General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jackson, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 48s
Overall Rank = 292/512
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Got a pretty good night's sleep, but woke up about 15 minutes before the alarm went off. This is typical for me once I start getting into a sleep routine. I started my food by eating one mini bagel right away and brought two more for along the drive. Fixed my 'race hair', packed my bag (eee gads! I didn't pack the night before!) and I was out the door about 15 minutes before I planned to leave. This was pretty rough for me since Don wasn't going today. His son broke his arm and he stayed back to be with him and to take my boys to baseball practice. It felt weird doing the race without him. Anyway, I stopped on the way up there & decided to forgo porta potty and use a convienience store bathroom (is that a step up from porta-potty? I think this was). I still got there pretty early.
Event warmup:

I really didn't warm up. There were so many people there! I set my transition area up, ate two of those cliff block thingys, filled my water bottles up and walked down towards the lake. I stood up from the lake and didn't even get in until it was time for my wave. I stood up there and talked with Craig who went to watch the race and some other racers that I have seen at the other races. What is it about people bringing their dogs to the races?
Swim
  • 17m 45s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was crazy. I had to stop and tread water a few times because of the other swimmers. I had one person swim right in front of me going in another direction. There isn't much you can do about that but stop and wait for them to go by. I was trying to catch someone's wake, but I couldn't get behind someone that was my speed or faster so I kept running into their feet. I rounded the big poufy bouy like a pro - I wish there was a video camera on me, it would have been one to show "how to do it right"! By the time I started getting toward the end of the swim, the fast swimmers of the novice wave were catching up with us. I always hate this part because this is when I get beat up the worst. I had one guy knock my face and another grabbed my arm as I was about to put it in the water to stroke. I couldn't see the end, so I just followed the other swim caps. I did waste time by trying to stand up too soon. I hate it when I do that! I think the T1 time is included with the swim time. I looked down at my watch and it was a minute (or so) less when I crossed the chip sensor going into T1.
What would you do differently?:

I need new goggles. I can't see too well through them...they are scratched, and fog easily. I also need to just get my swim faster and stronger. I know I am not the fastest swimmer, but maybe I should let people swim through me for once instead of me trying to swim through them. I also should just swim to the shore until I touch the bottom with my hands.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I thought my T1 time was pretty good, though at this point I don't know what it is. I decided to do a gu this race as it seemed to really help me in the last race. I put it in my shoe before the race and threw it between the girls in my tri suit until I got a chance to eat it.

I need to learn to have the shoes clipped on the bike and put my bare feet in them on the race. I think I would go a lot faster if I did this.
Bike
  • 43m 22s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I jammed on the bike! I felt good and pushed it hard. I passed several of my competitors during the bike (though they kept up with me). I only got passed once and then I passed that guy right on the next hill. Oh yea and I almost got hit by a snot rocket - gross!

I really would love to break the 20 MPH mark. I know I can do it. I guess I need to really work on hills in the off season.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I really wanted to try and get my transitions down. This was a little longer than I wanted, but I am ok with it. I have been wearing bike gloves since I am having the numb issue in my fingers, so I know that takes some time...but I wear the gloves anyway. I came in 2nd for the fastest time in my group so I can't be too upset with that.
Run
  • 27m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Well as I mentioned before, I passed Brandy - this girl that I have been competing with since the start of the series (who happens to be very nice) on the bike...I knew she was behind me close, but I didn't look back to be sure. I know that we left the T2 at the same time. I thought if I can just stay within spitting distance, I can catch her. I tried SO HARD to be right behind her on the turn around so she wouldn't see me, but she looked back and about jumped 2 feet when she saw me. It was funny. I kept up with her pretty much the whole way until we got to the last water station. I was really out of breath and I took a BREATH of water instead of a gulp...and the water went down my lungs. I stood there and coughed and almost puked for what seemed like forever, but probably a few seconds. Anyway, I tried really hard to catch her, but in the end she beat me by 11 seconds. It was ok - having her right there made the race way more interesting and made me push harder. I was going to not push so hard for this race and go for the PTC race next week. Well I guess my competitve spirit just forgot all that. It turns out that the 1st place Athena finished just maybe 10 seconds before Brandy so we all finished within a minute of each other. It was close! How can you not be happy with that?

Have Don there! I missed him so much! Brandy's husband was there toward the last part of the race, and ran a little ways with her...I thought that was so nice and it made me really miss Don. I wish he could have been there.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around waiting for results - it took forever as usual. The awards thing always starts late..today was no exception...it was 30 minutes late. Ate a banana, talked to some of the other racers...made some really nice friends with the other Athenas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It would have been nice not to choke on the water in the last station. I almost passed the water station, but my calves were hinting at cramping up so I thought get a sip of water...so I should have skipped it. Oh well...live and learn.

Event comments:

I am glad that I did the series. It was fun and nice to see the same people at the races each time. I will do them again next year...maybe not all of them, but I will do some if not most. It was a great motivator to win hardware...even though if I had raced in my age group, I would not have gotten awards as much...It is still nice to get an award.

Last updated: 2006-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:45 | 656 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/512
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Take a right turn, go down about 250 meters, turn around and come back. The start of the swim is on the right side of the dock and the finish is on the left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:22 | 13.7 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 247/512
Wind:
Course: There was one pretty good hill at the beginning of the course. The others I really didn't notice that much. They were rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:37 | 03.1 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 315/512
Course: This run was a little hillier than I would have liked.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-08-20 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park

2006-08-20 8:41 PM
in reply to: #516934

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park
Hey, Nice Job! Congratulations on a great race. See you next week at PTC!
2006-08-20 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Great race...congrats for AG podium....
2006-08-20 11:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Congrats Kelly! See you at PTC.
2006-08-21 9:31 AM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Nice job! While you were on the podium I was up the freeway at the truckstop. What's it like in the lofty air of the podium?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - High Falls State Park Rss Feed