Overall Rank = 32/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 28h 34m
  • 100 miles
  • 17m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

WARNING: this report may be as long as the race ;)

Ghost train trail ultra:
October 25 & 26, 2014

Where do I start? Well there is a story behind why I wanted to do this race, how I(we) came to register for it and then how we decided on running the full 100miles--but all that is probably better discussed over an adult beverage or on a leather couch in some doctors office.

Training: well that was built off the fitness of a spring marathon and a late summer ironman. After the ironman we only had 10 weeks to recover, squeeze in as much run training as possible and taper. Not ideal, but nothing ever is. Training was much more condensed then what we did last year for the 50. But between run training and adding in many more walks to my weekly schedule I felt 100 miles was possible. It might not be pretty, but I felt I could get thru 100 miles. And mentally I needed 100 miles.

The week leading up to the race, my neurosis was in full effect and my nervousness was palpable. I spent the final week finalizing all shopping, packing, and panicking over the slightest twinge. I silently questioned myself and my sanity. (How are we going to do this, what was I thinking, what ifs....). but my real concern/nervousness was the fact that I convinced Amy (my little sister and best friend) to join me on this journey. I didn't want to let her down or cause her to get injured.

Rain started Wednesday and continued throughout Thursday and Friday. The forecast showed it clearing by Friday afternoon, but that was not all that settling. I started to follow the race Facebook page closely to see what local people were saying about trail conditions. What I found was there were others more neurotic then me and I had to take everything posted with a grain of salt. One great post I found (http://edwardsandor.blogspot.com/2014/10/100-mile-lessons.html?m=1), I immediately started reading it when I saw he had the same quote (I'm going to succeed because I'm crazy enough to think I can") I had seen a couple months before and kept repeating to myself. The post was exactly what I needed. I copied the link and waited to send it to Amy until we were on the road Friday driving to NH.

Driving out of town we hit the typical Friday night traffic. Sloan and I didn't mind, but Nate was frazzled by it. I thought that maybe he was nervous for me and left it at that. We ended up stopping at the first Mass pike rest stop of a piece of pizza, not ideal but I had eaten a big lunch of sweet potato, green beans and pasta. We made it to the hotel by 8:30. Amy, Craig and Ben were only 5mins behind us.

Now this is were it got a little interesting. Nate was a bit insistent on talking about mornings plan right at that moment, but I wanted to get set with prepping for bed and then sit in bed to explain. Finally after some tense moments between us while I got ready for bed, I sat down to go over my lists / notes. I had labeled everything and every bag so that it would be easy to find and then I made notes about everything. I explained what I thought I would need each lap and then at special times (when it got dark, when it was cold, when it got light, etc.). I gave him one set of notes and put the other in my gear bin. I thought I was very clear, but obviously not (more on this later).

We were in bed with lights out at 9:45. I had no issue falling asleep with the help of some benedryl. I woke a couple of times during night but felt rested when the alarm went off at 6:30. Amy and I got up and dressed, then down to breakfast by 6:50. I grabbed a banana, English muffin and peanut butter, a cup of water and a cup of coffee. We chatted with a very nice couple (Donna & Mark) as we toasted our muffins. Race day breakfast is always so tough to get down. But we kept reminding each other at least this time it was not going to be tasted during a swim. After a quick bathroom stop we were on the road.

We arrived at the Milford DPW (race start/finish) to checkin and pickup bibs at 7:30. It was a very unassuming, non-pretentious setup, just what we wanted. We had a prime parking spot so after check in, we sat in the car and took in the sights. The temp was about 45degrees so we finalized what clothes we would start with (me - shorts, calf sleeves, tank under long sleeve and hydration vest). We chatted, checked Facebook, hit the portopots, and nervously prepped our first loop of nutrition. At 8:45 we got out of the car and headed over for last remarks and the start. Just then our kids and husbands came running up. Some quick photos and then they walked with us across the bridges to the start.

