General Discussion Triathlon Talk » About to start PhD program. Take a break from triathlon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-19 8:10 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: About to start PhD program. Take a break from triathlon?
Starting my PhD in August. For those who have a doctorate / are currently getting one: should I just put triathlon on hold for the next few years?

I was thinking I should stop racing, and even posted my tri bike on craigslist. Then I arrived to my new home (Washington) and the roads look AWESOME for riding! I'm torn...

2014-07-19 8:20 PM
in reply to: steveseer

User image

Subject: RE: About to start PhD program. Take a break from triathlon?
Are you doing your PhD full time, or working as well? If the former, I would say you should absolutely maintain your tri activities for a little downtime and for something else to change gears to. If you're going to be working as well (like I did when I was doing my Masters), then it'll be tougher.
2014-07-19 8:36 PM
in reply to: #5027972

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Honestly, after getting mine, I'd skip the PhD and keep tri!

Really though, being active will benefit you through stress relief and keeping you sane by giving you something else to think about besides your project.

2014-07-19 8:54 PM
in reply to: surroundhound

Depends on whether you'll be working (actual job or adjunct/TA) in addition to taking classes and researching/writing your dissertation. Also, depends on the field you're in. I know for some of my friends having an outside activity, especially a physical one, was a godsend while they were (and some still are) working towards their PhD. That said, most were in the humanities and I know that the sciences can be different.

I think it really depends on you. I know personally I wouldn't be able to, because I'm not the best at time management and I really like sleeping.
2014-07-19 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Are house on ST? Send a PM TO Tigerchik. She is a PHD student in Oregon.
2014-07-20 12:36 AM
in reply to: #5027978

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
As my form name may reveal I can speak for the sciences! I'm finishing up my 2nd year in chemistry PhD but I am a beginner triathlete. However, I have been running since junior year in college. When I started my 1st semester it was difficult to keep up my running schedule and I ended up signing up for a HM but did not race because I was putting a lot of time into my new "job" as a chemistry graduate student. When the spring semester came around I got back into the groove of things and did a few races and finally the HM I bailed on the year before. However once you get through your first 1.5 years at least in chemistry you have you're comprehensive exam which decides if you move on to be a PhD candidate so that semester I went cold turkey and I have just started to get back into things this summer albeit an ankle injury. I wish I had the time to have kept up my running in my 1st and 4th semesters in grad school but t was difficult with my other commitments. Could I have if I REALLY tried probably but depending on your advisor it can be difficult. I am not trying to discourage you from doing tris but I definitely fell off the band wagon and yeah it sucked in so many ways but in the end I'm through the rough patch for now until the defense so I can put more time into training. I guess I have just done training and races when my schedule permits me. I wish you well and I hope you're able to budget your time better than I did!

2014-07-20 1:29 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
I just finished a program (graduating in 2 weeks) in business that took way too long (7 years) but I've been an instructor at another university the past 2 years. I didn't start running and doing tris until the 3rd or 4th year of graduate school when I realized I packed on a few too many pounds to be acceptable to myself. Going through the actual dissertation stage, running was probably one of the things that helped keep me sane. Personally, I think half the battle of successfully finishing a phd is keeping yourself sane and not quitting. Anything that will help keep your mind right will help you complete it imo.
2014-07-20 8:02 AM
in reply to: csikes

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Just finished my Masters last year, I know it's not as full on as a PhD, but at the same time I worked 60+ hour weeks. Tri training kept me sane. Sprints might e all you can manage but it's good to have an outlet and be able to turn your brain off and just S/B/R even if it is only for 30 minutes a day.
2014-07-20 8:09 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

And don't forget WX "One shot at Kona" who is/was also a grad student. I started triathlon in my 3rd year of veterinary school. I needed to- I felt better physically and mentally. Only did sprints but so glad I did.
2014-07-20 8:55 AM
in reply to: winsome

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

I have more degrees than a thermometer and have stayed active through most of them.  Looking back on the one time (about 2 years of med school) that I didn't, I had less energy and didn't feel as energetic - but that could also have been med school...

