General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Massive cramp Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-06-27 6:10 PM

User image

Warwick, MA
Subject: Massive cramp
I'm racing a Sprint distance in about 13 hours and just had the worst cramp of my life in my right hamstring. At age 54 with a mild heart condition, it scared me, my wife, and son. I've never had so much pain so quickly.

I'm assuming I need to hydrate and stretch. I really don't want this to happen during the race, (or ever again).

Any other suggestions?

2014-06-27 6:20 PM
in reply to: tridale

User image

Subject: RE: Massive cramp
Cramps are usually from overwork, electrolyte imbalance, or dehydration. If you didn't stress the muscle, make sure you have enough water and electrolytes.
2014-06-27 7:46 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mine usually come from over zealous cycling. I scared my in laws once when we were at a restaurant. I felt it coming on and just shoved the table back and leaped up and started to stretch it. If you're anything like me you usually have about a one second warning and if you don't stretch it, you'll be in a world of hurt.

If you're in danger of it happening again as the prior poster stated maintain good fluid balance. Stretching oddly enough for me can actually induce them. I think I just irritate them while stretching and then they jump up and bite during the run. I've heard that there can be an association between how fast you start running and hamstring problems. The first mile may be critical. If I'm in the danger zone I start slow, gradually increase my pace, listen to the muscle, don't over stride, try run upright, and try not to get any "ballistic" motions in my gait.
2014-06-28 4:40 AM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

User image

Warwick, MA
Thanks for the advice. Haven't felt it since last night. I did end up taking electrolytes, heating pad, and massaging it.

I'm not really in the best race shape so I'm just planning on a slower run and finishing the race.

Thanks again
2014-06-28 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Dirt Road
2014-06-30 10:25 AM

New user
So how did the race go? I have had a history of hamstring cramps. Once it hit me literally 20 feet from the finish line of a 1/2 Iron distance. I felt like I had been shot with a deer rifle and went down in a heap. Ended up crawling across the finish line--not my best triathlon moment. Since then, it has happened again, but I find a combination of stretching, strength training, and massages helps keep it at bay.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Massive cramp Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

my MASSIVE swimming gains

Started by czeqm8
Views: 2391 Posts: 18

2010-08-04 12:35 PM corybullock

Massive Bike Pic threads?

Started by a.brasington
Views: 611 Posts: 2

2009-10-18 10:59 PM JoshR

I have a massive bilster now what?

Started by rpm1418
Views: 871 Posts: 10

2007-05-09 2:13 PM vonschnapps

CRAMP.....CRAMP......CRAMP.....

Started by riser
Views: 1169 Posts: 4

2004-11-07 9:59 PM NoisyD

Massive Panic at my Tri today...(happy ending)

Started by crpadiem
Views: 1060 Posts: 14

2004-08-08 9:00 PM jreednd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
As I was pulling my wetsuit off while standing in the water, my left calf cramped such that my foot was pointed, the muscle was rock hard, and I could not pull my foot out of point for 30 seconds.

date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?
date : November 24, 2008
author : EndurancePlanet
Tim got into triathlon when a guy he was working with had a massive heart attack in his late 30's and died. This was Tim's big wakeup call.

date : November 4, 2007
Do you get cramps after exercising? This article discusses 'exercise-associated muscle cramping' including the diagnosis, risk factors and some treatments.
date : September 25, 2007
author : mrakes1
Are you a heavy sweater? Do you finish a race covered in white-streaks? Do you cramp during a race? Than this article is for you.

date : September 17, 2007
Muscle cramps occur in 67% of triathletes. This article discusses several theories on the causes of cramps and what to do if you get one and how to prevent cramps.
date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.

date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.