General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
Show Per page
 
 
of 2
 
 
2015-08-23 1:41 PM
in reply to: jeff417

User image

Veteran
329
10010010025
Beatrice NE.
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

3 weeks out!  I hope everyone's final preparations are going well.  Good Luck everyone.



2015-08-23 9:46 PM
in reply to: jeremy_424

User image

Member
178
100252525
Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Anyone have any invaluable race day advice?
2015-08-24 9:47 AM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Veteran
1019
1000
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77 Anyone have any invaluable race day advice?

I didn't realize how long it would take to get in the water.  My first time there I got in line to enter the water at about 6:30, and actually got in at 6:59.  Next time I lined up earlier and had about 15 minutes of chilling out in the water. Much less stressful.  

The run up the helix to T1 is awesome.

Everybody stresses out about the 3 b*tches on the bike, but the amazing crowds there will give you that little extra motivation you need to get up them. Or at least they'll entertain you as you walk your bike up.  By far the worst hill for me is the climb in to Mt. Horeb on the second loop (around mile 70 or so).  It's long, moderately steep, there's absolutely no shade and you'll hit it at the hottest time of the day, there's not a single spectator there for encouragement, and you still have so many more miles to go.  Don't let that one break you. Gut it out and there's an aid station waiting for you at the top, followed by a good hour or so of (relatively) easy riding.

On the run, chicken broth and flat coke are like the nectar of the gods. That whole rule of nothing new on race day goes out the window as soon as I see those two things. 

 

2015-08-31 10:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
271
1001002525
Rocky Mountains
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread


Edited by odanelli 2015-08-31 10:44 AM
2015-08-31 10:45 AM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

Veteran
271
1001002525
Rocky Mountains
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77 Anyone have any invaluable race day advice?

 

As you run down towards the finish line, try to take a minute to take it all in, enjoy the fact that those thousands of people lining the chute are cheering just for you.

2015-08-31 1:51 PM
in reply to: jeremy_424

User image

Pro
4675
20002000500100252525
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Many years ago I organized a BT mini-camp at the IM WI venue.  Here's a link to the video that may give some folks who wont get a chance to visit before race day a feel for the area around transition  



2015-08-31 10:06 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Member
131
10025
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77 Anyone have any invaluable race day advice?

I didn't realize how long it would take to get in the water.  My first time there I got in line to enter the water at about 6:30, and actually got in at 6:59.  Next time I lined up earlier and had about 15 minutes of chilling out in the water. Much less stressful.  

The run up the helix to T1 is awesome.

Everybody stresses out about the 3 b*tches on the bike, but the amazing crowds there will give you that little extra motivation you need to get up them. Or at least they'll entertain you as you walk your bike up.  By far the worst hill for me is the climb in to Mt. Horeb on the second loop (around mile 70 or so).  It's long, moderately steep, there's absolutely no shade and you'll hit it at the hottest time of the day, there's not a single spectator there for encouragement, and you still have so many more miles to go.  Don't let that one break you. Gut it out and there's an aid station waiting for you at the top, followed by a good hour or so of (relatively) easy riding.

On the run, chicken broth and flat coke are like the nectar of the gods. That whole rule of nothing new on race day goes out the window as soon as I see those two things. 

 




I really want my friends to see the crazy fans at the 3 b*tches hills. Any clue what mile that is?
2015-09-01 8:31 AM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

Veteran
427
10010010010025
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
I did this back in 2013 and it was one of the best days of my life; one I will never forget. By now you are tapering so don't stress out too much and trust your training. Unless you are really shooting for a Kona spot don't worry about time; soak it all in, enjoy each part of the race, think about what got you there. I really enjoyed talking to fellow triathletes the two days before the race and sharing stories, etc. Eat well, get some sleep, get excited.....you're going to do an IM!

If you can try to finish by yourself as you cross the finish line. That way you will hear your name called out as well as get some decent pics. Good luck everyone!
2015-09-01 9:20 AM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

Veteran
1019
1000
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Originally posted by scottficek
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Originally posted by buckeyeguy77 Anyone have any invaluable race day advice?

I didn't realize how long it would take to get in the water.  My first time there I got in line to enter the water at about 6:30, and actually got in at 6:59.  Next time I lined up earlier and had about 15 minutes of chilling out in the water. Much less stressful.  

The run up the helix to T1 is awesome.

Everybody stresses out about the 3 b*tches on the bike, but the amazing crowds there will give you that little extra motivation you need to get up them. Or at least they'll entertain you as you walk your bike up.  By far the worst hill for me is the climb in to Mt. Horeb on the second loop (around mile 70 or so).  It's long, moderately steep, there's absolutely no shade and you'll hit it at the hottest time of the day, there's not a single spectator there for encouragement, and you still have so many more miles to go.  Don't let that one break you. Gut it out and there's an aid station waiting for you at the top, followed by a good hour or so of (relatively) easy riding.

On the run, chicken broth and flat coke are like the nectar of the gods. That whole rule of nothing new on race day goes out the window as soon as I see those two things. 

 

I really want my friends to see the crazy fans at the 3 b*tches hills. Any clue what mile that is?

Roughly mile 45-50 (and 85-90).  Of the three, the best hill for the crazy fans is Timber Lane, right after you make the turn off of Old Sauk Road. It's very short, very steep, and they only give you a couple feet of room to go through them. They are right in your face cheering you on and chasing you up the hill.  Midtown Road is also a pretty good party. It's not nearly as steep, but a much longer climb.  

2015-09-06 1:20 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Veteran
252
1001002525
Chicago and therabouts
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Injury has forced me out this year...But will still be up there to cheer everyone on.

