DQ Events
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 25m 20s
Overall Rank = 112/140
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/10
Pre-race routine:

bit hecktic getting business done at hotel and showering and then getting to race site. While driving to race I felt muscle/back issue between sholder blades. :( Otherwise made it to race site in plenty of time. Did not eat much more than a couple corn muffins with some chocolate milk so I drank my nutriblast race drink mix.
Event warmup:

No real warm up, pretty much spent time remaining calm
Swim
  • 47m 43s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Stayed back and breast stroked to warm up into it. after rounding first buoy some 1-200 yards out the back/chest pain acted up and actually went to side stroke for a while (2-300yards) to calm it down. It worked and even working in some free style which felt good and caught up/ passed one or two people. Did not want to over due it so played it "safer" with breast stroke.
What would you do differently?:

Need to get more confident with free style. I made the right choice with no wet suite but my free style is much better, at least race day it was awesome and would have really helped me out.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

Knew that rushing would not make a big difference in my overall slow time. I had some trouble getting the bike jersey on but the three nutrition bars were there and did not fall out in the process. Did not feel panicked was still worn from the swim and wanted to keep moving into the bike

Have another bottle of water in transition, otherwise every thing went well. That woulld be just a nice to have especially knowing how hot it really was.
Bike
  • 4h 30m 18s
  • 57 miles
  • 12.65 mile/hr
Comments:

It started very rough. Again my shoulder blade/back problem and never really got comfortable. Was passed by a lot of people which probably played in my head a bit too.. Glad that I got the extra two bottle carrier by the midway turn around I ate two bars and drank 3 bottle. Refilled two and kept plugging along. Time was 10:10AM so I knew I was loosing time. Breeze might have thrown me off a bit thinking I was going faster than I was. I would not have managed anything faster in that heat though. At one point my right hamstring was twinging and I had to straighten leg every 4-6 peddle strokes near the end.

Was so glad to finish it is hard to criticize. Train in the heat would be one, and train more with nutrition. I ate two stinger bars early So my stomach was feeling heavy and then start drinking the perpetuim where I had doubled up in one bottle which does not sit well. Really the heat was the story of the day and the breeze masked it a bit on the bike but I am sure my body was feeling it.
Transition 2
  • 04m 54s
Comments:

Getting off bike was hard as I went to swing my right leg over nearly every muscle in that leg wanted to cramp. stood on it quickly and it subsided a bit. Support asked me if I was ok, they asked me that a lot, and I said I am right now. Then hobbled over to the bike rack.

Nothing. Nice to have would have been the water bottle. Being my first race I think I did not know if it was the heat or just me. The heat was killer and there was no shade on this lakeside ballpark. Luckily they had the run well supported.
Run
  • 2h 59m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I finished but not the way I would have liked. There were two quick water stops which worked out well, during the race I did not think about the heat but did spend a lot of time trying to keep cool. The first 1/4 mile there was a shower bar which I went through, sneakers and all. My feet/shoes were taking to me for the rest of the day. I walked and walked with few attempts to run for 1-200 yards at a time. After first loop guy wanted to discourage me from continuing as I would not meet the cut off. I did not stop made it to the shower bar again talked with a couple finishers and other race support and decided to keep going. Might have helped they were a couple cute younger ladies. Soon found out all support was lifted and without any water I would have been in serious jeopardy at that point. walked about 3 mile where the wet towel I had was nearly completely dry and I headed back to the finish. :(

Train in more heat. The summer was really cool this year and did not expose me to that kind of heat. Really needed a much better base to deal with that heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Did everything I could to keep moving as the whole event was really focussed on cleaning up A guy gave me a half gallon of hot water and I hid in some shade for a while (few minutes) then head to my bike one of two still in the field. I was moving very slow and another competitor asked if I was alright. I gave him the thumbs up and he said that it was really hot that day and it was 95 (this was around 4:15) I decided I had to get back to my car to get my phone and check the weather. I was nearly crawling with bike and gear to a pavillion for some shade where I hide for 10-20 minutes before verifying how hot it was that day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT!!! The forecast was for rain in the afternoon, rain did not come and sun was out in force. Real feel temperature had to be at or above 100 degrees this day.

Event comments:

It was a great race. I think they did a lot to add water stations given how hot it was. Although they did seem to be caught by surprise with the heat and at 2:45PM they were already clearing the roads and stuff. I felt a bit naked on that second loop. With more normal weather I really feel I was in good position to finish in the cut off.

Last updated: 2014-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:43 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 99/140
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Two loop out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:30:18 | 57 miles | 12.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 136/140
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Shaded for the most part with some very nice scenery. Well marked with good support.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:59:08 | 13.1 miles | 13m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 0/140
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat and hot two loop course
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-08 6:44 AM

Blairstown, NJ
Subject: Shoreman 1/2 Distance Triathlon

2014-09-09 8:51 AM
in reply to: #5047790

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Shoreman 1/2 Distance Triathlon
Joe, I can see in your report that you aren't real happy with your finish time but dang, do you really realize how HOT it was! I'm from Florida and am more used to the heat than you but 90+ degrees for a HM is unbearable. Your time is absolutely amazing!!!!! You stayed out there in that heat when 27 others didn't/couldn't. You stayed out there when they pulled support from the field. You stayed when you didn't think you would get an official finish time. You are a total Rock Star! It's easy to race when conditions are good but you endured thru brutal conditions. So proud of you!!!
2014-09-09 11:40 AM
in reply to: #5047790

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Joe, huge congrats on your finish!!!! Heat is indeed brutal, and you are amazing for persevering on that run course. Yay for shower bars! Cramps on the bike...also very tough to deal with. You overcame all of that and finished what you came to do. Oh, and I think your breast stroke may be faster than my freestyle .
2014-09-09 2:39 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Congrats Joe! Heat is a killer on everyone buddy. Look at how long IM Louisville stays open...that's because people are afraid of the 90 degree heat. I have done the same thing as you for my swims; I do the BS for most of it because its what I'm comfortable with...even though I know freestyle is faster. Whenever one of us figures out how to change that, we need to let the other know! To those people who tried to discourage you, you can tell them to stick it; you've done 70.3...and you did it in very warm weather and with back/shoulder issues. Well done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shoreman 1/2 Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shoreman 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by gregrueb
Views: 902 Posts: 1

2012-09-20 3:46 PM gregrueb

Started by CMB
Views: 1066 Posts: 1

2012-09-10 3:03 PM CMB

Started by JohnnyKay
Views: 2379 Posts: 3

2011-09-19 4:44 PM Fred Doucette

Started by matthias77
Views: 1267 Posts: 1

2011-09-14 8:57 AM matthias77

Started by mleonardo
Views: 1408 Posts: 1

2011-09-11 12:14 PM mleonardo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
comments : 0
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.