25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 31m 51s
Overall Rank = 923/1176
Age Group = 3539
Age Group Rank = 186/215
Pre-race routine:

Months leading up to the event:

I knew the bike would be the key leg to tackle. I could get the endurance to finish the swim, but lack technique. I'm an old fart so doubt I could improve my technique with the relatively short period of time I had. Also, cannot swim as much as I could due to family commitments.

I took up cycling a year ago and worked hard to improve it. If there is one thing I'm grateful to have done is to register to TrainerRoad. Although the majority of the workouts can easily bring tears to your eyes, it helped me improve a lot.

On the running side, I knew I was also going to suffer as I'm not a runner and the longest I had ever run was 15k. All the training was run aerobically to get the heart rate used to. I started my training with an average 9min/kmr (aerobic only) and the last month leading up to the race I was able to hold a 6min/kmr and still be within the aerobic zone. Big improvement. Base training, although it's boring, does work!

Week before the race:

I did nothing. Just rest and foam roll. I always had a doubt about nutrition whilst on the bike, so I decided to post a thread regarding nutrition on a triathlon forum. During my training I was taking one gel (23g of carbs) every hour, plus electrolyte (no carbs!). The response from experienced people concluded that I was basically starving on the bike. It was a real eye opener and was very lucky to have posted this in the last week before the race, otherwise I would've just bonked on the run.

So I increased my nutrition based on my weight as well. Increased the number of gels that I should consume in an hour, had electrolyte bottle but also 2 bottles with energy drink containing carbs. Also managed to pack enough raisins to increase my carb intake.
Swim
  • 44m 28s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water temperature was too high, so no wetsuit allowed. I was mentally prepared for it.
The swim was uneventful, Estimated time based on training: 43mins. Actual time: 44:28 mins. Not too far off.
What would you do differently?:

nothn. If i want to get faster, I need to improve technique.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

I took my time to get everything ready. Had an energy gel and packed the raisings in my back pocket and off I went. 4mins. Next time I'll do it faster.

be faster. simple
Bike
  • 3h 00m 58s
  • 90 kms
  • 29.84 km/hr
Comments:

The main objective of the first few Ks was to get my heart rate stabilised. Since I took quite a bit of time on T1 it wasn't difficult to get it stable. I was aiming for a max HR of 160, but I think the majority of the time was aroun 158-162. I was ok with that.

I got into my rythm and it was just like a training day. It was getting very hot so decided not to push harder as I wanted to have a chance to run. The raisins and the drinks with carbs helped a lot.

Good rolling surface the majority of the course, with some rough spots, one very very short hill, the majority was flat.

Estimated time based on training on similar terrain: 3 hrs. Actual: 3:00:58. This included a 2 min bathroom stop!

During my training I tried to spend as much time as I could on the aero bars. I generate more watts when I'm on the aero bars.

Nothing. all went to plan.
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

at this time it was boiling already, too hot. Had a sip of water, and ready to tackle my first half marathon! T2 Time: 2min:57sec

nothing.
Run
  • 2h 39m 27s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 07m 34s  min/km
Comments:

My first half marathon! first time running more than 15K!!

By the time I started the run, I knew I had achieved my goal:

- Finish the race.

I knew I could walk if I wanted to or run if I'd wish so. I had made it. The cutoff was 7hrs 30mins, I knew I had plenty of time to spare.

The weekend prior to the race I had done a 90k bike ride plus a 5k run straight off the bike, but I felt really tired. This time, race day, I still had energy left and the only reason for this had the be the food I took whilst on the bike. What I posted on the forum the week prior to the competition saved me lol.

I felt I had energy left, so I decided to run. The idea with the run was to do a negative split: start slow and improve the pace once you get closer to the end. But one thing I read on the web that got stuck in my head:

You don't choose the pace you'll run at. It chooses you.

I started with an 8min/k pace and wanted to finish with a 5:30min/k, but this was just myself dreaming. I did start with an 8min/k pace but the fastest I went was 7min/k, never lower than that. I could probably have gone faster, but my heart rate was already too high, it was very hot so I decided I'd rather jog and being slow and steady, than trying fast for 2 mins and walk the rest.

So I jogged, stopping twice for bathroom breaks and walking at every aid station. I think the temperature was about 33 degrees and I had never run with this heat. There was ice on every aid station that I put on my hat over my head, inside my tri suit to keep me cool. Heart rate was steady throughout the run, although high. Another key thing I did was not to exceed my heart rate in the bike too much. Sometimes I felt I could've pushed the pedals harder, but knowing I had a long day with high temperature ahead I decided not to.

Overall, I think I walked about 2 ks, including aid station stops. Next time if I want to be stronger on the run, the bike is the key.

nothing.
Post race
Event comments:

Lessons Learnt:

1) If you are in a position like me (no running or cycling background), give yourself time to train. I registered on February 27 2014 for a Race in November. This is almost 8 months to train

2) Don't attempt to increase your weekly run Ks too quick. You'll get injured.

3) TrainerRoad + thesufferfest. Do it at least twice a week. Make sure you pick workouts that hurt (120-130% FTP for example). Always do long ride on weekends

4) Get ready to wake up early to train.

5) Position on the bike is very important and money well spent. I got fit with a Retul Bike Fit and improved my wattage and reduced the soreness when riding on the aerobar. Also, cleat position is important so you don't use your calves much (you'll need it on the run)

6) Nutrition. Make sure you eat on the bike. I thought I was fueling myself properly and boy how wrong I was. Luckily I found out about this a week prior to the race.

7) If you finish your bike with a 90% maximum heart rate, There are high chances you won't run. Simple. You simply pushed too high on the bike.

8) There are three legs (swim, bike, run). Don't smash yourself in any of them. You'll pay for the mistake.

Last updated: 2014-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:28 | 1900 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/215
Overall: 0/1176
Performance: Good
Suit: Non
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 25C / 77F Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:00:58 | 90 kms | 29.84 km/hr
Age Group: 187/215
Overall: 905/1176
Wind: Some
Course: majority flat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:39:27 | 21.1 kms | 07m 34s  min/km
Age Group: 181/215
Overall: 805/1176
Course: flat loops around regatta centre
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-11-30 7:50 PM

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Western Sydney

2014-11-30 8:55 PM
in reply to: #5070913

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Western Sydney
that run was damn hot . I think everyone ran a lot slower then they wanted
2014-11-30 8:57 PM
in reply to: #5070913

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Andres, you did much, much better than you thought! Congratulations! Awesome time and experience. Also, very informative race report. Well done!!!
2014-11-30 9:26 PM
in reply to: thecouch

Hi thecouch, hope you recovered from the cramp ;-)
2014-11-30 9:27 PM
in reply to: markz

thank you Mark, enjoy your holiday!
2014-11-30 9:36 PM
in reply to: andresg_au

User image

Veteran
legs feeling pretty good today . just got bad sunburnt shoulders and neck . learnt I should train in tri top instead of gym shirt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Western Sydney Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Western Australia

Started by splerph
Views: 2320 Posts: 22

2007-12-15 4:29 PM sappho96

Started by Plazbot
Views: 1664 Posts: 10

2008-01-18 12:17 AM Dr Disaster

Started by znzbwana
Views: 1665 Posts: 1

2007-06-16 3:17 AM znzbwana

Started by Minkota
Views: 2630 Posts: 15

2006-12-26 7:12 PM rollinsw

Started by Traveski
Views: 2987 Posts: 22

2006-01-11 11:21 AM vanezo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.