Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Looking for newbie guidance Rss Feed  
Moderators: kaqphin, alicefoeller Reply
2014-11-30 11:14 PM

New user

Adelaide, South Australia
Subject: Looking for newbie guidance
Hi folks,

I'm hoping for some guidance from you all regarding where and how to start training for my first triathlon. I'm moving to Melbourne next year and was hoping to try my hand at a short distance tri to see if I'm into it or not.

I have a road bike and feel fairly confident with that having ridden on & off for the last few years. The running will be a struggle as I am really unfit at the moment however I have a couch to 5k podcast that I can run with and I have run before.

My main concern (fear) is swimming. I am not a strong swimmer and have a real fear of open water having had a bad experience a few years ago. My lack of fitness means swimming consists of 50m laps with longish rests.

Should I just persist and focus more on spending time in the pool or follow a beginner program?
Does the fear of open water swimming ease with time?
What is the basic equipment I should get in order to do my first tri?

Thanks,
Robbo

2014-12-15 5:37 AM
in reply to: Robbo68

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Looking for newbie guidance
Robbo

Melbourne has so many pools and squads you will be fine.

I'm not sure where in Melbourne you will be but John Van Wisse has a swim squad most weekday mornings and evenings at Klim Swim in Sandringham. Check out www.johnvanwisse.com

I thought i would be really struggling with him but he has time for everyone of all levels.

If you want some one on one coaching then Brenton Ford from Effortless Swimming runs swim clinics in Melbourne with video analysis.

Feel free to PM me when you get to Melbourne! I am also a slow runner happy to join you for a jog!
2014-12-15 6:44 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

New user

Thanks Jo,

I'll be in the South Morang/Epping area for two years. I'm hoping that I can take a slowly does it approach as I don't want to get overwhelmed and give up like I've done in the past. So that'll mean a bit of running and swimming when shift work allows and cycling on weekends for a release/relax. The suggestions you've given me are great thanks. I've heard of Brenton before and seen some of his videos.

The options in Melbourne are pretty much endless depending on my schedule and hip pocket I guess. My first goal is to build up the swimming fitness and confidence and try a sprint tri. Probably one in the Gatorade series.

I'll keep in touch anyway and maybe get out for a run sometime.

Take care,
Robbo
2014-12-15 7:04 PM
in reply to: Robbo68

User image

Elite
Brenton is a good friend of mine so will happily connect you two if need be.

not sure what else is available your side of town but there are tri clubs EVERYWHERE!

2014-12-15 9:11 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

New user

That would be great.

I'd like to is I can afford it. With the move we are down to a single wage so it'll again be a hip pocket issue. It would be worth it though if I can.

We're only being posted for a couple of years but I want to make the most of the time.

Thanks again,
Malcolm
New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Victoria » Looking for newbie guidance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Relative newbie from Melbourne!

Started by engima
Views: 1426 Posts: 8

2014-06-22 6:04 AM Casie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!