The prerace announcements were hard to hear over all the nervous chatter. but what I did hear was that for the first time in race history, a land owner granted us access to a section of trail that we previously weren't allowed on. So instead of a 1/2 mile road section every 7.5miles, we stayed on the trail the entire time.

Loop1: miles 0-15
hugs and kisses to the boys and respective husband. And then, we were off at a nice slow 12-13min/mile pace with 178 of our soon to be closest friends. There were some women right behind us chatting up a storm, Amy commented how we would all get along really well since we talk a lot on our runs. But those first 2 miles were a bit too congested for me, I was feeling really claustrophobic. The tunnel at .7 was so packed that I couldn't enjoy it that first pass, I couldn't see anything and had to drag my hand along the wall scraping up my knuckles.

As we went I made note out loud as to mileage of distinguishing landmarks. (Tunnel, path, stop sign stairs, Stonehenge, bridge to start climb, climb, STD tree, decent, bridge, path, bridge to hill before road crossing, to sharks tooth, nap benches, powerlines aid station, fake out pumpkins, rail ties with mud, endless ponds, waterfalls, roots, pumpkin bridge, gate crossing, dog pound, stingray boat, roots, more ponds, tall pines, lake, camp gate, camp, family, turn bridge...).

After the hill climb, soon to be know as "the mountain" climb;), we were through mile 2, and we picked up the pace to our normal 10:30-11min/mile pace, including walk breaks. Our plan was conversation pace 20min run, 1min walk until mile 45, then go with a 15/1 until 60 and 10/2 after 60. The pace felt easy and we enjoyed the beauty of the course. The temps kept rising and we were happy with our clothing selection, knowing we would drop the long sleeves at the camp. I told Amy somewhere between the powerlines and the camp that this loop was for Maddux (my black lab son) as it was 6 years to the day that he passed. He would have love these trails and had been running wild in them.

Before we knew it we were at camp Tevya and the turnaround. We had warmed up nicely and shed our long sleeves. The guys were setup, decorations and signs in place, Ben was dressed up and Sloan was playing. Craig told us to hand off our hydration vest for them to fill. I repeat to Nate what we had discussed the night before, top it off my fluids with 1 line from concentrate bottle and fill the rest with water, making sure there was a total of 45 ounces in my vest. Amy and I continued on to the turn around just past the bridge (another .1 from them). There were portopots on the way back. We decided these were the best ones to stop at each time.

As I am waiting in line for portopot, Nate hands me my vest and says with a strange look on his face, "I filled it up with that bottle".
Me, "so, you put one line in and filled the rest with water, right?"
Him, "no, I put the whole bottle in, what do you mean one line?"
Me, "There are lines on the bottle, I only need 1 lines worth per loop. That a concentrate bottle."
Craig, comes and grabs my vest as he over hears this exchange.

Nate stands there and is utterly confused by what I am saying, he is the most frustrated I have ever seen him. But I don't have time to explain as it is my turn in line. I come out and go to our table, Nate is still questioning what I mean. So I repeat myself and show him the lines again. My concentrate bottle had 6 lines with 6x240cals of gu roctane brew (or 1440 cals in it). By this point Craig has dumped out some of the high calorie mix and filled my vest back up with water. He hands it to me and says, "do the math while you run". Craig grab the clip board and wrote lap vitals (nutrition, hydration, salt, meds, bathroom) - he would do this each time we came into camp.

Amy and I left camp laughing at what a hot mess my husband was. sorry Nate, I forget how you are not as anal as me and tend to do nutrition on the fly. When I explained I should have explained what concentrate meant and made sure you understood. The next 7.5 miles were covered by us noting more landmarks and seeing the trail from the opposite direction. We noted what went well and what we forgot at the pit stop. We chatted and laughed as we went, joining in different runner conversations and making new friends. We again did not stop at the powerlines as we had what we needed and wanted to get through the first 15. Back through the tunnel and this time I completely enjoyed it and did every time after.

15 miles : 2:47 (11:08 pace)
3gus, 1 banana, ??? cals gu roctane brew (but more then I needed), 2 salt tabs, 45oz h2o

For the mile before each aid station, we would formulate a plan as to stopping and what we needed to do (fluids, food, bathroom, meds, lube, clothing, etc). We came into mile 15 feeling good and prepared to make a quick stop, about 3mins.

Loop 2: miles 16-30
We started this loop and said, this one is for Jonathan, our nephew's birthday. We made a plan to to say happy birthday on video at the turn. We added music on this loop, via Amy's speaker vest. This added a nice distraction to the second loop. Many comments ensued and we soon were labeled "the sisters". Everyone we passed or who passed us were amazingly supportive. It really felt like a family. The leaders, who were obviously racing, were just as friendly and supportive as those of us near the back.

We made it back to the camp and this time Nate was completely in sync with me. Sloan ran with me to the turnaround and back. A couple of happy tears occurred knowing we were doing this. We hit the portopots and then discussed with the guys the plan for Nate to start running with us at 30 (the earliest a pacer could join us). Our thought was that we wanted both guys to run with us before it got dark. This would keep us moving as fast as possible before dark and so they could see what we were in for after dark. We asked nate tape our happy birthday note and send it. It ended up being a relatively quick stop 3-5min, before Amy and I were on our way.

The way out of camp for some reason the gate was closed and no one knew why...Ghost maybe! We noticed the red camp shack for the first time and a couple of beautiful fall trees. And with each lap, there were more decorations and distractions added to the trail (skeletons, bats, glowsticks, etc). Otherwise, we were on cruise control. We stopped at the powerlines this time both directions for a minute or 2 each time.

30miles: 5:50 total / 3:03 loop (12:12 pace)
2gus, maybe 200 cal gu roctane brew, 2 banana half, 2-3 sips Mountain Dew, 1/4 pb fluff., 60oz h2o, 2 salt tabs

Coming back into the DPW we immediately saw nate's smiling face. He helped us both with fluids and food.

Loop 3: miles 31-45
Nate brought a new energy to our run. It was fun showing him our landmarks and introducing him to our new friends / family. We told him this loop was for Abbie. We continued with music, talking and running. Prior to Nate joining we made bets on the number of f'bombs and pee breaks he would take. Well surprising, there were minimal f'bombs, but 3 pee breaks during his 7.5mile stint. And before we knew it we were .5 mile out of camp and Nate ran ahead to tell Craig our plans. We went thru our routine of handing off vests, running to turnaround, hitting portopots and stopping at table. This time I needed a new short sleeve shirt as I was getting chafing from vest with tank on. We grabbed some tortellini in a Ziplock. Craig was ready to go with us with headlamps, poles and new energy.

We had us moving right along, but somewhere in this section Amy and I both hit a low point and our pace slowed. My left IT started to get a little cranky so I prompted the first non-scheduled walk break. The daylight was starting to disappear and we knew the hiking poles would come in handy at night and on the climbs / descents. Craig tried to tell us we looked too good for poles, but we told him otherwise. By the time we were at 44, it was dark on the tree covered trail. I pulled out my flash light and ran with it on for the mile into the DPW.

45 miles: 9:22 total / 3:32 lap (14:08) - the stops really slowed us. 2 gu, 1/2 bag tortellini, coke at rest stops, 200 cal gu roctane, banana, 4 salt
60oz h2o

As always we had planned what we needed, shirts from bags, put on headlamps, food, drink and go. Well I go to turn on headlamp and it is dead. I had put brand new batteries in it the day before. No worries, I had a spare set of batteries in my vest. Craig changed it for me. I grabbed a sip of soda and we went on our way.

