General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken Tib/Fib (titanium rod surgery) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-10-12 9:10 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Broken Tib/Fib (titanium rod surgery)
A little over a week ago I was finishing a group ride with the university cycling club when an oncoming vehicle turned left into my friend and I. He narrowly escaped but I was left with a superman flight into a windshield and the resulting skid on pavement. Luckily I am here to write and question you all about recovery time. Given physical therapy is covered and completed how much time do you think will pass before I can resume regular training? Of course healing is priority right now and by no means do I plan to push myself into unsafe territory.

My original plan was to take on my first IM in CDA next late June but I'm gonna scratch that and shoot for the Leadman Tri in Bend, OR next September. I want one of those sweet belt buckles.

If you have dealt with a similar injury or know anybody who has I'd love to hear some advice. Thanks.

2014-10-13 9:13 AM
in reply to: Viajero7

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Subject: RE: Broken Tib/Fib (titanium rod surgery)
I had a compound fracture of the tibia. The fib is a non load bearing bone. The fib fractures usually don't get set, or worked on.
Now the tibia is a different story.
I don't have a "rod" per se. I have what they call a tibial nail that was used to hold all the pieces together straight. It has 2 screws. One is just below my knee, the other above my ankle bone.
My accident was in April 2002. I was still on a cane in July. I started to run with confidence in November.
2014-10-15 1:34 PM
in reply to: #5059243

User image

New user

I'm glad to hear you were able to regain confidence in running. 7 months from now seems like an eternity but I will focus on getting stronger today and tomorrow.

Have you noticed any long term pain or discomfort?
2014-10-15 2:33 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

You will get back to things but the tibia is the second biggest bone in your body and it takes a while for it to heal.  I would guess it will be a good 6 months or more before you are comfortable running. You will be able to swim and bike much sooner.  You probably be able to ride the trainer first

2014-10-16 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
The only long term pain or discomfort is:
With the tibial nail, I noticed when I run, the leg doesn't flex they way the other leg does. It's microscopic, but I can feel it.
That said, I do at least 2 marathons every year plus a number of 70.3 and 1/2 mary. There is no pain and I'm good.

That said, this past Tuesday was "hardware removal" day. I had a clavicle plate holding my clavicle in place while that bone healed. I cam off my bike in July and smashed the hell out of my left side. So they removed the plate and while I was under, I had them remove the screw above my ankle bone.

2 days later, I smell bad and walk fine and my shoulder works.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken Tib/Fib (titanium rod surgery) Rss Feed