Those 2 years were the only time that I really couldn't balance kids/school/work/exercise the way I wanted, and it was fitness that lost the prioritization battle, but otherwise it fit in at least at some level.  Certainly couldn't have been super-competitive, but enough that I could go play around with running races or just nice training runs.

The PhD was the most flexible time for me.  Although I had taken a long hiatus from triathlon by that point, I had plenty of time (between experiments, etc.) to work out (mostly running back then).  

If you like exercise, being fit, even competing, I'd say try to stay active in it, and tri is a nice "balancer" despite what everyone says about us being unbalanced!  

Even if you're not potting podium spots in your races, at least you'll have the endorphin bump of being active!  

Matt

2014-07-20 9:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I did my Ph.D. many years ago before I was a runner/triathlete (also in Chemistry like ChemNerd). Yes, it took a lot of time, but I still had time to pursue hobbies. You really have to do something to preserve your sanity, and if triathlon is your joy, don't give it up. You might decide you can't do 15 hours/week to train for an ironman, but you certainly don't have to give it up completely. For me personally, if I was starting a Ph.D. program now I would probably continue distance running but not necessarily triathlon, but it sounds like you love the riding too. Keep doing it.

I have triathlete friends (even some that train for ironman) that have full-time jobs and small kids at home, and I think their time demands are way higher than mine were when I was in grad school. My husband is a Ph.D. supervisor (also in chemistry) and has a student who is training for half-ironman races, and eventually wants to do an ironman. Others do other hobbies like skiing and hiking-- most of the good ones do something (many people move to this area because they love the outdoors). There are also those that spend many hours partying-- you probably can't do both.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-07-20 9:41 AM

2014-07-20 9:45 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I have a PhD and am currently a college professor. I think that tri training is an awesome way to cut stress and keep your body capable of both the physical and mental demands required of someone working in academia. By all means, I would continue with the training, travel to races might be a bit of a stretch in terms of time and money.

One thing to remember as you embark on a doctorate is that, despite what may be thought widely amongst the public, we have trained WAY, WAY too many PhDs in the USA in the last couple of decades. This stems from a number of factors such as transient government investment, university attempts to maintain or increase their rankings, etc. The effect is that there is hardly any discipline that is just frankly not overpopulated with PhDs. Sluggish growth in not for profit academic and private sectors has now made a glut. We have some outstanding post-doctoral fellows that now have little hope of finding jobs in the top echelons of their field. I don't want to discourage anyone from seeking a doctorate, I have a great job and want the next generation of scientists to enjoy the career I have, just be well aware that to continue in the profession at the top or near top markets will require the necessity that you distinguish yourself. This will require significant amounts of sheer hard work and dedication. Having a PhD alone is not a ticket to anything.

Good luck
2014-07-20 6:06 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
PhD, grad school, full time job, night school, it's all the same. You will always be faced with balancing any hobby with your daddy to day responsibilities whether school/work or anything else.

Get your bike off craigslist and start riding...maybe just a little bit less.
2014-07-20 6:44 PM

User image

Tucson, AZ, Arizona

I just finished my doctorate in May 2014 and I had no time to do anything but study while I was completing it...............but then I was also working........

Will you be working as well???

Carolina

2014-07-20 8:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

I am in the Management program, concentrating in strategy/statistics. So probably not as time consuming as most sciences, but I won't really know until it begins. I will be a TA and have to teach to maintain my tuition waiver and stipend. I'm told this will take ~20hrs per week. No other real job outside of the university.

Edited by steveseer 2014-07-20 8:16 PM
2014-07-20 8:51 PM
in reply to: #5027972

Why not just scale back your goals, train when you can, and see how it goes? I was not into triathlon yet when I was working on my doctorate, but I had a baby during school and started running about a year after he was born. You might be surprised at how much time you have, and training at least a few hours a week will probably help keep you sane.

2014-07-21 4:19 PM

I completed my PhD in 2011.

Here are a couple of questions for you:

Are you working while getting your PhD or going to school full time?
What are you going to get your PhD in and what school are you attending?
If it is an online school do you have to participate in any residencies?

