United States
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 16s
Overall Rank = 7/222
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 1/26
Pre-race routine:

Up with some coffee, toast, and fruit, around 4:45. A five minute drive to the race site, then a quick and easy transition set-up, which included picking out grass clippings out of my wheel/brake from the trek across the parking field.
Event warmup:

Stood and waited to get in the water. Despite the temperature it wasn't too cold, except for some frozen feet.
Swim
  • 07m 30s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Time trail start, I went about 10th in line. I ran into the water and there was an immediate drop off on depth. Time to start swimming. The water felt great, which made my stroke feel strong in the water. I passed the two people who were ahead of me right away, but then never saw another soul for the rest of the swim. In fact, I could see much of anything. A lot of fog coming off of the water, which made it difficult to sight, particularly when we were heading back into the sun. No one to draft off today either. Felt slow rounding the buoys.

A decent swim overall. I'm not sure what I could've done to make it better, but I didn't feel it was spectacular. Based on the times from everyone it would appear that the course was a little long.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Felt a little slow. I could not get my helmet to buckle either. Fumbled with that. Plus I couldn't see anything through my sunglasses. Completely fogged up on both sides.

2/26
12/222
Bike
  • 27m 8s
  • 9.87 miles
  • 21.83 mile/hr
Comments:

Right out of transition there was a hill to climb. If this was a long course race I would've taken this hill a little easier, but I don't have that luxury in a sprint race. My heart rate and breathing were pretty high, and part of me wanted to just say "eff it" and sit back down in the saddle and take my sweet time getting up the hill. I bypassed the two guys who came out of transition with me, and I could see two others up ahead, but they were a bit too speedy and eventually I lost sight of them. For the rest of the bike I just tried to race hard while also hoping I could calm my body down a bit. That slowly started to happen by the start of the second loop.

I thought I would be a bit more speedy on this course but a few small climbs/false flats kept my speed down; which left me feeling a little disappointed with my overall time.
What would you do differently?:

Push a little harder on the short climbs.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Boy did I screw this transition up. I just didn't have my head in the right place and I wasn't thinking ahead as to what I needed to be doing. Coming into T2 I was flying down the hill, focusing more on my speed instead of thinking about getting my feet out of my shoes. Before I knew it I was at the dismount line with my shoes still on. So I had to spend the extra time in transition removing them. Then once I was ready to go I headed for the Bike Out exit instead of the Run Out exit. In all, I probably lost 15-20 seconds here. Luckily it didn't cost me anything in the overall standings.

7/26
69/222

Focus.
Run
  • 19m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I left transition with Pete right behind me and we made our way up the hill and into the sunlight. The hill the first time around sucked. It seemed to take forever to climb up, where 1 minute seemed like 5. In fact the entire first mile took forever considering the hard effort I was putting out to stay with Pete.

I'm not sure how they mark/measure these courses but I'm all about running the tangents in races, and since this was a bit of a curvy road I was doing just that. Where some people were hugging the curbs in both directions I was bouncing from one side to the other of the four lane road. Pete stayed with me the entire time and at one point during the last mile I thought he might start to pull away. But just as the run started with a uphill climb it ended with a downhill sprint to the finish. I kicked it in gear just before Pete did and I was able to finish a second in front of him (although he did his work on the bike and would beat me in the overall standings).

Pretty pleased with my run. I just wish that first mile would've been easier/faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with some guys for a bit and then the race director. I then decided that I wold take advantage of racing so close to home by being back at home early. i don't think I have ever been home even close to 9:00 after a triathlon race. Can't beat that.

Event comments:

First time race and it was well done for a small sized sprint. Loved the venue.

Last updated: 2014-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:30 | 400 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/26
Overall: 6/222
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle in neighborhood pond/lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:27:08 | 9.87 miles | 21.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/26
Overall: 12/222
Wind: None
Course: Two loop course around Honeywell offices.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:46 | 03.11 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/26
Overall: 7/222
Performance: Good
Course: Two loop, closed, four-lane, neighborhood road. A decent hill clmib repeated twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-10 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Cedar Creek Triathlon

2014-09-10 2:23 PM
in reply to: #5048708

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: Cedar Creek Triathlon
Nice job, Mike! I started the swim right behind you, and couldn't hold your feet. Which shouldn't be surprising...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedar Creek Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon

Started by cbost2678
Views: 1925 Posts: 8

2006-07-30 8:07 PM trigods

Started by rrizzo
Views: 2293 Posts: 11

2006-08-02 6:34 PM brilliantjoy

Started by hblackmon
Views: 1890 Posts: 12

2006-08-04 2:01 PM rbreddin75

Started by sabaka
Views: 2241 Posts: 3

2005-08-02 11:43 AM sabaka

Cedar lakes triathlon

Started by golfinggods
Views: 2162 Posts: 3

2005-08-02 1:10 PM jeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race