General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Made the mental decision to do Muncie HIM in 2015 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-05-14 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
Subject: Made the mental decision to do Muncie HIM in 2015
I have been looking for something to challenge myself with and something to train for. The wife and I signed up for the Indy Mini Marathon in 2015 and we have been doing 5K's more and more recently. Part of the reason I had never really given the HIM much thought was that I always thought the run would be impossible for me since I have always struggled with it. As I run more, I have actually started to like running and realized the 13.1 wont be that bad. Coupled with the fact that I was a high school swimmer and have been road riding since 2001, I actually am starting to like all 3.

I signed up for the Gold membership at BT and plan on customizing my plan to fit my schedule while still getting all my training in. I am looking forward to some structured training and cant wait to get started. I have a sprint Tri this weekend. I start into my HIM training on Monday.

I look forwarding to following everybody and taking in the lessons everyone has learned from doing theirs. As a pre-type 2 diabetic, I have the opportunity to maybe reduce the medication I am taking and get my cholesterol under control. The doctor thinks this is totally possible if I can get my body into fighting shape.

Jeff

2014-05-14 8:34 AM
in reply to: satchmo72

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: Made the mental decision to do Muncie HIM in 2015

Congrats! Sounds like a good plan

I would caution against starting your HIM training this Monday if your race is in 2015.... it's easy to get tired of it/ burn out before race day if your training schedule is too long. Keep on s/b/r-ing, train for some sprints, and Olys, get in some longer rides, and start your "official" training about 20 weeks out (JMHO!)

2014-05-14 8:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Trishie, I wondered about that. My thought process was to get my body to be able to do those distances, let alone be fast at them but did not think about getting burnt out on them.

Just starting into these distances so any help is much appreciated.

Since it is only May, I suppose I could start HIM training now and maybe do one in Sept-Oct.

I've made the decision to do the work. I am running 3-4 days a week now so I have already started adjusting the free time for that.

Jeff

Edited by satchmo72 2014-05-14 8:44 AM
2014-05-14 9:37 AM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
I'm with Trishie on this one. I think if you start training solely for you HIM now, you'll get burnt out. I'd focus on trying to get some races in this year and maybe do an olympic distance at the end of the season, and then hit your HIM specific training next spring while trying to maintain fitness over the winter. But whatever you you decide, good luck!
2014-05-14 1:20 PM

New user
, Indiana
Oh man, there are so many sprint tri's around Indy its crazy especially getting into the summer, darn near every weekend. Then you have a great one in Tri-Indy in August downtown that is Olympic, definitely do this one. After the season, determine if you want/can do Muncie next year. You'll have plenty of time early in 2015 to start a training plan for it. Need to take some time off in the winter, but not completely, just unstructured. I need this for my mental sanity. I've done Muncie twice and liked it ok, the bike last year was awful, but the put the old course back, so it will be good. I'll be going up to Cedar Point for Rev3 70.3 in September and my plan is full distance in the fall of 2015, good luck
2014-05-14 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
So I have been running 3-5 miles a couple of times a week for the last couple of months, I have not cycled much but my first long ride was from Baton Rouge to New Orleans (roughly 80 miles) in early April and I survived. I have only swam a few times this year but was a high school swimmer and swimming comes fairly natural.

Should I:

Train for and do sprint and olympic tri's this summer and fall and start HIM training early next year?

or

start HIM training Monday and do the Tawas Festival of Races HIM on Sept 6th?

Thoughts?

2014-05-14 1:52 PM
in reply to: paulzale

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis, IN
Originally posted by paulzale

Oh man, there are so many sprint tri's around Indy its crazy especially getting into the summer, darn near every weekend. Then you have a great one in Tri-Indy in August downtown that is Olympic, definitely do this one. After the season, determine if you want/can do Muncie next year. You'll have plenty of time early in 2015 to start a training plan for it. Need to take some time off in the winter, but not completely, just unstructured. I need this for my mental sanity. I've done Muncie twice and liked it ok, the bike last year was awful, but the put the old course back, so it will be good. I'll be going up to Cedar Point for Rev3 70.3 in September and my plan is full distance in the fall of 2015, good luck

Definitely doing the Tri-Indy in August. I did not know about that one. I have done 5K urban runs along the canal and such, a tri would be a blast.

Good luck!! No sure what to do. It sounds like people are saying that 16-20 is enough time to train for a 70.3.

I do not know if that is possible for me and the run.
2014-05-14 2:11 PM

New user
, Indiana
If you have a stand alone half this year, then 16-20 weeks is plenty of time to train for a HIM.

Rough list, not fully inclusive or local tri's this year:

5/17 Terre haute OLY
6/7 Cicero or Geist Sprint
6/28 Morse Sprint
7/19 Eagle Creek Sprint
7/27 Saxony Sprint
8/3 Tri-Indy Sprint or OLY
8/16 Eagle Creek Sprint or Noblesville Fit-Fest Sprint
9/14 Lawrence Sprint
9/21 IUPUI Jag Sprint

I'm sure that there are more, as I don't have any Muncie dates in there either.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Made the mental decision to do Muncie HIM in 2015 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need help making this decision

Started by jdwright56
Views: 1066 Posts: 12

2011-06-27 12:26 PM RedCorvette

Decisions, Decisions

Started by jdwright56
Views: 587 Posts: 1

2010-03-24 9:37 AM jdwright56

Stop me from making a bad decision...

Started by Pegasus1731
Views: 1404 Posts: 20

2009-03-31 8:39 AM jbjboc

I need help making a big decision Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by robin314159
Views: 4672 Posts: 92

2007-04-26 9:23 PM MikeTheBear

Decisions, decisions...

Started by Lucy
Views: 567 Posts: 1

2005-07-01 7:13 PM Lucy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"