United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 53m 54s
Overall Rank = 265/1576
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 22/102
Pre-race routine:

Woke up just before my alarm went off at 4:45. Got everything packed up and used the bathroom a few times. Got a ride to T2 where the shuttles were to take us to T1/swim start.

Nice bus ride on the way there getting to watch the sunrise over the mountains. On my way there I drank a naked juice. Also ate a banana and a gel prior to the event. I also used the bathroom one last time. You can never be too sure.
Event warmup:

I didn't do much of a warmup besides some light stretching. My main goal for the race was to just race smart. I didn't care as much about my time or position as I was just having a good race and staying healthy and upright for the entire thing.
Swim
  • 39m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water temp was recorded at 75.4, so it was .7 degrees below wetsuit legal. I had forgot to pack my wetsuit for the trip however. Almost everyone else in my All World Athlete wave was wearing one. From what I hear, the course was a little long. Closer to 1.3 than 1.2, so that makes me happier with my time.

Once you got out about 100 yards the water was quite warm, about 80 degrees I would guess. I was comfortable without a wetsuit and would have been hot in one. The water was pretty clear so I was able to draft off of a couple different sets of feet which saved me some energy. Great venue for a swim.
What would you do differently?:

I forgot to take my tylenol before the swim, and remembered it was in my side pocket after about 400 yards. So I reached in my pocket and grabbed them. They were less then half dissolved. I swallowed them with a little bit of lake water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Had a little bit of trouble finding my bike, but after I did it was a normal transition. I had to put my shoes on while in transition instead of strapping in while riding because of the race's rules. T1 was made up of little p rocks but had rubber mats down in most places to walk.
Bike
  • 3h 12m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.47 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew this bike course was going to be tough and it didn't disappoint. Right from the start came the hills. A LOT of hills. I ditched my front water bottle at the first aid station and grabbed a perform. My legs felt good at mile 20 yet, but started to feel some fatigue around 25. At each aid station I would discard my empty perform bottle and grab a fresh cold one. At the 2nd aid station (about mile 28?) I stopped to pee.

Miles 30-40 went pretty quick but things were getting tougher. I was able to speed past people going up the hills and would get passed going down, especially as I tried coasting down most of the hills. Topped out at 37 mph. After hitting the 3rd aid station around mile 41 I was ready to be done and my legs were starting to feel it.

The last 10 miles were by far the hardest. My legs were spent and the terrain was deceiving. It looked like we were going down hill, but we were actually going at a slight incline with a little bit of a headwind. There were no downhill sections to rest your legs either. By the end, we gained a little bit of elevation on a hill and I had to stand to get the power to get up the hill. The last 2 miles flattened out luckily and were easier. By the end I was absolutely spent.

I took in 5+ bottles of fluids (mostly perform) 5 salt tabs, 3 gels and half a banana. By the end of the ride my stomach was feeling sick from all the liquid.
What would you do differently?:

I was really glad I swapped out my 12-25 for a 11-28 cassette. I think I would have been in trouble otherwise. I was really happy with my hydration plan. I feel like you should have gotten a medal for just doing that bike ride.
Transition 2
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

Decided not to take my feet out of my shoes before stopping (too tired?). As I swung my right leg over my seat my right hamstring cramped up bad and I had to walk through all of transition. I thought this was a very bad sign. But after I got my running gear on and peed again (I knew this was a good sign) I started to run and my hamstring felt good, no cramping.
Run
  • 1h 54m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Right from the start my running legs felt great. The first lap I was taking it easy and my legs felt amazing. By the 2nd lap they were getting tired but holding up, and by the last lap they were pretty spent and hurting. Luckily my stomach felt great and I was able to take in plenty of fluids at every aid station, including 2 gels, 4 salt tabs, half a banana and a orange wedge. I only cramped up a tiny bit on the last lap but ran through it to the aid station. After the aid station it felt good and could run the rest of the way.

I walked the aid stations and was able to run the rest of it. There were a lot of hurting people out there while I was on my last lap. I had the finishing chute all to myself and had an amazing experience.
Post race
Warm down:

I was spent after the toughest race I'd ever done, but I felt good. I was able to keep my body fueled and hydrated and didn't need any medical attention afterwards. I put some ice on my quads and did a tiny bit of stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills and the heat.

Event comments:

I wanted a challenging race and I got it. This was a fantastic race. WTC always puts on an amazing race and they didn't disappoint. The post race food was good, although I hardly ate any of it. The whole race experience was amazing and would recommend this to anyone looking to challenge themselves at the 70.3 distance.

Last updated: 2013-10-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:39 | 2112 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 50/102
Overall: 691/1576
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: counter-clockwise rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:17
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:12:23 | 56 miles | 17.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/102
Overall: 405/1576
Wind: Little
Course: point to point with an out and back section
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:54:53 | 13.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/102
Overall: 265/1576
Performance: Good
Course: 3 loop course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-10-07 5:28 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: Silverman 70.3

2014-10-07 7:11 PM
in reply to: #5057622

User image

Subject: RE: Silverman 70.3
Great race. Congrats. That is a great time on a difficult course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Silverman - Half Iron

Started by crusevegas
Views: 2072 Posts: 15

2007-11-30 9:43 AM dragoman

Silverman - Half Iron

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 2107 Posts: 7

2007-11-15 8:01 PM chile7473

Silverman - Half Ironman

Started by sbreaux
Views: 1759 Posts: 12

2007-11-15 11:48 AM Z-dog

Silverman Triathlon

Started by RLK
Views: 4819 Posts: 10

2006-02-22 10:53 AM ellismichael

Silverman

Started by trouble
Views: 1731 Posts: 1

2005-11-15 4:16 PM trouble
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?
date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.

date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.