General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Selma, Indiana
United States
America Multi-Sport
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 19s
Overall Rank = 13/88
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Race time was 9AM, Woke up at 6:15, planned to be to transition by 7:15 so I left the hotel at 6:45. Stopped at the local donut shop and got myself a boston creme and a couple blueberry munchkins.
Event warmup:

Did a 15 minute bike warm-up, mostly easy, a couple quick spins at 100 rpm's followed by a couple 15 second hard efforts. After that, I did a 10 minute run warm-up, easy for 7 minutes then two 30 second race pace efforts. By then, it was time to get down to the water for the start. I was able to get into the water briefly prior to the swim start but didn't get in more than a couple strokes.
Swim
  • 30m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

When the Mrs. comes to the races, she's nice enough to give me split times coming out of the water. When she said 30, I was shocked. I expected to be out of the water in 25 minutes or less. Sure the water was cold, the buoys on the way back in sucked, the sighting was difficult, but I'm not that slow. I tried to shake it off and went about getting onto the bike. She caught up to me as I was heading out of T1 and I asked her about the others. She then told me that everyone was coming out slow that I had in fact caught a couple people from the elite wave. That made me feel better.
What would you do differently?:

I had a good swim. My tempo was solid, my sighting was as good as it could be. The swim was long, and honestly, that probably helps me more than it hurts me since I'm an above average swimmer. I only dropped 1:24 to the best time in my AG and three seconds to the second best. There were several guys in the mid 30's and above.
Transition 1
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

The cold water and the length of time in it had a temporary affect on me, and I did expect that. It wasn't my first time in water that cold. I took it easy once on the beach, walking the first 10-15 yards until I got my bearings. Then I started to jog toward transition. The route to T1 is quite long and as I progressed I picked up the pace without overdoing it.

The wet suit came off wonderfully this year. One of my reoccurring problems last year was that my legs would cramp up in T1 as I was taking off the wetsuit. This would then cause me some problems over the first mile of the bike as I worked the cramps out. I didn't have that problem this year thanks to cutting off 2 inches from the bottom of my suit. The only problem I had was that I missed with my right foot clipping into the bike so I had to take a couple extra seconds as I was getting started to get both feet clipped in.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 55s
  • 25.7 miles
  • 21.44 mile/hr
Comments:

It was my first race with the powertap. I went out thinking about keeping it in range of 210-220W. That proved to be too much. My FTP is around 235-240W and this pace proved to be too difficult to hold. I ended up fading a bit on the second loop and came off the bike with an NP of 199 and AP of 197. Other than than going a bit too hard, my racing was pretty solid. I do a lot of shifting on this course and I think I managed it really well, getting as much as i could get with a given gear on each section of the course. I stayed aero nearly the entire time, only coming up on a couple of the harder hills when I chose to open up and get more air into my lungs and leverage on the pedals.

I will pick a more conservative power target next time. 90% of FTP was too much to hold, but even more important, it was too much for a quality run on this course. If I would have gone out with 85% as a target, rode at 198W-ish, I may have ended up with a similiar time overall by not fading on the second loop.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Not much to T2. My rack was right near the 'bike in' so it was an easy in and out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 44m 22s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Even on a hard course, 44:22 is pretty bad. I should have been able to put up a mid to high 42 minute effort. I clearly cooked the bike too much and knew it by the 3rd mile. Every time I tried to push the pace below 7 min miles, I had to back off.

On some courses, you can cook the bike and still run well. On this course, that isn't true. I need to be aware of that and do a better job pacing my bike effort next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat my butt down on a park bench with a piece of pizza. They were out of chocolate chip cookies or I would have grabbed one of those too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could have been a minute or two faster had I paced the bike a bit better.

Event comments:

Generally they put on a good race, but I had to go with a 3 this time due to the difficult sighting on the swim course and the rough-ness of east side of the bike course. I hope they fix this before I race there again.

Last updated: 2014-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:28 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 23/88
Performance: Good
Suit: BlueSeventy Reaction
Course: Large rectangle course.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:11:55 | 25.7 miles | 21.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 23/88
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Two loop course. You start out going west for a couple miles and then turn south. The west side is by far the quickest section of the course. It was mostly flat or downhill with a 4-6 mph tailwind. I was doing over 25mph for a significant portion of this section on both loops. From experience, I knew I had to keep the power up on this section and drive it hard b/c I was going to slow down on the south and east sides of the course. Those sides of the course contains a series of rollers that disrupt any sort of pace you have going. The roads on the east side were especially rough and 'heavy.'
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:22 | 06.2 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 12/88
Performance: Below average
Course: This is a difficult 10K course. Lots of ups and downs, very little flat surface. It's an out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2014-05-16 2:54 PM

Subject: Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Aquabike

Started by za29
Views: 1060 Posts: 1

2012-05-16 9:30 AM za29

Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by asock325
Views: 1097 Posts: 1

2012-05-13 8:36 AM asock325

Started by Keith_OH
Views: 1023 Posts: 1

2012-05-13 7:03 AM Keith_OH

Started by mambos
Views: 1674 Posts: 9

2012-05-14 10:45 AM jgerbodegrant

Muncie May Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by vwswimmer2010
Views: 860 Posts: 1

2012-05-12 7:00 PM vwswimmer2010
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : March 9, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.