HFP Racing
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 43s
Overall Rank = 40/193
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

I have come to the conclusion that I just do not wake up on time for anything. Started moving about 30 minutes late and with a 2 hour drive in front of me I had to move in a hurry. Thankfully I had packed everything up the night before and was ready to go. Made some coffee ate my usual raisen bran and made the trip to Toledo.
Event warmup:

Well I was hoping for a quick spin on the bike followed by a run after setting up transition, but my timing from waking up late was still causing me problems. I picked up my packet, used the potty and took a quick spin on the bike before heading to set up transition. I was in transition for maybe 2 minutes when they announced the transition areas was being closed for the start of the mini, there went the run warm-up. Finished setting everything grabbed my wetsuit and headed to the water. I did manage a quick 5 minute swim to warm up there so all was good.
Swim
  • 17m 31s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall a fairly decent swim, early in I was in a mess of swimmers which is something that I am not used to. I normally put myself to the outside of everyone to stay clear, but this time I went straight up the middle and actually fought for some space. There were a few times where I was hit in the head, but nit really enough to throw me off. There were also a few occasions where the chop or splashing caused some issues with my breathing a I sucked down water, I had to pull back at this point and catch my breath.

overall my sighting was dead on again! I went straight for the buoy and never found my self off track. On the way back to the beach I had a little trouble finding something to sight off of so I just went with the group hoping they were headed in the right direction.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more, this is the section that is keeping me off the podium and it is about time I fix it! I was 3 minutes behind coming out of the water and that is just too much to be making up.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Not sure where the time went, everything went fairly smooth even with the decision to wear socks.
Bike
  • 38m 17s
  • 23 kms
  • 36.05 km/hr
Comments:

Effort on the bike was just about red-line the entire time. Watching my HR it never really dropped below 150 and at several points it was over 160. I had targeted 150 prior to the race so seems to have worked out well. The wind played a factor into almost the entire course as it seemed it was always in your face, because of this I decided to stay out of the big gear and use a higher cadence to keep from burning up my legs. Even with this plan I still felt a lot of discomfort in my thighs almost the entire race, I pushed myself to the edge and hung on.

overall the ride was uneventful! I caught several in my AG early on (dang swimmers) and was only passed by one person in my AG about half way through the course. This was actually the motivation I needed as I was stating to slide a bit. I pushed the effort back up and held this to the entire end. The rider that had passed me earlier had put a pretty good gap on me, but he faded and I caught him towards the end of the ride. But instead of passing him I figured it was a wasted effort and came off the bike about 20s behind him. This became the motivation for the run.

1 Lap = 3 miles

Lap 1: 8:29 @ 21.2 mph 154bpm

Lap 2: 8:52 @ 20.3 mph 151bpm

Lap 3: 8:43 @ 20.6 mph 150bpm

Lap 4: 8:02 @ 22.4 mph 150bpm

Lap 5: 3:31 @ 21.3 mph 148bpm. (1.25 miles)

Not much, really not sure there was much more effort I could have out into the bike. Maybe next time try to hold a HR up around 160 but that seems excessive.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

This felt quick, but still came in at almost a minute. No major issues, this was the 1st time I used the pull strings for my shoes and that was nice not having to worry about tying them. Just slipped them in and took off.
Run
  • 21m 7s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 13s  min/km
Comments:

Holy cow, this run was Fun! As soon as I parked my bike and took off I knew it was going to be a good run. I felt almost no affect front the bike (maybe I didn't ride hard enough) and quickly settled into a good pace. Coming out of transition I fell in behind the AG guy that passed me on the bike. I thought I would just run behind him and see how things went, this lasted for maybe 1/4 mile. I then realized that he was just too slow (at a even 7m pace) and hit another gear. I passed him and just kept going. I was running hard, but it didn't really feel like it. My breathing was under control, HR rate was under control and my legs just kept churning. At mile 1 the time came in at 7:02 and I figured if I could hold that pace I would be happy, so I pushed harder to make sure I did not drop off. At this point I started passing a lot of runners, a few that were in my AG and every time this happened it just renewed my motivation, I continued to push harder. One thing that was different is the lack of time I spent looking at my watch, a few times I would check my HR but not really paying attention to it until the mile 2 alert went off. Look down and it showed a 6:55 for mile 2, holy crap I dropped 7s off my pace from the 1st mile. At this point I finally started to feel the effort of the run, HR started to climb and I could feel the slug in my chest growing and a little bit of doubt of being able to hold pace crept in. I continued to pass more runners and I kept pushing. I made it to the 2.5 mark and was really starting to hurt. At this point I fell back on self motivation. I have a playlist I use on intervals that breaks into a Army Cadence, that includes the chant "work, work". I think it is the same one they use in the shoe commercial, it also shows up in the wretched video with 2 guys yelling at you, and surprisingly it actually helped. I continued with the push, felt the mile 3 alert go off on the watch and I knew I was close to the end, I found yet another gear to push to the end. Finally found the finish line and once stopped I had to hold onto the rail because I felt I was going to pass out.