Loop 4: miles 46-60
Amy and I planned to do this lap alone, so we started out at a great clip out of the aid station, clocking a sub 10min mile and made it to the "mountain" climb and hiked up it. we descended and had another good mile before We hit the powerlines aid station. We trie running again, but decide we were making better progress walking then running so we went about our way. Amy's iPod died and I turned on my phone for music. We were having a great time and making decent progress. We came into camp and came upon my dad and his dog a little ways out. It was great to see him and he walked us in. We handed everything off, went to the turn around with Ben running with us this time, portopots and back to table. We knew we wanted to stop for shoe/sock change and food. I needed a bit of blister surgery before heading out. Ben was very intent on helping and he did a great job. Stop was a good 10mins

Amy got spare batteries, but I forgot in the mix of things. Good thing she's did as her headlamp needed them more frequently. There were times during the night where we used one headlamp or one flashlight due to dimming/dead batteries.

The return trip to DPW was more speed walking, chatting and high spirits. We tried to run for about a .5-.75 miles, but we just weren't comfortable with the roots. Each time we caught a toe, it felt like we were wripping some muscle or connective tissue. We figured, we were still on target and once the sun came up we could run again (yah wishful thinking). after mile 30 we started to use the powerlines portopot on the south bound section, so we knew we were hydrated and felling pretty good about nutrition. This lap was also for Abbie.

60miles: 13:48 total / 4:26 loop (17.44 pace)
Food was varied: tortellini, grill cheese, banana, 1 gu, 1 bonk breaker, 60+oz h2o, 3 salt tabs

But this time at the DPW, Amy had to do what we had been dreading, walk up a tiny incline at the DPW to the portopots. It wasn't that far, but anything off the course seemed like a mile away and any incline felt like a hill at this point. We took a bit longer at transition this time. We grabbed our long sleeves from our bags on this one. They had 1/2 grilled cheese which we both tried. Another 10mins + at this stop.

Loop 5: miles 61-75
Another loop of music, talking and moving. We noted this one was for Marna and her family. Amy's headlamp continued to have issues so we were switching out batteries and working with what we had. This time south at powerlines I had some great vegan soup. Amy found warm tortillas worked for her. It really is amazing how much time aid stations can suck up. We tried to be as efficient as possible but as the night hours went on and we became more tired, we spent more and more time. We noticed they put the 100 mile turnaround sign out, very small with some flasher on it.

We made it to the camp this time at 1 something in the morning and were surprised to see our parents and the husbands both up. It was great seeing them and chatting, eating and grabbing a warm layer to wrap around waist and hat. Probably spent 10mins or so here again.

After leaving we were still feeling good and proud of our accomplishment so far. However as we progressed there were more and more lows in conversation and more and more stubbed toes / pulled muscles on the roots. We were amazed and in awe of anyone running or going it alone. I definitely would be scared alone and have had a lot more lows. But with Amy I never got to the point of feeling we wouldn't make it or I didn't want to be there. At this point there were fewer and fewer runners every loop and it appeared that 80% or more were power walking except a handful of speedies.

75miles: 18:41 total / 4:53 (19.32 pace)
Varied food, no gu, 60+oz h2o, soup, coffee, Pringles, banana

We made it into the DPW and did our thing. This time I found the fire roast pizza hit the spot with a cup of coke. We put our warm layer on somewhere on this loop and once again spend a good 10min in transition. It seemed the ends were the ones we would linger longer.

Loop 6: 76-90
Once we started this loop, in my mind we were going to make it. I had been doing ultra math, and I was doing it so wrong, I thought we were 2 hours behind. We both realized that we would like someone to do 82.5 - 90 with us. So at the powerlines I text the support crew asking if someone would join us. This loop we saw the leader running it back to the finish. He still looked strong and moving swiftly. We were proud to be out there and happy to be part of the ultra family.