I know last minute but if anyone is looking for rooms still for the weekend, I have 2 at the Concourse I will not be using.

Let me know if interested or know anyone who might be.

 

Thanks

JT

2015-09-07 11:40 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Iron Donkey
38641
50005000500050005000500050002000100050010025
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Many years ago I organized a BT mini-camp at the IM WI venue.  Here's a link to the video that may give some folks who wont get a chance to visit before race day a feel for the area around transition  

 

You did put on a great camp, Birkie!  Hope you're doing well!



2015-09-07 11:43 AM
in reply to: 0

Iron Donkey
38641
50005000500050005000500050002000100050010025
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Good luck, IM MOOers!!!

I'm doing Bike SAG this year and hope to be out on the course throughout the day cheering, but I hope that you all don't need our assistance and you're race is AWESOME!!

 BTW - we are finishing up our heat wave of low 90s and high humidity - the temps will be dropping throughout the week with a high of mid to upper 60s and a possibility of thunderstorms, so prepare accordingly!

 

 



Edited by 1stTimeTri 2015-09-07 11:47 AM
2015-09-09 8:07 PM
in reply to: jeff417


2

Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
Dear Fellow Ironman Wisconsin Racers,
Good evening. My name is Lance and I am running Wisconsin for the 2nd time. My last time I completed the IMWI was in 2012. I, like a few others, are hoping for a solid race and a great time.

I am reaching out to you to ask for help. As you finish this weekend and are looking to get rid of your gear, please consider donating your used gear. Over the last two years, I helped create and fund a middle school triathlon program. We offer a fall and late winter program for our students to train between their regular sports. Our club has grown from a dozen to over 50 kids participating and loving the sport. A few have even raced during the summer on their own.

To help support these budding triathletes, I also look for donated gear to reduce the cost of the program. I am looking for swim caps, goggles, towels, gear bags, wetsuits, helmets, race belts, and maybe even a bike or two.

I will be staying in Madison through Monday around 10 am. If you are interested in donating, please send me an email at kuehnl@gmail.com. I am staying downtown Madison and can meet you near the terrace.

Thank you for your consideration.

Lance
2015-09-10 3:23 PM
in reply to: kuehnl

Iron Donkey
38641
50005000500050005000500050002000100050010025
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Originally posted by kuehnl Dear Fellow Ironman Wisconsin Racers, Good evening. My name is Lance and I am running Wisconsin for the 2nd time. My last time I completed the IMWI was in 2012. I, like a few others, are hoping for a solid race and a great time. I am reaching out to you to ask for help. As you finish this weekend and are looking to get rid of your gear, please consider donating your used gear. Over the last two years, I helped create and fund a middle school triathlon program. We offer a fall and late winter program for our students to train between their regular sports. Our club has grown from a dozen to over 50 kids participating and loving the sport. A few have even raced during the summer on their own. To help support these budding triathletes, I also look for donated gear to reduce the cost of the program. I am looking for swim caps, goggles, towels, gear bags, wetsuits, helmets, race belts, and maybe even a bike or two. I will be staying in Madison through Monday around 10 am. If you are interested in donating, please send me an email at kuehnl@gmail.com. I am staying downtown Madison and can meet you near the terrace. Thank you for your consideration. Lance

 

I will post this on an IM WI 2015 FB page that I am in.

GOOD LUCK!!

2015-09-15 12:32 PM
in reply to: 1stTimeTri

Iron Donkey
38641
50005000500050005000500050002000100050010025
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

Well, it was a great weekend!  The weather was spot on perfect - it was, without a doubt, the BEST weather conditions that the race ever had!

I worked at the bike area right away greeting participants and yelling out to make sure that they show their participant's bracelet in order to get in to the bike area, and where to go for body marking, then I was at the bike mount line yelling out to mount there and be careful down the helix, then did Bike SAG all day (I had to pull 4 off for some reason) and then pulled the last 2 riders off with less than 15 minutes to go with less than 10 miles left.  Then, finally was walking the run course from the Finish line out to the Kohl Center (just about 2 miles) to encourage my friends and most of the other racers until just after 8 pm since my sciatica finally got the best of me.

Great job to all those Finishers and to those that volunteered!  3500 volunteers to 2500 athletes - that's what makes a successful race and makes a racers' day successful!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Show Per page
 
 
of 2
 
 
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by 1stTimeTri
Views: 60102 Posts: 593

2013-11-06 7:43 AM sbsmann

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45

Started by bcagle25
Views: 95898 Posts: 1108

2012-09-19 11:52 AM Daffodil

Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by tasr
Views: 127945 Posts: 1394

2011-10-18 8:40 AM WI_tri_guy

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by pennylope
Views: 126440 Posts: 1314

2010-10-29 3:33 PM 1stTimeTri

Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by dhyte
Views: 98760 Posts: 1300

2009-09-20 9:58 PM steve1128
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2014
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I'm a fairly good climber but don't want to blow up on the run. I'm 60 and have a FTP of 230 watts. Any suggestions?
 
date : March 30, 2011
author : mikeinlaguna
comments : 6
I was in the moment, living a dream and on top of the whole world! Honestly, I wish everyone could experience that feeling because it truly cannot be described.
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?
 
date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : June 11, 2007
author : TriDDS
comments : 0
If you would have told me that I would want to train over ten hours a week for a race that can last up to 17 hours, I would have laughed. But somehow, my ACL injury has refocused my outlook on life.
 
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
comments : 0
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
 
date : December 13, 2004
author : trilover
comments : 1
TriLover recently had the opportunity to interview Tim and Nicole. Read what the DeBooms had to say about triathlon, their support for each other and life.