General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing Inc.
Total Time = 2h 30m 9s
Overall Rank = 73/261
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/24
Swim
  • 29m 31s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I've been swimming a lot the last four weeks and I was hopeful that it would show during this race.

I stood on a ledge in the water and waited for the start horn that went off at 6:55. I started near the back knowing that even if I had improved my times over the last month I was still slower than average.

After the first couple of minutes I was able to get into a rhythm and made my way to the first turn buoy. I felt like I was moving at an OK clip but was a bit disappointed with the freedom of my arms to really reach into my stroke. My reach was pretty awful for the last races that I've worn this wetsuit so it was less of a factor.

Once I realized that I'd have to focus on extended my arms more than normal I was OK.

I had a few sighting issue on the back half of the swim but nothing terrible. When I stepped out of the water and glanced at my watch I was pleasantly surprised that my time was 28:30. This was an 11 minute improvement over last month and two minutes faster than last year. Nice!
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

I ran up the hill, over the timing mat, stripped the wetsuit, etc. Nothing new or exciting here other than I also turned on the Garmin Virb so that I could record my ride.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 54s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 20.99 mile/hr
Comments:

As I've said in the past, I'm not a fan of this bike course but it is what we have locally and I am coming to accept it.

The course consisted of two 12.4 mile loops/laps/or something.

There are so many 90 degree turns and even four 180 degree turns in the width of a lane. It is tough to get into a rhythm and it shows by my average speed of 21mph (I go faster than this on comfortable training rides).

The bike is my favorite part though and I did have a good time. I was pleased that I was further up in the pack and didn't have to pass so many people along the way but I was also passed more than I am used to.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I swapped shoes, tossed on a hat and headed out. Nothing exciting.
Run
  • 47m 7s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was two loops. Luckily the temperature was still not too hot; about 84 degrees.

I felt pretty good on the run and maintained a 7:35 pace throughout even though I stopped at almost every water station along the route to drink a cup and dump one on my head.

Being so late in the year this race provides ample stations every 3/4 mile or so.

I managed to pass around 20 people on this leg and got passed by a few really fast runners.

The last half mile was pretty painful as pain lanced into the right side of my body. I struggled on knowing that the race was almost over and after crossing the finish line a few minutes later I felt better.
Post race
Event comments:

Plenty of details on my blog: http://tritoachieve.blogspot.com/2014/05/race-report-5182014-tempe-...

The race went much better than last year. Mostly because it started on time. I believe that the temperature highs for the day were about the same each year but starting 45 minutes earlier made all the difference.

I also have a year of experience under my belt and a really good month of training.

This was a PR for me and I am excited to break 2:30 on my next olympic distance event.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:31 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/261
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:54 | 24.8 miles | 20.99 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:07 | 06.2 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-05-19 6:49 PM

User image

New user

Chandler
Subject: Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tempe International Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by cordova61
Views: 1890 Posts: 7

2007-05-24 4:41 PM chile7473

Started by hjmiii
Views: 2220 Posts: 7

2007-05-22 9:34 PM cordova61

Started by bryancd
Views: 2354 Posts: 7

2007-06-09 11:51 AM Shermbelle

Started by oldpueblotriguy
Views: 2442 Posts: 8

2007-05-23 10:36 AM cordova61

Started by jsttri
Views: 2517 Posts: 5

2007-05-25 3:27 PM DarylJ
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 3, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on getting faster than 1:35/100m, IM swim training, counting strokes and improving an Olympic distance swim.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.