We made it in to camp around 6:15 and the husbands and parents were again waiting for us. They were amazing as we went thru the motions. We knew this lap was for all our family and all they had done for us. I became emotional at this point because, I realized we truly were within reach of completing 100. We had more then 8.5hrs to go 17.5 miles.

Craig was dressed (cords, sweatshirt and sneakers) and ready to go. As we started out Amy and Craig chatted a bit and then he got us moving with some general conversation. During this 7.5 miles it became evident that Amy was hurting, but still moving. I had noticed at the camp that her right knee was swollen but thought that it was ok, as both of our legs were swollen. We agreed early on Saturday that there was to be no negative comments and if we were around negative people we would move on. I didn't point out her knee as I thought if it hurt she would have let us know, so why worry her by pointing it out. But obviously she was doing her best to hide her discomfort until now. It was still not yet light, we were tired, sore and had covered well over 3 marathons in under 21 hrs. Craig was great, he pointed out sounds of waterfalls and kept the conversation going.

The light started to appear as we made our way closer to powerlines. I stopped off for a portopotty break. Upon coming out, I told Craig that the walls were moving in there and it was best if I kept moving. But John (powerlines aid station) now had bacon and pancakes. It smelled so good and I actually contemplated the bacon, but I took a cup of pancakes and walked on. The sun was up and my mood was starting to rise again, but Amy was suffering more and more. Craig worked his wonders with her to get her up and over "the mountain". I knew getting back to the DPW was happening, but I didn't know if I could convince her to come back out for 10 more. Our dad met us about .5 miles out. He walked it in with Amy while Craig and I chatted a little. He had texted my parents to come with the blister kit and Amy's oversized shoes. As we came to the bridge before the DPW there were other runners standing around, I was asked "finish?". Me, "10 more". The look I got back was one of understanding, compassion and pain. They could tell that it was a big question if we would make it back out. Once we crossed the bridged and checked in, they got Amy to sit down and took her shoes off. I went over for hydration and food. When I came back the best thing possible happened.
Mile 90: 24:16 total (16.10 pace) / 5:25 loop (21.40 pace)
Food: varied and I lost track other then pancakes, and coffee. 60+oz water

Michael St. Hilaire happened. He was the volunteer at the DPW who we probably saw the 6 previous times but never really interacted with other then thank for the food we grabbed. I know we looked bad coming in but he asked me what she would like, as he saw we came in together and probably, like everyone out there, knew us as the sisters. He asked about broth or grilled cheese, I said yes to both. He took them over and stood with her. I walked back to the table. Meanwhile, Craig was performing surgery on Amy's horribly blistered feet. He popped blisters the size of my fist on the bottom of her feet. Two toe nails were already gone causes. Then he took duck tape and wrapped her feet with it. All the while Michael was talking Amy through it. He was her angel, our angel. When I went back to the table for the 2nd time, he pulled me aside and asked me, "is she with it? Do you think she should go on?" I said that she is in a lot of pain due to her feet, but she is completely with it. He went to work. He went over, talked her through it, got her more broth and eventually got her up out of the chair. Come to find out, a year earlier he was in the same position she was and he had someone talk him through getting out for the last 10miles. And it was the best decision of his life. And he convinced her to do the same.

I can honestly say, that alone I would not have been able to talk her into going out for another lap. She had her mind set when we climb "the mountain" at me 88. And I was too tired and hurt too much myself. I was probably the most useless person for her at the aid station, as I kept walking around and stretching my legs. I must of walked by the guys at the fire 5-6 times. I could tell they were talking about us and speculating if we would head back out. I could see there doubts, as I felt my own doubts. I knew I was moments away from locking up. I had to keep moving. When I came back over, Amy was up and Craig said he would do the last 10 with us.