2014-07-21 7:55 PM

That sounds like you have selected an interesting program. A good way to tell what opportunities exist in the academic field is to routinely check sites like the Chronicle of Higher Ed and see what types of teaching positions are listed.

I worked full time and my hobbies were not affected until I completed comps and started the dissertation. Once I started the dissertation I had less free time.
2014-07-21 8:24 PM
in reply to: #5028236

User image

Veteran
I have my doctorate and am in private practice as a clinical psychologist. I spend more time now working full time and managing my practice coupled with familial duties while training than I did in my course work. I wish I was back in grad school.
2014-07-21 8:47 PM
in reply to: #5028788

User image

Veteran
Bessemer, AL
I have my PhD in mechanical engineering. Like others have said, there's a big difference between being a full time grad student and being a full time grad student plus. Will you be a TA, RA, or a job? It won't be impossible if you have that plus, but it will be harder. Still I wouldn't get rid of the bike. Ride, run, and swim as you can. Do sprints when you can. It'll keep you sane. Good luck!
2014-07-21 9:52 PM
in reply to: rach_1623

User image

Champion
Finished medical school last year and currently in residency--Have continued to train/compete throughout to variable levels. Get that bike off craigslist. Everything is a balance and sometimes you can do more, sometimes less. 6mo ago I was having trouble committing because of my work schedule but things settle down for periods and now I'm thinking about my third ironman at some point.

2014-07-21 11:45 PM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Originally posted by Brian W

PhD, grad school, full time job, night school, it's all the same. You will always be faced with balancing any hobby with your daddy to day responsibilities whether school/work or anything else.

Get your bike off craigslist and start riding...maybe just a little bit less.

Well written! Get the bike off Craigslist. Lots of sprint triathlons around WA. Do not take a break. I took a break and regret it. Have fun!
2014-07-22 8:49 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by steveseer Starting my PhD in August. For those who have a doctorate / are currently getting one: should I just put triathlon on hold for the next few years? I was thinking I should stop racing, and even posted my tri bike on craigslist. Then I arrived to my new home (Washington) and the roads look AWESOME for riding! I'm torn...

Why not find a balance? I think keeping physically fit is essential to one's mental health - keeps stress levels down! Why not focus on sprints and swim 1 day a week, bike 2-3 days a week and run 3 days a week? You can combine some of those workouts so it doesn't take too much time. And if you are only doing sprints you don't NEED to go out for 3 hour bike rides, etc. 

2014-07-22 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
In my program, we played around with a study on stress management for doctoral students for a stats class.

The irrefutable evidence is that we all needed to focus on more exercise and sex.
2014-07-22 5:04 PM

User image

Phoenix AZ
During coursework it would have been tough to train as often as I do now (8-10 hrs per week) and maintain a social and family life.

After I passed comps and was ABD, I seemed to have all the time in the world. Just had to be more disciplined about how to schedule everything.

Now that I have the PhD, I teach full time, still find time to research and write, and train and maintain a family life. A social life, not so much...but that's the first thing to suffer when you're hitting the sack at 8pm for those early-morning rides.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » About to start PhD program. Take a break from triathlon? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Chrissie Wellington taking a break from Ironman in 2012 Pages: 1 2

Started by TriSte
Views: 4376 Posts: 50

2012-01-17 2:53 PM Fred D

Taking breaks on long rides

Started by xine2kgts
Views: 1667 Posts: 22

2011-06-22 11:02 AM xine2kgts

Perhaps a silly question about taking a break

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 1626 Posts: 16

2010-12-14 2:03 PM [email protected]

Guilt - taking a break.

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 772 Posts: 3

2009-08-07 11:45 AM blackledge

Training and taking breaks

Started by Bradford
Views: 700 Posts: 5

2005-07-20 5:19 PM nliedel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2014
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I now find that after sitting for long periods of time during the day for two hours or so my knees are very stiff and weak when I then try to move them. Do I need to take better care of my knees?

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.