Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Krispy Kreme Challenge
Total Time = 55m 31s
Overall Rank = 917/3389
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 93/313
Pre-race routine:

Took a shot at the Krispy Kreme Challenge a few year's back with Tim and we just missed the 1hr cutoff. We had an awesome time, and ever since then I've always wanted to go back and give it another shot. I love Raleigh, so Slake, Jeff, Will (who unfortunately had to bail last minute) and I planned a boy's weekend to head down and give it a try.

We jumped in the man van Friday morning and drove down. After checking into the Day's Inn, we headed over to packed pickup. Decided we should eat a few donuts just to get a feel for it. :-)
Afterwards, we walked around, had too big of a dinner at a good BBQ place, and hit a few bars before turning in for a reasonably early night.
Event warmup:

Woke up and got ready. Jeff's stomach was already not feeling great (too much BBQ?), but we did get a good parking spot pretty close and walked to the tower for the start. Plan was to have Jeff and I stick together and since Slake was a faster eater and slower runner with some injuries, he would leapfrog with us.

Run
  • 55m 31s
  • 5 miles
  • 11m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

They changed the course to make it a bit safer and accommodate all the extra runners. This also results in a longer course, so now you have to run an extra .5mi each way. We started a bit faster than we expected, but the group was moving pretty fast and we felt ok, so we went with it. We also could use all the time we could get so it was ok. Goal was 20min out, 12min eat, 23min back for 55min total.

We probably pulled into the parking lot and grabbed our box ~18min. Jeff's stomach ache wasn't any better though, so he was struggling right from the first donuts. I decided to smash several together this time and that helped. I was doing 2-3 at a time and really got through the first 6 quickly. Slake pulled in and started catching up right away. The last 4 were pretty awful, but I remembered from experience that it's always better to keep eating and struggle through it. The eating is the worst part. Once you swallow, it isn't really that much volume. It's more a matter of your body starting to reject all that sugar!

Slake finished up and headed out. I waited a few minutes for Jeff whom was now employing some strange strategy of ripping the donuts into a million pieces like some rabid animal. His last 4 donuts were ripped into scraps and he would start one and then move on to another before finishing. Bizarre, but whatever works.

We finished up and headed out to run back. It's pretty rolling terrain so we just tried to stay steady. I knew if we didn't stop we would make the cutoff, so I was messing around a bit and people watching. We ran a bit with Slake, but his back was suffering, so he would fall back a bit as we went. We finally got back to the tower and were pleasantly surprised how much time we had left under the cutoff! I finally crossed that one off the list!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was planning on trying to eat chips in between donuts to get some salt and cleanse my palate, but the bag fell out of my pocket literally 5 seconds into the race!
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered on others for a few and then drove back to hotel to shower.
Walked to lunch and decided to drink the entire beer list via 4oz. samplers.
Good times!

Event comments:

This is an awesome experience. Everyone should try it once!

Last updated: 2013-11-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:55:31 | 05 miles | 11m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 93/313
Overall: 917/3389
Performance: Average
Course: 2.5mi. out, 12 Krispy Kreme Donuts, 2.5mi. back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-06-09 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Krispy Kreme Challenge
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Krispy Kreme Challenge Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Started by cathyberger
Views: 1104 Posts: 2

2009-02-07 7:59 AM lextek

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Started by konichiwa
Views: 1595 Posts: 5

2008-01-31 2:55 PM weds19

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Started by weds19
Views: 2310 Posts: 17

2008-01-31 9:58 AM konichiwa

Krispy Kreme Challenge Pages: 1 2

Started by dck4shrt
Views: 4541 Posts: 26

2010-11-18 9:55 AM dck4shrt

Krispy Kreme Challenge

Started by ellasdad
Views: 2141 Posts: 9

2007-01-28 4:43 AM ellasdad
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : November 28, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : January 7, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 4
We were all there once, a beginner. Time to take the challenge and help a beginner triathlete!

date : January 29, 2006
author : lv2teach
comments : 1
It’s a challenge to push yourself a little harder and a little further. Be proud of every workout that is accomplished and every step-even the baby ones-that you take on this course to the finishline.
date : November 27, 2005
author : AMSSM
Try to view your injury as another athletic challenge and an opportunity for personal learning and growth. Identify the skills that help you succeed as an athlete.

date : September 3, 2005
author : infosteward
The Boulder Peak bike course is legendary. It is, literally and named as such, one of the toughest bike legs in the country.