Sun Multisport Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 19s
Overall Rank = 135/314
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/26
Pre-race routine:

woke up, and had a bagel w/ peanut butter. got my gear together, and family packed up.

got to event site, set up transition. chatted with teammates.

didn't finish my coffee, sipped on nuun elecrtolyte drink.

found out bacteria levels in new bedford harbor were still elevated, swim was cancelled. It was now a Duathlon. very bummed.

had mistimed my morning, got stuck in port o potty line. finished about 10 minutes before wave start.

had clif shots 20 minutes before my start.. Set up Garmin for the duathlon, got it ready for event start, or so I thought.
Event warmup:

grabbed bike off rack, and realized I forgot to put on my bike shoes (this would not be the first time I had mental effort issues) got on bike and did the bike start out and back. felt pretty good. didn't push but was going hard.

re racked bike, took some water, put on sneakers. Did a quick out and back of maybe a 1/4 mile. did some pickups at a faster than race pace. Still felt good.
Run
  • 07m 38s
  • 1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I hate these duathlon's, i never know how to pace myself. This race had the Men40-44 start with the Elites.

I started running at about a 6:40 pace. Had to back way off of that. I wound up doing 7:50 for the remainder.

Very unsure of pacing for this first run. I never know how fast to run. I heard 5k race pace, but not sure if this will cook my legs. So I tried it. It cooks my legs.
What would you do differently?:

Started in the right spot, close to the front. Still not sure of pace for this first run. Since I'm a triathlete and not a duathlete, i'll choose for now to play these by ear depending on event.

Hit the start button on watch, only for nothing to happen. I didn't set it up for multisport mode. I only was at that screen. I practiced that the other day. My mental ability was definetly off today. No idea where my head was.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Kicked off my sneakers, put on my shoes. Put on my sunglasses, and helmet. Hit the lap button for T1, Grabbed my bike, and realized I forgot to put my garmin on my bike clip. I stopped, and had some difficulty putting it on. So considering that, this was a good transition.
Had some problems getting my shoes clipped in. Once I did was fine. Hit the lap button, and realized I was still in run mode. This is when i realized i was not in multisport mode.

Make sure before race, that I put the garmin in multisport mode. I practiced a couple of times before, I did a small brick on friday.It worked fine. Should practice a few more times before Timberman.
Bike
  • 38m 44s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.59 mile/hr
Comments:

had some issues clipping in. couldn't find pedals, again, menatally just not there.

Drinking wise, i felt good. i had about 1/4 of my scratch labs drink. guestimated the distance as the garmin was set to 1 mile laps instead of biking 5 mile laps. My stomach wasn't sloshing around, so I think I drank enough. about half of my aero bottle was gone too.

Felt I could have pushed harder but didn't have it. Not sure what it was. COuldn't tell cadence, so I was going by feel. When I stood up and peddled I had more acceleration. Couldn't put that hammer down in aero position though.

Winds were gusty, I was getting blown around. On the descent on my second loop. I did not need to break going through the turn as a big gust of wind kicked up, and slowed me down.

If I feel I can push when standing, I should be able to push while in aero.

I'm going to get refit in the next two weeks and see if anything has changed.

I felt I could go faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Threw helmet down, slipped on shoes, grabbed my nathan water bottle with nuun, and I was off.

GRAB YOUR GARMIN off the bike.
Run
  • 25m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

realized 500 yards out of transition I forgot my garmin on my bike when I looked down and saw my black wrist band staring back at me. and i wasn't going back for it.

Fairly good run. I got passed by pretty much everyone on the run that hadn't passed me on the bike.

My legs felt torched at this point. I did not have any extra gears. Two of my teammates passed me with about a mile left. I could not keep up with them for more than 100 yards.

I sipped the nuun about every half mile or so. This seemed to work. I'll try this in some of my longer runs and see if it helps.

not much, other than forget Garmin. mentally I was good on the run for the first time.

I am not sure how i seed running. i had a better run at this race than i did at hyannis. by :30/mile. weird. I passed everyone at Hyannis and got passed by no one. here, i got passed by lots, but I can't remember how many i passed.

I felt strong but not fast. I need to get some longer runs in for Timberman. Going to do some hill repeats at work. hopefully this helps.
Post race
Warm down:

ran in with Myles. he got a big cheer from the crowd. he was a little unsure and didn't bolt out like he normally does. he did come out and I had to slow up a bit to let him catch up to me.

walked over and grabbed my garmin as my bike was right next to transition.

grabbed a banana and a bagel. drank water, stretched and walked around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

mental focus was way off. I was drifting on the bike and couldn't focus and find a rythym. forgot my garmin.

need to check my bike fit, schedule a fitting and see if i can get more power.

don't let a cancelled swim ruin my day.

Last updated: 2014-03-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:07:38 | 01 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/26
Overall: 173/314
Performance: Good
Course: one mile loop consisting of part of the second run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:38:44 | 12 miles | 18.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/26
Overall: 150/314
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: a Two loop course with a lollipop turnaround and a 180 degree turnaround.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:00 | 03.1 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/26
Overall: 121/314
Performance: Good
Course: a single loop, out and back down the walking path, then back towards fort tabor, around fort tabor, down the pier and done.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes