United States
Set-up Inc
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 8s
Overall Rank = 147/184
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 16/18
Pre-race routine:

Brief shower to wake up. Final check over the check list. Ate half a bagel with peanut butter and a glass of orange juice. Took the other half of the bagel and bottle of water for the road.
Event warmup:

um...not much of one. Brief jog to warm up and stretch out. A bit too overwhelmed with making sure my transition area was good, and I had taken care of everything. I missed the pool warm up.
Swim
  • 05m 47s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was a bit chaotic being in the pool. I was worried most about this leg due to my weak swimming. I got in, the official counted down and I was off. It was somewhat of a blur. I just tried to make sure I was pacing myself and it worked. I was winded, and about the time I was going to pull up for a little breast stroke I couldn't because of the congestion. So, I just stood up. Nice excuse for a breather I thought. I miss judged my time when I reported it. Now I have more of a gage. Deanna (the girl in front)of me was a first timer as well. I caught her and was probably a little too ambitious as I went to pass her, b/c the next lap she repaid the favor. Over all decent experience for the first.
What would you do differently?:

Not really a whole lot I feel I couldve done differently except change my estimated time. For me getting through it was good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

I have toe clips, havn't invested in clipless yet. BUT i did invest in my $5 yanks which were clutch. Probably couldve got out 30 sec earlier, i'll chalk that up to lack of experience.

think less and just do what i know to do.
Bike
  • 32m 44s
  • 9 miles
  • 16.50 mile/hr
Comments:

I forgot to clip in my bike computer, so I had no clue of speed, cadence, distance which was slightly frustrating. I really need to work on drinking while riding. Due to this, I didn't hydrate like I should. I did take a gu about halfway through the ride and it helped.

Clip in my frickin' computer. Hydrate more, and probably push a bit harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

On the dismount, I almost ate it. I had rubber legs really bad. I knew it was coming just completely forgot about it during the dismount. After that the transition was money, dropped everything grabbed the hat and race belt and was off. It was nice not having to change my shoes.

run a little faster through the tran.
Run
  • 31m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

It took about .5 mile to get my legs feeling decent. I then felt really good. I knew I was in a slow pace but I didn't want to push too hard, not knowing what to expect. I now know that I shouldve pushed harder. Being that I didn't hydrate properly on the bike, I made sure to hit each of the 3 water holes and I walked each.

Push harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, hit the john, celebrated with my roommate, gave deanna the congrats on her first, ate some oranges a bannana and drank some water. I took my time gathering my gear and headed out. We hit up the Cracker Barrel near by, b/c i was starving. The french toast hit the spot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, knowledge, and holding my self back (too focused on pacing).

Event comments:

Fantastic first race. I couldn't have been more excited. I knew I couldve done better, but I finished comfortably and better than I thought I would. During the run, all i could remember is BT'er preaching, "Just have fun." So thats what I did. I was cheesing at everyone I passed, It was great! Thanks to all of you who helped and encouraged along the way. I'm a triathlete, B*#ches!! (my overall ranks are just for the males, thats the way it was reported. I guess thats normal)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:47 | 250 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/18
Overall: 147/184
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto Tri top and shorts
Course: 5 laps of the indoor pool. quite crowded.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:44 | 09 miles | 16.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/18
Overall: 127/184
Wind: Little
Course: I don't really know how to qualify the course. Through a residential area, then onto a some backlane roads (which were open to traffic) around and onto Hwy 54 (the outside lane was coned off for the tri). I thought it was easy/medium difficulty. Slightly rolling hills. It wasn't a cake walk, but it really wasn't that difficult. For my first, I think it was just right.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:11 | 03.1 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/18
Overall: 161/184
Course: out and back. through the residential area. Some beautiful Chapel Hill houses to check out while running. Down by a small pond on the golf course. Similar to the bike, not super easy but not really difficult. It had it's share of hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-15 9:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: UNC Wellness Center Super Sprint

2006-08-15 9:18 PM
in reply to: #512872

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: UNC Wellness Center Super Sprint
Congrats on your first race. Way to be. It only gets better.
2006-08-17 6:02 PM
in reply to: #512872

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: UNC Wellness Center Super Sprint
Nice work Ryan! All you can do is improve from here.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UNC Wellness Center Super Sprint Rss Feed