General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hy-Vee Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-23 4:30 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: Hy-Vee Triathlon : Official Thread
Just signed up for this race and am wondering if anyone that has done it in the past has any advice for race morning since I'm not familiar with this race at all.

2014-07-24 12:51 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: RE: Hy-Vee Triathlon : Official Thread
Originally posted by buckeyeguy77

Just signed up for this race and am wondering if anyone that has done it in the past has any advice for race morning since I'm not familiar with this race at all.

I too am doing this race for the first time and would be curious for any past words of wisdom other could pass along (this is my first tri).
2014-07-24 3:58 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

great swim course, usually pretty calm water. The bike course has one pretty steep hill about 5 miles in and then its rolling hills the rest of the course. Nothing too tough. The run is a down and back that is almost perfectly flat. Its a great race.
2014-07-24 4:00 PM
in reply to: jveenstra0626

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Originally posted by jveenstra0626

great swim course, usually pretty calm water. The bike course has one pretty steep hill about 5 miles in and then its rolling hills the rest of the course. Nothing too tough. The run is a down and back that is almost perfectly flat. Its a great race.

What about race morning logistics? Where is the best place to park and for my support crew to watch from?

It's all a little confusing because there is the Elite Cup, then the Championship, then the Age group race, which is what I'm in.
2014-07-25 10:39 AM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Parking is all right by the race. They have huge gravel parking just next to the course. It did take quite awhile to get into the parking last year, probably about 30 minutes. Both transitions are in the same spot and everything takes place right around the "lake". They bring in grandstands by the finish line, otherwise you can walk along the course pretty easily. My wife had no problems going around the lake with our two young kids.

The transition is on the opposite side of the lake, so you walk around from transition to the swim start (about a half mile). Fans can be right on the beach to watch the swim start and then walk around to the exit/transition. Fans can watch pretty much anywhere along the bike and run as well. They can also park "downtown" and walk to portions of the run course and also the lake is only about a mile or two from the downtown area.

The pros go off first and then the elite cup and then the age groupers. The pros start I believe hour and 15 before the age groupers. Last year the pros were coming in on the bike by the time I started in the water and had finished by the time I was out of the water, which kind of sticks because I didnt get to watch them much.

The road does close to the parking from the North at like 6:30 or something like that because the race uses a portion of it. I believe you can still get into parking from the South.

I felt it was very convenient and easy to get around. No shuttles, same transition, everything centering around the lake.
2014-07-25 12:30 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by jveenstra0626

Parking is all right by the race. They have huge gravel parking just next to the course. It did take quite awhile to get into the parking last year, probably about 30 minutes. Both transitions are in the same spot and everything takes place right around the "lake". They bring in grandstands by the finish line, otherwise you can walk along the course pretty easily. My wife had no problems going around the lake with our two young kids.

The transition is on the opposite side of the lake, so you walk around from transition to the swim start (about a half mile). Fans can be right on the beach to watch the swim start and then walk around to the exit/transition. Fans can watch pretty much anywhere along the bike and run as well. They can also park "downtown" and walk to portions of the run course and also the lake is only about a mile or two from the downtown area.

The pros go off first and then the elite cup and then the age groupers. The pros start I believe hour and 15 before the age groupers. Last year the pros were coming in on the bike by the time I started in the water and had finished by the time I was out of the water, which kind of sticks because I didnt get to watch them much.

The road does close to the parking from the North at like 6:30 or something like that because the race uses a portion of it. I believe you can still get into parking from the South.

I felt it was very convenient and easy to get around. No shuttles, same transition, everything centering around the lake.

Thanks for the information! Glad to hear the course is fun! I have a hotel about 2-3 miles from the lake location, do you think it would be better to just bike to the race versus messing with parking? Also, would you advise setting up your transition on Saturday versus race morning? Thanks!

2014-07-25 5:07 PM

User image

Bike check-in is mandatory for everyone but professionals the day before, so you wouldn't be able to bike down unless you brought a second bike. Biking would certainly be easier though! Your hotel may have a shuttle that could bring you as well which would speed it up a lot.