Loop 7: miles 91-100
All I can say is Craig is amazing. He had already got us thru the 7.5 miles and now he was signed on for 10 more. He got Amy moving by counting off her foot steps. She was a champ and listened to him. A group of 4 passed us going south right away, one of the guys aked us if it was our last 10. We nodded and he encouraged us. But then he obviously not meaning to be negative says, "yah but you have to get over "the mountain, not just once, but 2 times". I shoot him a look but he is already moving out of sight and ear shot. This sets both Amy and I off, and powered us on for a bit. But within 1/2 a mile amy stated the tape was cutting off her circulation. I told we we could stop at the road crossing in .2 miles to cut the tape. She agreed and we slowly moved on. At the road crossing, Craig pulled out the scissors and started cutting the tape. It took both of us to cut the tape as it was tight and we had regular scissors which were digging into her foot. once we cut it half way, I could see a sign of relief come across her face. But the volunteers face was a bit concerned. Craig must of reassured them that we were ok, as they let us continue on. 91 miles downs, 9 more to go. These would be the toughest 9 miles of my life.

My feet and legs decided they were done. Every step became twice as hard as the one before. 93 was the first time i actually saw the powerlines at the. Powerlines station. I tried to stay quiet, but by the time we made it to mile 94 and the rail ties, I had could not hide it any more. I started grunting and counting steps with Amy and the when she stopped I would start again. I found if I did not focus on counting, I slowed and got into my own head too much. We passed some people heading back from then turn who said we had 3/4 mile, that 3/4 mile took forever. We kept looking for landmarks and finally the stingray boat came into sight. i asked Craig to take a picture of us to document we did it. Then we started the shuffled back north. 5 more miles, that was all that there was between us and the finish of 100 miles. Craig asked us to tell him the next landmark and so we played the game of trying to remember what came next. Now 2 laps earlier, we had no issues telling you the exact order and how far between each, but now, it was hard, very hard. A couple of spots I started to think I saw bears or other animals in the woods, all turned out to be nothing. At least one of the time, Craig caught me mid-sighting, and reassured me he thought he saw a bear too. Not sure if he really did or was trying to make me feel comfortable.

At 97 we hit the powerlines again. This time it was Amy's turn to see walls moving in the portopot, so I felt better. John was no longer at the station and another man was there. We had seen him throughout the race all over the course and he always offered a kind word. (I now know this was the race director, Steve Latour.) He once again offered kind words and we were off for 3 more miles. We got moving a bit faster here (or at least I thought we were). Sharks tooth, road crossing, steep downhill, bridge, path, bridge, climb and at the top was our dad with pal. He was holding on to a tree, looked at me and said, "I didn't realize you guys signed up to do some boot camp style run. this is a serious hill and trail." I smiled, said "yah this is the 14th time climbing and descending this" and then I continued on. It made me proud to see the look in his eyes. Amy and Craig were right behind and my dad waited for them. I could hear Amy say something about being badass and hearing my dad laugh. We made our way down "the mountain" across the bridge, through Stonehenge and to the stairs. Then onto the path to the tunnel. We knew the boys were going to be waiting for us shortly after the tunnel to "run" us in the last .7 miles. Amy and I had agreed early in the race that we would not cry during this last mile as we wanted the boys to see us happy and another scare them. Well upon leaving the tunnel, I could see them up about .1 miles away and started crying, we had done it. Now all I needed to do was turn the water works off and put a smile on. Our mother, aunt, uncle, children and nate were all waiting for us. This was an awesome moment. And like that my tears stopped and I held Sloan's hand as we talked about his chocolate chip pancakes he had for breakfast.

But it was shorted live, as we came near the finish, out came a couple runners. I recognized the man as Michael. The tears start flowing, Amy went over, gave him a big hug and we all continued on our ways with tears in our eyes. He was going out to help another runner. The finish was awesome in all it's lack of fanfare and spectators. There was all of about 15 people including our family there to cheer us in. We crossed the bridge, read off our bibs and we were handed a champagne glass of beer.

