tri Training and 1/2 Marathon Training.

Started by Crazypop
Views: 748 Posts: 3

2005-03-07 5:12 PM Crazypop

tri training and marathon training

Started by cece
Views: 1634 Posts: 11

2004-08-27 2:31 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2010
comments : 1
Can I do extra running miles for my two half marathons while starting a half Ironman training program?

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : March 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Our regular USAT coach chat with lots of tips including discussions on Computrainers, bike fitting and position, triathlon and marathon training, Tim DeBoom lunges and nutrition.

date : January 16, 2007
author : AMSSM
The long runs, before your training was up to speed, likely started-up some overuse injury. Inflammation occurred in the front part of your knee where the extensor mechanism of your knee functions.
date : March 5, 2006
author : acbadger
Once I can run again I'm thinking about keeping it in the training plan as a substitute for a few of my short runs. Has anyone else done this for their marathon training?

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 3
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 3:00-4:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!