Since your bike is already checked-in I wouldn't see a reason to set up transition the day before.
2014-07-30 7:47 PM
in reply to: #5029683

User image

I've done the AG and 5150 Nationals both. Good race, pretty flat course, great venue, decent expo. Let me know if you have questions. I live 20 minutes from the lake.
2014-07-30 10:27 PM
in reply to: #5032993

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I'm not an elite racer so I should be able to bike from my hotel the morning of and setup my transition right? Just want to know ahead of time if this is not possible so I can plan parking into my morning schedule. Also what kind of nutrition do they offer on the course? It's my first tri so I'll probably stash some stuff in the bike bag and snag something for the run. Do you think there will be a race belt (bib and small item holder) for sale at the expo or should I just get one online ahead of time? I'm looking forward to attending the expo to see what goodies they have to offer. If anyone else is new to this race like me I did find a YouTube video of a guy who walks through all of the "swag" from the race. I'm so amped for the free backpack (I need a swim / transition bag) and the running visor (mines super old).
2014-07-31 9:21 AM
in reply to: #5033052

User image

You normally have to check your bike in the afternoon/evening PRIOR to race morning. Biking to the start won't be an option. Sorry. Parking hasn't been too bad in the past, though. There SHOULD be a race belt at the expo but i would probably buy it on advance if you can. You just never know. Nutrition- in the past they've had water, sports drink, and gels. Plenty of aid stations. Good luck and have fun!
2014-08-16 8:29 PM
in reply to: #5033158

User image

I was just given a free registration for the AG race, so I guess I am racing too! I qualified for the 5150 but it was pricey and I am training for IMFL so not feeling very fast right now!

2014-08-16 10:21 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by midwesttrimom

I was just given a free registration for the AG race, so I guess I am racing too! I qualified for the 5150 but it was pricey and I am training for IMFL so not feeling very fast right now!

Free registration, go you! The price tag of $100 seems steep but from what I have researched, it seems like a worthwhile experience. Super excited for Hy-vee and counting down the days to my first triathlon, woot woot! Good luck with your training for IMFL!
2014-08-17 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
How big is the race - # of people? How big are swim waves? What is weather usually? Expected wetsuit or non? Is the bike technical - heard the descent toward the end is not one we can just fly down? Aid station on bike? How many on the run?

Sorry for all the questions ... Never done it either
2014-08-18 12:18 PM
in reply to: carrie639

User image

Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by carrie639

How big is the race - # of people? ~400

How big are swim waves? Depends on age group...~20-50

What is weather usually? Varies over the years.

Expected wetsuit or non? Usually not

Is the bike technical - heard the descent toward the end is not one we can just fly down? Not technical, but there are two hairy sections. The first is about 5 miles out from the end. There is a 90 degree turn on the big hill you hit on the way out...I saw a couple people barely stay on the road ahead of me, so I saw it coming. The second is 400 yards before you enter the park because the road is narrowed due to people finishing their run. As I finished my race I ran by a guy down on the ground because he hit the curb on my side (east) of the road. Don't worry, there were plenty of people helping him...I didn't just blow by .

Aid station on bike? I don't remember any

How many on the run? 4+

Sorry for all the questions ... Never done it either
2014-08-18 1:50 PM
in reply to: kchawknut

User image

Depending on how you view the race, the # of participants varies. In just the age group section, there were more than 800 last year. Add another 600 in the US Championships and 60 in the pro race, and there are about 1500.

The swim is a time trial rolling start, letting in 3 people every 10 seconds, so the wave size really doesn't matter. Its really a great way to start.

It is usually pretty close on wetsuit. Last year was non-legal, but the handful of years prior were legal. It is going to be close this year.

The bike course is as described. No aid station, but a bike tech at the turn around. Several tight turns, but also some wide open rolling hill stretches.

The run is a simple down and back course, very flat with lot of aid. More than half of it is on a bike/run paved trail, so it can get crowded.
2014-08-18 2:53 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by jssvnstr

The swim is a time trial rolling start, letting in 3 people every 10 seconds, so the wave size really doesn't matter. Its really a great way to start.

Was it that way for the 2013 open tri? The 2013 US Championship was a mass wave start of ~20-50 (each wave/age group).

2014-08-18 3:37 PM

User image

Yeah for the Age Group races, it was the rolling TT start. I must not have been paying attention to the US Championship starts.
2014-08-18 7:22 PM
in reply to: jssvnstr

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
OK so there are a few tight turns on the bike, noted. Nice to know ahead of time that's how they are timing the swim starts. I'm excited to see my swim wave time, as I've been checking the website every few days to get a plan for race morning. Thanks for the information everyone!
2014-08-18 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Any idea when the swim waves will be posted?
How do the times vary? How long will it take to get everyone started in their races? I know ITU Chicago which had a ton more, was starting people all throughout the day … hope that is not the case.
2014-08-19 9:16 AM

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Regarding a bike aid station, last year Gumby and another costumed guy were handing out cans of beer on the climb 5 miles into the bike course. It might cost you an 'outside assistance' penalty though, so you should weigh the benefits relative to your goals. Unfortunately all I got was a high-5.
2014-08-19 10:07 AM
in reply to: mikec123

User image

Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by mikec123

Regarding a bike aid station, last year Gumby and another costumed guy were handing out cans of beer on the climb 5 miles into the bike course. It might cost you an 'outside assistance' penalty though, so you should weigh the benefits relative to your goals. Unfortunately all I got was a high-5.

