Triathlon Nova Scotia
21C / 70F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 22m 12s
Overall Rank = 4/36
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Lots of driving - drove from Greenwood home (1.5 hours), went to bed around 10. Got up at 4:40 to drive to New Glasgow for the race (2 hours). Had breakfast in the car before getting to the site and noticed that the bike course was very hilly and the pavement was in terrible condition. Got to the site and set up transition. There were no racks at this event, just a parking lot with curbs high enough to stand your bike against. Also ran into a guy I went to high school with who races as an elite - wasn't doing the race but cool to get to talk to him for a while.
Event warmup:

Went for a quick 10' run (probably 2km) with some pickups to race pace. Took the bike out for a 6' spin (2km) and realized how bad the bike course was going to be - out of transition and almost right up a hill - was definitely not looking forward to all the climbing. Finally, after getting the OD athletes squared away, they were ready for the sprints to give the course brief and finally let us in the water.
Swim
  • 13m 51s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a great swim - when the sprint athletes lined up I realized I was at the front - and nobody seemed interested in being there. I figured that I would go for it and at the start hit the water, dove and surfaced in the lead. I was able to catch some of the OD athletes and was swimming smooth and steady - hard but not too hard. I was clear of all the other sprint athletes at the first and second buoys but about half way back to shore, I was passed by another athlete. After swimming side by side for a while, I dropped in on her feet and followed the draft to shore. I exited the water second just behind her and I was excited knowing I was feeling good and if I ever get a swimming wetsuit I should be able to be first out of the water in some races :)
What would you do differently?:

Buy a good wetsuit!
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Solid T1 - it involved a run up the beach to the parking lot and I was able to be ready when I got to my bike.

Nothing
Bike
  • 40m 14s
  • 19.37 kms
  • 28.89 km/hr
Comments:

I realized on the drive to the race that I probably should have gone with my road bike - I'm not strong enough to ride hills well with my 42/25 on my tribike so I would have welcomed the 39/25 on my road bike. Overall I had a solid ride but there were very few spots were you could get a good tempo going - all up or down.
I was passed by three athletes and passed one (the woman who was ahead of me on the swim). Overall I think I rode well but I still need more time on the bike - I want to ride fast!

More bike training - need to get the average speed up. Maybe another cassette for the tribike - 12-27?
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Another solid transition - no problems.

Nothing
Run
  • 25m 36s
  • 6 kms
  • 04m 16s  min/km
Comments:

I trasnitioned pretty well to the run - it took about .5km to get the legs going but after that my cadence was pretty good and I felt strong. There were three athletes in front on me and the woman I had passed on the bike was probably only 50m back. I just worked on trying to keep my candence and pace up but it definitely suffered when I got to the hill (steady incline for 1km from about 3km to 4km). Got passed on the way up the hill but when I finally got to the turnaround I realized that we had a pretty big gap on everyone else. I focused on staying close and following her to the finish line - which worked until she kicked - I tried to go with her but it was definitely not my day - I started reeling her in but that was all I could muster. Managed to finish probably 10" back and in fifth place.

Nothing really - felt pretty good on the run despite the difficulty of the bike course.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and ate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More base on the bike and run and a new wetsuit.

Event comments:

A pretty good race - the bike was hard and the run was long but other than that I was pretty happy with my performance. The website said the start was at 7:30 and when we arrived they said it should be 8:30. Then it wasn't until 8:50 or so that the OD athletes hit the water.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:51 | 750 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 2/36
Performance: Good
HR wasn't working on the swim :(
Suit: Shortie Wetsuit
Course: Single clockwise loop in salt water.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:14 | 19.37 kms | 28.89 km/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 4/36
HR 165
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on rough pavement with lots of hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:36 | 06 kms | 04m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 2/36
HR 172
Course: Out and back - was supposed to be 5km but definitely very close to six - first thing most athletes commented on at the finish :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes