Race Day Events
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 45m 52s
Overall Rank = 2/241
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Last warmup before Nationals... just going out to keep all the rust off the gears.

Normal routine, got up and had breakfast, finished packing everything in the car and waited for Jenny to arrive. Then we took the short ride over to the venue. Despite living quite close and being there pretty early, transition was already packed, with all prime spots taken. I racked on the frontmost rack a few spots down. Got marked and my spot set up... then began the warmup.
Event warmup:

Started off with a solid run. About a mile and a half on the course, just getting a feel for some of the hills. Back to transition and off to get some time on the bike. My new (steel) fork made a nice squeel every time I turned (fork+skewer... had to get some anti-seize to quieten it down) but it felt good. Got back to transition and my spot had been taken (despite me clearly marking it with my stuff and a shirt over the spot my bike should have fit.) I grumble but nobody is around and I'm not the kind of person to just shove somebody's stuff around, (and my spot had already sucked) so I just move my area down a few feet. Then it's into the pool for a few laps and in line for the swim start.
Swim
  • 02m 55s
  • 200 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Short and sweet. Cut 4 seconds off of last years time so I suppose I was moderately happy with that. However I gave up 30" to some of the faster guys, which is a mountain of time in a swim this short.
What would you do differently?:

I need to fix whatever bit of issue I have with my stroke and make sure all of my time in the water is quality. That's an unbelievable loss of time in so short of a swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

T1 is a very long run from the pool to transition. I picked up 7 seconds from my time last year :/ Primarily due to having to fight with getting my bike out of my transition spot and running around the racks. I step on and take off, narrowly missing being taken out by a rogue competitor trying to get clipped in. As transition exits on a hill, I waited until cresting it to worry about getting into my shoes.

Get a better spot in T1
Bike
  • 23m 4s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 24.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I smoked the bike course last year and paid for it on the run. My goal this year was to take it easier, but still put out a good pace.

Once again on the rough pavement I nearly lost my torhans aero straw. I jammed it back on three times (and when I got home drilled a hole through it to bolt it on. permanently...take that) which broke my rhythm and just generally annoyed the crap out of me.

The steel fork was fine, not any more noticeable road vibration.

I passed a couple of people, eventually working my way into what I figured was an excellent position (hard to tell in a tt start) and start getting out of my shoes for t2. At the last turn the pavement was VERY bumpy... I hit it full speed and very nearly eat it when my foot slides off my shoe. I recover and it's into T2 I go.

I could have turned up the pace a bit more. I was overly conservative in regards to not repeating last year.

:51 slower than 2013
Transition 2
  • 00m 31s
Comments:

I come into T2 hot, which is probably not the smartest thing to do since there are still a LOT of people starting out on the bike. I still gave up a good bit of time somewhere unfortunately (probably again part of my sucky transition spot) but I can't think of anything overly boneheaded I did.

Hurry it up?
Run
  • 18m 22s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was to take it easy and move into a steady pace after the first mile. I executed fairly well I think, and although my run wasn't setting any trails on fire, it was fairly good for me... and I didn't walk ;)

Still don't have the late game kick I need in my run :/

I suppose more speed work is in my future.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a coke and just chilled out talking to some of the guys.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming and Running speed... taking it a little too conservatively on the bike.

Event comments:

Cookout still isn't my idea of post race food, but if hot dogs & hamburgers are your thing then they put on a full spread :)

RDE always has a great race, this was no exception.

Last updated: 2014-08-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:02:55 | 200 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 12/241
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: snake pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:23:04 | 9.32 miles | 24.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 2/241
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: For this area a fairly flat course. Some rough parts of road and some train tracks to cross, but nothing especially treacherous.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:22 | 03 miles | 06m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 9/241
Performance: Good
Course: Out and up through the greenbelt. Actually pretty hilly, especially at the beginning/mid sections, along with some off roading towards the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-08-04 9:02 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Springbrook Sprint Triathlon

2014-08-06 1:25 PM
in reply to: #5034644

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Springbrook Sprint Triathlon
nice run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Springbrook Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Springbrook Sprint Triathlon

Started by Leegoocrap
Views: 2424 Posts: 7

2010-08-11 12:46 PM Leegoocrap

Started by doliver0102
Views: 1297 Posts: 1

2009-08-16 5:20 PM doliver0102

Started by TerryW
Views: 1655 Posts: 1

2008-08-14 9:57 AM TerryW

Started by djallen22
Views: 1337 Posts: 1

2008-08-11 6:57 AM djallen22

Started by TerryW
Views: 1053 Posts: 1

2007-08-16 7:56 PM TerryW
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.