I wasn't sure Gumby himself wasn't sipping the sauce, so I avoided the "Gumby Five" assuming Gumby might end up in my spokes!

2014-08-19 12:40 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by carrie639

Any idea when the swim waves will be posted?
How do the times vary? How long will it take to get everyone started in their races? I know ITU Chicago which had a ton more, was starting people all throughout the day … hope that is not the case.

Looks like they may be close to posting the swim waves. On the website it has the picture icon but I cannot click it.....
2014-08-19 2:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Overland Park, KS

Edited by kchawknut 2014-08-19 2:53 PM
2014-08-19 2:52 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by ChemNerd23

Looks like they may be close to posting the swim waves. On the website it has the picture icon but I cannot click it.....

Better yet, they posted the start lists:
http://www.hy-veetriathlon.com/athlete-information/2014-hy-vee-tria...

So you can check out your competition!
2014-08-20 10:58 AM

User image

This is a very organized race so don't worry too much. I want to say it seemed like lots more people than 400. If you count all the events I was thinking it was more like 1500-2000 participants?? Could be wrong. I have done this race every year except one (may have been pregnant or something) and it's always a good set-up. They have switched venues a couple of times but always first-class. Since I live in the area I think it's a bit over-hyped but as a first-timer you should love it. They have great swag and volunteers are amazing! It really involves the entire community. Here are a few things I recall:

- Parking is convenient but time consuming
-Getting your bike out of transition can be a PAIN and you may have to wait so read instructions
-Time Trial start for age groupers ROCKS (so much easier), but the mass start for Championship race can be pretty tight
-Lots of waiting around for age groupers (I haven't done the age group race in over 2 years so will be back there again this year)
-Expo is so-so. Could be much better but I've had some great luck finding deals on 1-piece suits, wetsuits, etc. there in the past. Bring
your $$ just in case!
-Dropping your bike off the night before can be a bit intimidating the first time, but once you do it you actually feel a bit less stressed because
that's one less thing you have to worry about.

Bad news- last year it stormed the night before so when I got to transition all the bikes were knocked over and mine was pummeled. Someones pedal went right through my HED Jet spoke and I panicked. It was fine but I my tired popped loudly about 2 minutes after I got it untangled. Had to do a last-minute tire fix and had NO MONEY. Borrowed from a super nice triathlete from out of state and she left before I could pay her back! I still want to pay her back. She saved my race!!! Pack a few bucks in your transition bag (I will always do that now).

Good luck to all of you. I am seriously going to have a slow race after all this IMFL training. I haven't done as much speed as normal. Have a feeling it will seem short, but my legs don't know how to do anything very fast these days. Hoping to gain some of that speed back as my peak weeks come into play (wishful thinking??). If you need anything else let me know. I am 15 minutes from Gray's Lake- the venue.

Des Moines is a great city- full of culture that you would not expect from a "small town". Traffic is not too busy, but just right! We are a pretty artsy community so if you stay in town check out the sculpture park downtown and some of the other attractions. Gray's Lake is absolutely BEAUTIFUL at night, as well. (Oh, and early in the morning.) Great restaurants downtown include Django (wonderful French Bistro and no corking fee so bring your own bottle of wine (or 2), Centro (Italian cuisine and nice environment), lots of good bar and grill choices, and several other Italian
and American options.

Most of all, have fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hy-Vee Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Hy-Vee Triathlon 5150 U.S. Championship : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Mike J
Views: 5495 Posts: 39

2012-09-08 11:03 AM flip18436572

Hy-Vee Triathlon - 5150 U.S. Championship : Official Thread

Started by tuwood
Views: 4731 Posts: 18

2011-11-28 3:58 PM RushTogether

Hy-Vee Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by douglasschaefer
Views: 15401 Posts: 130

2010-06-14 9:18 PM Sprint_DA

Hy-Vee Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by douglasschaefer
Views: 2214 Posts: 2

2009-05-31 6:50 PM Swee

Hy-Vee Triathlon Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by tri-dg
Views: 13886 Posts: 170

2008-06-23 9:34 AM lastcall2003
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.