General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Houston / Katy area - Neighborhood Recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-16 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: Moving to Houston / Katy area - Neighborhood Recommendations

I'm moving from Plano to Houston in a few weeks.  My job is in the Energy Corridor.  Are there any recommendations (or warnings) for a neighborhood in or near the Energy Corridor?  It's just me and my wife so schools aren't a consideration.

2014-07-16 3:03 PM
in reply to: tmueller

Subject: RE: Moving to Houston / Katy area - Neighborhood Recommendations
Just curious...how old are you?

Katy area is pretty family oriented (younger and older families), closer to downtown is more of a younger crowd.

Katy is nice (and has plenty of training opportunities) but you will still have a commute to the HWY6 area in heavy traffic. I think most of the neighborhoods around HWY6 are ok, just not as modern as the ones closer to Katy.

My wife and I moved just outside of downtown about 2 years ago (East Montrose). We don't fit into the "younger crowd" category but we were both sick of the long commutes we had. My job relocated me to the energy corridor so I commute to the same area but it is against traffic and I can get on the toll road for a total of $1.60/day. Well worth it to stay out of traffic. Downtown area has more to do but would be a bit more expensive.
2014-07-16 4:09 PM
in reply to: houtexan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by houtexan Just curious...how old are you? Katy area is pretty family oriented (younger and older families), closer to downtown is more of a younger crowd. Katy is nice (and has plenty of training opportunities) but you will still have a commute to the HWY6 area in heavy traffic. I think most of the neighborhoods around HWY6 are ok, just not as modern as the ones closer to Katy. My wife and I moved just outside of downtown about 2 years ago (East Montrose). We don't fit into the "younger crowd" category but we were both sick of the long commutes we had. My job relocated me to the energy corridor so I commute to the same area but it is against traffic and I can get on the toll road for a total of $1.60/day. Well worth it to stay out of traffic. Downtown area has more to do but would be a bit more expensive.

Thanks for your reply. I'm pushing 50 but act much younger according to my wife.  I see neighborhoods buily in the 70's and 80's while searching around HWY6 area.  I didn't know if these were generally safe.  What's the commute time from East Montrose?

2014-07-17 8:21 AM

It takes me about 30 minutes each way. But at least I am moving the entire time.
2014-07-18 8:47 AM
in reply to: 0

Edited by tri3forme 2014-07-18 8:49 AM
2014-07-18 9:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
It really depends on what you want out of your living area. The farther west you go (generally speaking) you get a bigger, possibly newer house for less money. Like the previous gentleman said, the closer in to town you go, houses are all over the board as far as new/old, but either way prices go WAY UP. I also live inside the loop in the Heights area( I got lucky and bought just before prices soared). Like Montrose, it is an active neighborhood with many jogging and biking trails. I grew up in Katy, but have lived inside the loop for the last 17 years. I personally would never move back out into the burbs, but that's just me, many people love it out there, it just isn't my cup of tea. What do you like to go, other than triathlon? Do you prefer to live in a place where you are around tons of new and nice restaurants and strip malls, or old artsy, but still nice. Do you like traffic? Get used to it in Houston. Working in the energy corridor, you can A) fight traffic to and from work by living in the city or B) have a little less traffic living close to work, but from what I see, it seems like the traffic never ends at night out on the west side. Every time I visit friends out there, the streets are crowded all the time. Contrary to popular belief, the streets "in town" kind of free up once everyone goes home out west after work, at least in the Heights. As far as training goes, Houston has a nice sized tri community with people all over, in all parts of town who train and compete. You shouldn't have any problems finding a tri buddy who lives down the street from wherever you move it.

Wherever you move, I welcome you to Houston, and hope you find a place that you love, the beauty of Houston, is that other than natural landscape beauty, we have pretty much EVERYTHING else to offer... well.. we don't have the safest cycling streets, but you will find that out soon enough.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot away.

Justin

Edited by toodamnbroke 2014-07-18 9:53 AM

2014-07-18 3:54 PM
in reply to: toodamnbroke

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas

Thanks for the reply Justin.  I'll be down next week looking at neighborhoods and the replies here have given me an idea of where to look.  I'm in Houston on business 4-5 times a month so I've seen the traffic and climate.  I just don't know the neighborhoods.

2014-07-18 4:02 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Well hopefully you have at bare minimum had a chance to experience some of the good food that we have to offer. The real reason why I do tri's... to support my eating habit!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Houston / Katy area - Neighborhood Recommendations Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running Stores in the Katy (Houston) area?

Started by reecealan
Views: 518 Posts: 3

2014-05-15 9:48 AM reecealan

Looking for a Youth swim coach for NW Houston neighborhood team

Started by DPMunny
Views: 740 Posts: 1

2013-01-18 11:46 AM DPMunny

Ortho recommendations in Houston area?

Started by ligersandtions
Views: 975 Posts: 4

2012-07-24 12:29 PM ligersandtions

swimming Katy/Richmond area

Started by dblbogy
Views: 1737 Posts: 7

2010-08-07 10:00 PM TexasMPGal

Puddle for the Ducks. (Katy/Houston)

Started by fattyfatfat
Views: 1676 Posts: 13

2010-02-11 6:03 AM craigvars
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Don't power through your off season! Rest and take it easy. Our doctors tell you why rest is important, how long to rest, and what training and exercises you should be doing.

date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.
date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.
date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.