Mile 1: 7:02 158bpm
mile 2: 6:55 164bpm
Mile 3: 6:52 167bpm

What could be done differently, this effort was through the roof, and considering I came with-in 10s of beating my standalone 5k PR it was pretty amazing. Later when I checked the mile splits and found the mile 3 came in at 6:52 and was the fastest mile I was completely shocked. I don't think I have ever ran a 5k where each Mile was quicker than the previous mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat on a chair and attempted to pull myself together, I was completely wasted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swim training

Event comments:

This race was probably the best race I have put together to date. Normally I have something I am salty about, but this time I am satisfied with my effort. There no thoughts of I should of done, or I should of pushed harder. One. Thing to note, this race coincided with day 200 of my running streak. I have ran at least 1 mile everyday since thanksgiving day. I can't help to think that all of the consistency is starting to pay off.

p> the final point for this race! I checked previous years results and thought that I had an outside chance at a podium spot, everything would have to go perfect but an outside chance none the less. After seeing the results it shows even more how much I need to work on swimming. I came out of the water 3 minutes behind the guys that wound up in the top 3 spots. On the bike I held strong, gave up a minute to the 2nd place guy, held even with the eventual winner and made up over a minute on the 3rd place finisher. Then came the run, the AG winner was definitely a runner as he turned in a 19:36, but I made up another minute on the 2nd place guy and 1:30 on the 3rd place guy. The lesson learned? I finished 20s off of a podium spot after spotting them 3 minutes! I need to swim more, 20 freaking seconds!

Last updated: 2014-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:31 | 750 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 93/193
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:17 | 23 kms | 36.05 km/hr
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 30/193
Performance: Good
1 Lap = 3 miles</p> Lap 1: 8:29 @ 21.2 mph 154bpm Lap 2: 8:52 @ 20.3 mph 151bpm Lap 3: 8:43 @ 20.6 mph 150bpm Lap 4: 8:02 @ 22.4 mph 150bpm Lap 5: 3:31 @ 21.3 mph 148bpm. (1.25 miles)
Wind: Some
Course: Large rectangle, completely flat always into the wind!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:56
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:07 | 05 kms | 04m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 14/193
Performance:
Mile 1: 7:02 158bpm</p> mile 2: 6:55 164bpm</p> Mile 3: 6:52 167bpm</p>
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-06-15 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Maumee Bay Sprint Triathlon

2014-06-15 8:56 PM
in reply to: #5012596

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Maumee Bay Sprint Triathlon
Outstanding race performance!!!!!

You already know it but I'll say it to you; swimming is the one thing that's keeping you from jumping into being a podium performer at probably most of your races. I have to be honest here, until I was being coached I made excuses for going to the pool. Now, after being given specific days to swim I can't hide from my workouts. I have to get them in on a given schedule, and you know, I have had 2 problems, PERIOD, since throwing the excuses out the window. I'm not trying to be harsh here but finding the time and taking the time can be very different.

Staying in control on the bike probably gave you the run you were looking for. Your run was sick!! Very well played! Negative splitting is a true sign of a very strong fitness. Amal the running you've been doing is paying off in spades!

2014-06-16 11:31 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

NH
First the sunshine - Awesome race. The bike looks incredible, transitions were great, and the run was stupid. To be that close to your open times and then negative split the run says you paced the bike right and you have some serious mental strength. Just a fantastic finish.

Now the tough love - I am glad Dirk chimed in before me because I have the same comments, but they ring a bit more hollow from me! You are at the point where you are no longer just doing this to do it. You are very close to the podium a lot, and you are very strong in the most important discipline - the run. This was evident to me as soon as you started training seriously a few years back, so I'm not surprised. I strongly believe anyone who runs well can become competitive at triathlon and work up to the podium in local races. BUT. At this point it's clear what's going on with you. Consider your overall finishing places - 14, 30, 93. I'm no rocket scientist, but this isn't a mystery. So go get after it in the water. You'll be wearing hardware consistently if you move that 93 to a 40 or less.
2014-06-17 5:32 AM
in reply to: #5012596

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sounds like everything came together on the bike and the run. That's a smoking fast run time after a great bike. I'm sure if you can get some more swim time in you can get your time down by a few minutes at least. Congrats on the great race.
2014-06-17 8:24 AM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt congrats on a great race. The run was pretty incrediable. Any time you can negative split your run like that you know you had a great race. Breaking 7 minutes is pretty sick especially after the bike. You had a great bike ride as well and it sounds like you went pretty hard on the effort. I shouldn't really comment on the swim becuase I'm pretty much in the same boat. I have a lot of room for improvement there and it sounds like you do as well. I think this race shows you that you're not that far off from being a consistent frontrunner in these races. I've no doubt that if you put the time and effort into your swim you'll be on the podium more often. Great race.
2014-06-19 9:27 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Outstanding! I wish I could hit numbers like that.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Maumee Bay Sprint Triathlon

Started by mambos
Views: 1887 Posts: 8

2013-06-19 5:29 AM KWDreamun

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by LukeAT21
Views: 1100 Posts: 1

2008-11-28 5:40 PM LukeAT21

Started by ezfast88
Views: 1552 Posts: 2

2008-06-25 3:58 PM cathrone

Started by EABonney
Views: 1836 Posts: 2

2008-06-23 2:37 PM David tri's

Started by Miker1818
Views: 1300 Posts: 1

2008-06-22 9:23 PM Miker1818
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.