100 miles: 28:34 total time (17.08) / 4:18 for 10miles (25.48)

I really could not comprehend what we had just done. I as in a haze. I sat by the fire, was congratulated and handed a old rail tie. The boys ran around like typical 4 and 7 year olds. We had really done it. The questions started about how we felt. At that moment there was no pain and all I wanted as some salty chips. Doritos worked wonders. Then came THE question... will you do it again? To my surprise, my answer right then was, NO.

We sat for maybe 10mins before we started to get cold and stiff. Nate and Craig carried Amy to their car. I slowly walked, but was starting to go downhill fast. I got in the car and locked up. I don't remember much of the car ride home except devouring an entire can of Pringles. At home nate went up and started a bath for me. I tried to climb the stairs but resorted to going up backwards on my butt. He helps me into the bath but it is not warm. I last maybe 5 minutes and didn't really clean anything. I somehow get out and sat myself on the toilet. He came back up and tries to help me get dressed in my compression tights, but there is no way that was happening. My legs were so swollen and hurt to the touch. He got me another pair of pants, his compression socks, and a shirt & sweater. I go back downstairs on my butt. I lay on the couch and am in and out of consciousness. At some point he handed me a piece of pizza, which I don't really remember eating. The I am out. I ended up sleeping on the couch with 3 blankets and several pillows positioned around my legs. The entire night my legs felt like they were in a vice and I had the hot/cold sweats. Once I woke up in the morning I felt a little better and had a banana and coffee.

I have steadily improved throughout the week, with the help of compression pants every night, compression socks during the day, massage on Tuesday, and walking kellie 2x a day for a mile at a time. And here we are a week later and I feel like I am recovering. I have a little ways to go, as I still have some occasional pains pop up, but I ran today... 3/4 of a mile with Sloan. He ran a total of 2 miles at running group.

So the questions that continue to pop up:
1. Why - because I wasn't 100% sure I could and I wanted/needed to accomplish something big.
2. Was it fun - 90 miles were fun, 10 miles were
3. What did you talk about - everything and anything, in fact I found out Amy an I have almost the exact same favorite childhood memory.
4. Did you sleep - no, our time slowed when we walked and took our time thru aid stations, but we never slept.
5. Would you do it again - a week ago I said a absolutely not. Now... I could see myself several years from now, after accomplishing other lofty goals, trying it again. But only after many more hours and miles on the trail. I will definitely plan on going back to volunteer before that:)

Post race
Warm down:

I can not thank enough our husbands, children, parents, volunteers, other racers and the Race Director for such fabulous support and event.

Last updated: 2014-11-03 12:00 AM
Running
28:34:00 | 100 miles | 17m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: 7.5 mile out and 7.5 mile back trail 6 times with additional 5 mile out and 5 mile back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-11-03 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: Ghost Train Trail ultra

2014-11-03 2:56 PM
in reply to: #5064827

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: RE: Ghost Train Trail ultra
I was crying reading your race report. I can't even imagine the intense emotions you both felt over the course of those 28+ hours. You are one amazing woman and I am so fortunate to call you a friend. What you convinced your body and mind to do and what you pushed yourself through is truly inspirational.
2014-11-04 11:11 AM
in reply to: kwed

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Ghost Train Trail ultra
WOW great race report, you are tougher than nails! Thanks for posting the report!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ghost Train Trail ultra Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Winona Lake Trail Ultra - 50M

Started by yeats
Views: 2127 Posts: 14

2012-05-04 10:44 PM BigDH

Winona Lake Trail Ultra

Started by jfought
Views: 1532 Posts: 13

2012-04-20 10:04 AM doxie

Clinton Lake Ultra: 30 mile Trail Run

Started by jcash683
Views: 1800 Posts: 1

2010-04-11 8:24 PM jcash683

The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix

Started by dragoman
Views: 1180 Posts: 2

2010-04-08 1:21 PM JMINPNW

Ultra 10-Mile Trail Run

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1203 Posts: 6

2008-08-11 5:34 PM enders_shadow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.