Muncie, Indiana
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 7h 07m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 68/88
Pre-race routine:

Arrived to the race site and had dropped off/checked in the bike the day before so I set up my stuff at transition. Found out that the water temp was 74.5 so we were wetsuit legal! Threw on my sleeveless wetsuit and took a short warm-up swim. I had heard that the sun is blinding coming back into shore so I wore my darker lens goggles. Big mistake. It turned out to be very overcast and the googles were too dark. Oh well. There were plenty of bouys to sight off of.
Event warmup:

Short warm up swim and stretching on the beach while waiting for my wave to start. Was in the 5th wave (20 minutes after the first pro wave).
Swim
  • 50m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lots of contact at the start and then it thinned out a bit, only for the men's wave behind me to catch up. Took an elbow to the head and the guys tried to swim over me. Managed to get to the left and had some clear water
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster but this was decent time for me...would have preferred around 2:00/100 but I'm still pleased with this time
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers did a great job. About a quarter mile run from the beach to T1. Threw some powder on my feet and threw on the bike shoes. Granted that it was a long run to transition, but not sure what I did for all that time though. It didn't feel like it took almost 5 minutes

Move faster
Bike
  • 3h 15m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Very short portion of the road that was terrible. Once we made it to hwy 35, road was nice. Planed 15-17mph and was right on pace, had to make a bathroom stop just after mile 35 and the volunteers held my bike for me. Came out of the bathroom and tried to get back on the bike but there was gravel stuck between the tire and the frame. Spent a minute or two picking gravel out so the rear wheel would spin freely. Overall the bike felt good, didn't feel like I pushed the legs too much.

Drink less towards the end of the bike as my stomach felt "sloshy" on the run
Transition 2
  • 05m 54s
Comments:

Once again, not sure what took so long. Did sit down to change my shoes and took time to put on socks.

Move faster. Wear different running shoes. I had been debating on whether or not to wear my Nike Pegasus or my Zoots. I have been using the lots for racing all season and they felt great. I have put it in several longer training runs at home and they felt great. Unfortunately, on race day I was wishing that I had worn the Nikes. I will change this for next year. I was worried that I would end up with lots of water in my shoes from the sponges, sprinklers, etc. and wore the Zoots as they have holes in the soles to drain the shoes. I ended up pretty dry and didn't need the drain holes. I needed the extra support of my Nikes.
Run
  • 2h 51m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off feeling great. Legs felt good. I planned on running 10-11 min miles and after mile 1 I looked at my my garmin and went out for 9:30...too fast. I tried to slow it down. My plan was to run and then walk the aid stations. I think I drank too much water at the aid stations 1-4. My stomach started sloshing. I wasn't drinking any more than usual but the temps were cooler than in training. About mile 5, the hills really got to me. I didn't train enough for the hills. My initial plan of walking the aid stations turned into walking uphill and running down hill. My lower back and hip flexors got very tight but didn't quite cramp. They got so tight that I had to stop several times just to stretch out. I took one GU at mile 4 and had planned to take another at mile 8 but my stomach was sloshing all around so I skipped the GU and sipped a little bit of cola. Somehow made it to the finish but my hope of breaking 7 hours slipped right through my fingers with that run performance.

train more hills!! I think I was so worried about the bike segment that my run training was sub-optimal, especially for the hilly course
Post race
Warm down:

None. Walked to meet the family, sat down on the ice chest and headed back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training

Event comments:

Fantastic volunteers. They had almost more volunteers than racers! Great support. Overall happy to complete my first 70.3 but disappointed in my run. Trained to run 10-11minute miles and completely fell apart on the hills

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-03-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:53 | 2112 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/88
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Clockwise rectangle, beach entry and exit
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:15:23 | 56 miles | 17.20 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Out and back with a partial second loop
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:51:09 | 13.1 miles | 13m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back. HILLY!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-07-14 1:30 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

2014-07-14 1:42 PM
in reply to: #5025519

User image

Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Congrats! Great performance.

You're not alone. The run was a lot hillier than I had expected, too.

2014-07-16 8:25 PM
in reply to: #5025519

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job on your first HIM! That run course is a bit challenging; are you going back next year for revenge?
2014-07-21 10:11 AM
in reply to: wbattaile

User image

During the run, I was thinking that there was no way that I would go back for this race again. Mind you that this was all due to the hills on the run course. The staff and volunteers were awesome! It was truly a great race and a good time for all. Now that it' all over, I want REVENGE. I thought that my training was on par...and it was for the swimming and the biking but I need to find someplace for hill training for the run. I plan to be back next year and hope to be able to take an hour (at least) off my time after that horrible run time this year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muncie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by miyutris
Views: 2442 Posts: 7

2011-07-10 7:48 PM wallico

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by beadams
Views: 2126 Posts: 3

2011-07-10 7:41 PM Oldteen

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by marathongirl11
Views: 2441 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 4:41 PM jillian_o

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by
Views: 1057 Posts: 1

2011-07-10 8:18 AM

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by brendon_moody
Views: 2875 Posts: 7

2013-01-05 7:24 PM MFConlon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.