General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegetarian Protein Sources Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-30 10:56 AM

User image

Subject: Vegetarian Protein Sources
Hi all,

I need suggestions for vegetarian proteins outside the usual tofu, peanut butter, hummus realm. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Helen

2014-09-30 11:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Vegetarian Protein Sources
Not a vegan, but a huge fan of Quinoa - not just protein source, but far from a bloating fat building carb that is higher in protein.

Edited by TJHammer 2014-09-30 11:46 AM
2014-09-30 8:52 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Master
TORONTO
x2 on the quinoa. I add spirulina to my smoothies. Lentils, nut butters and I've heard tempeh is a good source but I haven't tried it yet.
2014-10-01 7:04 AM
in reply to: kimmax

New user
Key West
Big fan of tempeh. I have cut out most over processed sources of soy, but tempeh and edamame are great sources of protein. Tempeh is fermented soy and is hard so you can use it more like meat and it has a sort of a nutty taste. Also, of course, any and all beans, nuts, etc. For my post run smoothies I use Plant Fusion, which has a combination of different plant proteins to make it complete. Good stuff.
2014-10-01 6:57 PM

User image

I've been vegan for 10 years and eat fairly high amounts of protein for my size. Keep in mind that even with nuts and seeds for example, you have many options (ie peanut, almond, brazil, macadamia, pecan, pistachios, sunflower, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts) just like with beans (black, navy, pinto, chickpeas, butter beans, edamame, red lentils, brown lentils, split peas). Vary the method of preparation as well as roasting, baking, pan frying, etc will all give a very different experience of the food. Protein is found in grains and vegetables, so a typical serving of oatmeal will give you 5g of protein.

Breakfast: Oatmeal with nuts or seeds, hemp seeds and ground flax or whole grain waffle with nut butter, fruit and maple syrup.
Lunch: Beans/roasted tofu/marinated tempeh/soy curls/seitan with mixed vegetables over a bed of rice/quinoa/millet or bean dip with chips and veggies.
Dinner: Soy curl chili

For snacks: protein shakes - pea, hemp, soy, rice based, trail mix with fruit and mixed nuts or roasted edamame, bean dips made with white beans or black beans (spiced up with cumin and hot peppers)

TLDR: soy curls, protein shakes, vary your nuts/seeds/beans to keep it interesting
2014-11-02 1:07 PM

Master
Kitchener

Originally posted by mtrunner6 Hi all, I need suggestions for vegetarian proteins outside the usual tofu, peanut butter, hummus realm. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! Helen

Agree with all the previous posts on sources of vegetarian protein, but unless I missed it, no one has mentioned the high quality protein found in vegetables and greens.    The average person eats way too much protein anyway so wouldn't be too concerned about getting too little.    I was amazed that I had been eating approx 30 gms too much for years.

Juicing as a supplement to your regular diet is a great way to add lots of high quality protein and other nutrients.   Since dropping the grains and adding the vegetables as carbs and increasing the high quality fats, I have lost weight, gained muscle and increased my bone density.   

Best of luck, 

2014-11-04 7:52 AM
in reply to: latestarter

I take a couple of scoops of Sun Warrior Warrior Blend protein and enjoy it very much. I put it in the vitamix with some unsweetened almond milk and some berries.
2014-11-04 8:01 AM
in reply to: JamesA

Master
Kitchener

Originally posted by JamesA I take a couple of scoops of Sun Warrior Warrior Blend protein and enjoy it very much. I put it in the vitamix with some unsweetened almond milk and some berries.

I love the Sun Warrior Brand.   Especially vanilla.   Also use the vanilla and choc to make some energy bars in the dehydrator.  

2014-11-21 3:23 PM

User image

Vegasport.com
2014-12-11 8:55 AM
in reply to: #5055343

Raw Vegan Diet : source of protein
WheatGrass shot . 2 x day
Green juice. celery/cucumber & sunflower sprouts. 2 x day
Blue green Algae. (E3 live) 1 shot x day
Smoothie: Sun Warrior protein powder + banana + berries + 1 or 2 superfood (spirulina/chia/hemp/camu camu/lucuma/moringa/maca)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegetarian Protein Sources Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

soy protein v. whey protein

Started by nc_tri_legal
Views: 2020 Posts: 13

2008-07-24 3:16 PM indygreg

vegetarians, how do you get your protein?

Started by carolna33
Views: 4300 Posts: 25

2008-05-20 6:03 PM Foodking24

Possible source for protein/other supplements - opinions?

Started by mikeasu
Views: 1092 Posts: 1

2006-11-28 9:56 PM mikeasu

Protein Sources

Started by treiks813
Views: 1581 Posts: 9

2005-02-16 6:01 PM iceit99

vegetarian advice

Started by tac
Views: 1276 Posts: 10

2004-08-26 1:42 PM madeye
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : April 29, 2011
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Should triathletes consume more grams of protein than the usual formula, since they are exercising more?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : December 4, 2008
Triathlon nutrition discussions on strength training, juicing, Ironman run nutrition issues, getting more protein as a lacto-ovo vegetarian and whey protein usage.
date : September 15, 2008
While adequate protein is important in your sports diet, protein should take its place as the accompaniment to carbs (grains, fruits, vegetables) in each meal and snack.

date : April 21, 2008
If you are a vegetarian looking for a more active lifestyle or a competitive athlete seeking a change in the diet, do not allow a skeptic to convince you that you can’t be an athlete and a vegetarian.
date : September 12, 2007
This article on protein supplements answers your questions as to the relevance of protein shakes, refueling after workouts and designer protein versus natural sources.

date : April 3, 2006
comments : 7
There are tons of great diets out there for people who eat meat, but I can’t find anything for vegetarians. I also find that when I eat healthy, I am hungry all the time.